BW Willy

Rules On Ca Street Legal Duning - Permit?

43 minutes ago, Papa Bear said:

That is only 180 degrees off, but nice try to make sense of a stupid rule if you're not using the area why would you need a permit? 

This is what a ranger told me when I was riding my Dual Sport in the dunes, bike is plated with blinkers and everything.  Came into camp, checking registrations, he said if I was going to ride "on road" I would need a towed in permit. Please explain to me why a Motorcycle would be any different than a towed in jeep?

14 minutes ago, Cookie said:

This is what a ranger told me when I was riding my Dual Sport in the dunes, bike is plated with blinkers and everything.  Came into camp, checking registrations, he said if I was going to ride "on road" I would need a towed in permit. Please explain to me why a Motorcycle would be any different than a towed in jeep?

You just proved my point, they want you to get the permit to use it in the dunes, you're already street Legal! My point exactly, if your running a paddle and not a DOT tire you're in Violation of CVC.

Edited by Papa Bear

5 minutes ago, Papa Bear said:

You just proved my point, they want you to get the permit to use it in the dunes, you're already street Legal! My point exactly, if your running a paddle and not a DOT tire you're in Violation of CVD. 

I needed no permit to ride in the dunes..............only on gecko.  Not sure I proved anything???

Just now, Cookie said:

I needed no permit to ride in the dunes..............only on gecko.  Not sure I proved anything???

You are using the ISDRA within the fee area! The point is if it is street legal it is a BLM rule and NOT CVC!

The primary vehicles (street legal) do need permits if they are used in the fee area. This means if you tow in a street legal vehicle, you need either the ISDRA permit, or a tow-in permit. If you obtain a free tow-in, you can use the vehicle in the fee area, like it was an OHV, and cannot use it on the roads within the fee area. If you are observed using the vehicle on the "public highways" you can be cited under a violation of the CVC 38301a "It is unlawful to operate a vehicle in violation of special regulations which have been promulgated by the governmental agency having jurisdiction over public lands, including, but not limited to, regulations governing access, routes of travel, plants, wildlife, wildlife habitat, water resources, and historical sites." 

So counter to PapaBear's opinion, it is a violation of the CVC to follow his advice... Now whether its bureaucratic over-reach to have this rule in the first place is another matter. 

If you come in when the ranger station is not open, I would recommend you set up your vehicle so that it is clear its being used as an OHV, and its less likely you will have issues. That said, the above is the "law" and its best to get the permit.