BW Willy

Rules On Ca Street Legal Duning - Permit?

What's needed? I've got season pass for my truck, toyhauler with CA Street Legal Manx inside. While driving Manx in dunes or sitting at camp - do I need another permit for Manx?

Edited by BW Willy

You need to get a FREE tow in pass from the Ranger Station. Once you put that pass on your street legal car you cannot drive down the 78 or on Gecko Road for the duration of your stay in the ISDRA.

You need to get a FREE tow in pass from the Ranger Station. Once you put that pass on your street legal car you cannot drive down the 78 or on Gecko Road for the duration of your stay in the ISDRA.

Good information - Thanks! Not sure I understand the BLM logic on not using 78 or Gecko? That would also be an issue if driving to Boardmanville too? What would keep me from removing tow in pass to bypass these rules?

What ever you do they will still find a way to give you a ticket.

Here is the exception for some reason, I can ride my dual sport motorcycle everywhere and never be bothered.............just add whip.

Good information - Thanks! Not sure I understand the BLM logic on not using 78 or Gecko? That would also be an issue if driving to Boardmanville too? What would keep me from removing tow in pass to bypass these rules?

If you did and they saw you. You might have a hard time convincing them that you were not recreating in the ISDRA in a street legal Sandrail that would either A.) need a permit to recreate IE a pass or B.) a tow in pass that would forbid you from being on the road to Boardmanville.

So yea your going to get a ticket just which ticket do you want.

A street legal jeep with street legal tires might pull it off but a Manx with paddles your not going to sell that.

If you did and they saw you. You might have a hard time convincing them that you were not recreating in the ISDRA in a street legal Sandrail that would either A.) need a permit to recreate IE a pass or B.) a tow in pass that would forbid you from being on the road to Boardmanville.

So yea your going to get a ticket just which ticket do you want.

A street legal jeep with street legal tires might pull it off but a Manx with paddles your not going to sell that.

Thanks...........either way, not worth the ticket! Good stuff to know now rather than after being pulled over while at G!

Bringing this subject back up - I've used the free tow in pass.  Can I buy a weekend pass and use on street legal manx - and not get a ticket in the dunes?

I will be going out with my Manx for the first time this weekend and I guess I will need the tow in permit.  What would be the best way to get one when coming in late?  Is it true they need to see it on the trailer to get one? 

10 hours ago, Desert Guy76 said:

I will be going out with my Manx for the first time this weekend and I guess I will need the tow in permit.  What would be the best way to get one when coming in late?  Is it true they need to see it on the trailer to get one? 

call

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 9:08 PM, BW Willy said:

IMG_6110.JPG

Nice, If your going to be running paddles I would get the free tow-in pass. Your not going to run into town.

Mike

On 11/10/2015 at 6:14 PM, MWB said:

The BLM claim that the primary vehicle that bought you to the dunes needs a pass yet if you tow in a street legal vehicle and drive it on pavement it needs a pass. Just another example of the BS the BLM makes up to take more of our money.  

I have been hauling my street legal Manx in my toy hauler for ten years or more,Pull the car out of the trailer and ride in the dunes all weekend,and never have had any issues ,sometimes I leave my street tires on and ride up to north glamis through dirt roads,streets,along the railroad trails then come back to the dunes and swap to the paddles and ride for days.I thought it was legal,I see people tow in street legal trucks and jeeps all the time and they never get a vehicle pass.Perhaps Ive just been lucky.

Johnny

I have been dunning a jeep for the last couple seasons with my tow in pass taped in my front window.  It never expires but it's hard to catch the office manned except for big weekends.  

You won't get messed with in your Manx with paddles.

Thanks for the information guys.   I will be running paddles and won't be on the roads. If don't get in to late will try to get a pas. Was worried I had to take it on a trailer for them to issue one and dont want to deal with that the next morning.

On 11/10/2015 at 5:56 PM, BW Willy said:

What's needed? I've got season pass for my truck, toyhauler with CA Street Legal Manx inside. While driving Manx in dunes or sitting at camp - do I need another permit for Manx?

you will need a tow in permit from rangers station.

can a tow in permit be obtained online So one doesn't have to turn down gecko road?  Also whats this permit cost?

The "Rule" is BLM Bullshit! The courts will throw it out as long as you are running DOT tires on the Highways! This BLM "Rule" deal is falling apart if it isn't in the California (Mexifornia) Vehicle Code they can't make it stick! If you towed it in, get the permit and if you want to run to town, make sure your tires are changed and go! (Take the Permit down and don't go out via the Paved Road were they would check! Screw them..............

17 hours ago, stetler said:

can a tow in permit be obtained online So one doesn't have to turn down gecko road?  Also whats this permit cost?

I believe you have to tow it to the Gecko station. They are free if it is on the trailer. We have some Texas friends who do this.

Edited by Air450

I really think the tow in pass is if you want to drive on the street legal roads, aka. gecko, 78, Ted Kipf rod and so forth.  They don't care if you are in the dunes...........just my take.

12 minutes ago, Cookie said:

I really think the tow in pass is if you want to drive on the street legal roads, aka. gecko, 78, Ted Kipf rod and so forth.  They don't care if you are in the dunes...........just my take.

That is only 180 degrees off, but nice try to make sense of a stupid rule if you're not using the area why would you need a permit? 

Papa Bear, How would you make it so people could not just say that the truck they towed there rig with to the dunes is just there for off road purposes and therefore not needing a user's pass ?

I think that the driving on the roads is a little BS but how does Johnny Law sitting on Wash Road that you towed the jeep in and it's not your primary transportation.  Like said pull down the pass and flag and drive down the 78 just be careful returning you then look like somebody trying to get out of paying for a pass