bryan1

How to file a BLM complaint?

Not sure why there are people suggesting you should not bother with a complaint. It's not like there is a line out the door of people willing to complain. The apathy and unwillingness to drive back to El Centro to deal with these issues is a big part of the problem. They are not going to be able to stop taking these complaints if they deem them frivolous. Follow through with it. If it was me I would want to know, at a minimum, that the ranger was contacted by his superiors and told to justify his actions. Hopefully that would at least make him think twice before banging a flashlight on someone's property. If these guys are allowed to continue to act like tyrants, without having to explain it to their bosses, then this behavior will never stop and will in fact get worse. 

The BLM as an organization has a huge issue with the public. They need to work on their public relations. Lets not forget the nevada and oregon cases, these were not spur of the moment events. This what built up antimosity on both sides that finally boiled over to the public saying they are not taking it anymore. The BLM should get ahead of this issue they have at our local deserts, I do believe if we have incidents again like we did when the young man had his neck severely injured  by an LEO for not having a pass ( http://freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1030524/posts ), or off duty sheriffs being pepper balled for no reason, OR AS I HAVE PERSONALLY WITNESSED a BLM officer hitting a quad rider on purpose to get them out of the way as they were responding to another call (a 17 year old girl who was riding a trx400 at approx. 40 mph he his her from behind and she lost her footing and ran over her leg), there could be an oregon event at glamis. You bet your arse I am skeptical and on guard any time I am approached by BLM enforcement. THEY EARNED THIS AS AN ORGANIZATION THAT HAS A HISTORY OF ABUSING THE VERY PEOPLE THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO SERVE. Our local field office has a problem, you can't fix it by ignoring it or not reporting it. I would be mad too if a cop was banging on my truck for no reason, BLM, CHP, ETC

11 hours ago, AlpineFunco said:

Not sure why there are people suggesting you should not bother with a complaint. It's not like there is a line out the door of people willing to complain. The apathy and unwillingness to drive back to El Centro to deal with these issues is a big part of the problem. They are not going to be able to stop taking these complaints if they deem them frivolous. Follow through with it. If it was me I would want to know, at a minimum, that the ranger was contacted by his superiors and told to justify his actions. Hopefully that would at least make him think twice before banging a flashlight on someone's property. If these guys are allowed to continue to act like tyrants, without having to explain it to their bosses, then this behavior will never stop and will in fact get worse. 

Check tickets, the court could be in San Diego federal court.

Mine was years ago, took my attorney (friend) up the night before, bought beers and lap dances for his fees and got it dismissed.

10 hours ago, sausage450r said:

The BLM as an organization has a huge issue with the public. They need to work on their public relations. Lets not forget the nevada and oregon cases, these were not spur of the moment events. This what built up antimosity on both sides that finally boiled over to the public saying they are not taking it anymore. The BLM should get ahead of this issue they have at our local deserts, I do believe if we have incidents again like we did when the young man had his neck severely injured  by an LEO for not having a pass ( http://freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1030524/posts ), or off duty sheriffs being pepper balled for no reason, OR AS I HAVE PERSONALLY WITNESSED a BLM officer hitting a quad rider on purpose to get them out of the way as they were responding to another call (a 17 year old girl who was riding a trx400 at approx. 40 mph he his her from behind and she lost her footing and ran over her leg), there could be an oregon event at glamis. You bet your arse I am skeptical and on guard any time I am approached by BLM enforcement. THEY EARNED THIS AS AN ORGANIZATION THAT HAS A HISTORY OF ABUSING THE VERY PEOPLE THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO SERVE. Our local field office has a problem, you can't fix it by ignoring it or not reporting it. I would be mad too if a cop was banging on my truck for no reason, BLM, CHP, ETC

Is there any follow up on this story?  That is incredibly sad. 

PS if your issue is not addressed at the El Centro field office, there is a office in Moreno Valley that is the district main office and is supervisory over the El Centro field office. 

Name: California Desert District Office
Address: 22835 Calle San Juan De Los Lagos
Place: Moreno Valley, CA
Zip: 92553
Phone Number:  (951) 697-5200

If you can't get help at the Moreno Valley office you can contact the main office for California. 

CA BLM structure:

Https://www.blm.gov/wo/st/en/info/directory.html

BLM org chart:

https://www.blm.gov/style/medialib/blm/wo/Business_and_Fiscal_Resources.Par.33189.File.dat/blm_org_chart.pdf

Edited by glamisrider1

On 1/1/2017 at 6:54 PM, old flatty said:

...which is why I always lower all the windows in my truck...especially at night....even at the BP checkpoint.

Expired tags ?????

Why put your family in that position in the first place ?

You should be searching for "what to do when I get pulled over by the police recommendations" instead of complaining to the BLM.

You have no valid complaint in my opinion.

Wow !!!...are really that stupid  big goverment Liberal or just naive :blink:.... they are there in large numbers to justify there Jobs. I  witnesse in the washes they pulled over hundreds to give tickets to a capture public

Check how many BLM asshloes where at olds hill during the week when hardly anyone was there  

IMG_3049.JPG

2 hours ago, BIG MIKEY said:

Wow !!!...are really that stupid  big goverment Liberal or just naive :blink:.... they are there in large numbers to justify there Jobs. I  witnesse in the washes they pulled over hundreds to give tickets to a capture public

Check how many BLM asshloes where at olds hill during the week when hardly anyone was there  

IMG_3049.JPG

Wow there's more BLM in that picture then people.  It may be a misleading photo I guess, but that stuff right there is what starts push back from the public.  That in my opinion is ridiculous. I count close to 30 trucks in that picture.  Looks a bit like the Bundy stand off or Standing Rock to me.

I would love to here you librials on this site explain why that right there is nessary. It has been brought up in this thread, anyone have any real case info on even one officer actually being assaulted since 2001 in Glamis?  I can find several actual documented cases where people have been assaulted and filed complaints and lawsuits against BLM but have yet to come across one that has been the other way.  

I have been visiting glamis since I was a child in the 80s and besides a few years in the 90s it has always been in my opinion self regulating and an enjoyable experience for all. 

It was brought up in another thread that no one minds their presence when someone is hurt. Well my friends, that is a totally different set of BLM personal that are stationed there and have a different job.  I have first hand witnessed the BLM law enforcement (NOT EMT) enter a crash site and demand everyone back up including trained offduty medical personal already helping victims when BLM rescue is not on site yet. To the point of shoving said helpers out of the area.    

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 1/3/2017 at 9:08 AM, fabr said:

I'm not defending them. I'm saying the way people conduct themselves has a lot to do with how the overall contact experience will turn out.   

Two way street.  According to the OP, the officer started the conversation with a metal flashlight to a glass window that had a kid on the other side.  As a father of 2, that is a guaranteed way to reduce the amount of respect I give in return. 

We aren't Somalis waiting in line for rice from the local warlord, we're Americans.  It is perfectly reasonable to expect respectful treatment from Law Enforcement.

Since Chicago might get some federal officers sent that way maybe Trump should send up the BLM Thugs. Let's see  how tough they are with real bad guys. They like this easy job down at Glamis abusing the power on Families.

Make Glamis Great Again.

On 1/9/2017 at 1:57 PM, Rockwood said:

Two way street.  According to the OP, the officer started the conversation with a metal flashlight to a glass window that had a kid on the other side.  As a father of 2, that is a guaranteed way to reduce the amount of respect I give in return. 

We aren't Somalis waiting in line for rice from the local warlord, we're Americans.  It is perfectly reasonable to expect respectful treatment from Law Enforcement.

x2, you have to be a parent to understand. I will go ballistic if I feel any sort of threat to my kids. Never understood until I had kids myself.

1 hour ago, warlock250 said:

Since Chicago might get some federal officers sent that way maybe Trump should send up the BLM Thugs. Let's see  how tough they are with real bad guys. They like this easy job down at Glamis abusing the power on Families.

Make Glamis Great Again.

I think that is a great Idea. How would it go over if we all started writing trump in regards to the BLM situation across the western US? I wonder if we would get some change. So far he is following through with promises. If you just listen to what he says, and don't listen to the media follow up were they rip it apart and turn it into something its not, he is very inspiring. I dug his inaugural address, and loved his speech today on border security. listening to the news tonight those effers sure heard alot of chit i didnt. Having lived along the border my whole life, I welcome the border patrol going back to the border. Only crime we have in my town is illegals stealing shit

Edited by sausage450r

The problem with overagressive BLM Rangers at Glamis is threefold imo. 

1) They feel less dignified and feel slighted by other LEO's in the Federal Government because they are Journeyman GS-11's and Supervisory GS-12's. Where as other Federal LEO's in different agency's with less given LEO authority are GS-12 and 13 Journeyman levels and Supervisory 14's.  Then top that off with the fact that they are assigned in El Centro, CA. It's a little easier pill to swallow if you are assigned somewhere nicer and with a cheaper cost of living than So Cal. Imagine if you were a BLM Ranger in the Western U.S., would El Centro really be your choice location? No, unless you were a local. The Rangers in Yuma, Dumont, St. Anthony's and I'm sure other places are not even close to the same bad attitude.

2) Zero Tolerance on Holiday Weekends. Let's face it the majority of yearly ISDRA visitors come on Holiday Weekends. Add in to that equation zero tolerance and detailed LEO's from similar Department of Interior agencies and it makes for an unpleasant contact (mandatory eviction, fine, citation or arrest) when you "break" the rules. Detailed LEO's are only there to collect Per Diem and overtime. They are directed to write as many citations as they see violations. It's a win win for them and then they go home.

We can all thank Zero Tolerance on the majority G crowd from the late 90's and Early 2000's and for whatever reason the Rangers seem to have forgotten that those people and days are for the most part gone and in the past. That leads us into #3.

3) El Centro field office Rangers having the authority given to them by the Imperial County Sheriff to cite and arrest under CA and Imperial County Laws and Statutes. Giving BLM Rangers at the ISDRA Peace Officer status in the State of CA has really changed the dynamic of the way they "police" the ISDRA. Having that authority really opens the world to them on how they can make things very expensive and highly unpleasant for those that they wish to impose their authority on.

If you think the Rangers only purpose in life is to generate revenue for the federal government or Imperial County then you would be mistaken. They could care less about how much money is generated from their citations and where that money ends up. They can and will use their authority to cite you in a way that you have to pay a maximum penalty but that would most likely be determined by his attitude, about and during the contact or stop. An example of that would be writing a no helmet citation under Federal regulations or under CA laws. You will be subject to a much higher fine under CA law.

Now as a whole, for DOI and BLM the more visitors and contacts they have by their LEO's at the ISDRA or any other BLM Rec area the more they are justified in the amount of money they are given or not given in their local field office budgets by the Feds. So the field office director will dictate/impress upon the lead field office Ranger to have his troops make as many "contacts" as possible and aren't we quite lucky that our ISDRA Rangers can use their CA Peace Officer authority to initiate more "contacts" when their federal authority falls short for them......

If you want to change the way they "police" at the ISDRA, formally document all complaints/abuse of authority and civil rights violations about your "contact" to all levels of the Government both local and federal. If enough legitimate situations are brought to the forefront then maybe the Imperial County Sherriff will revoke their CA Peace Officer authority. Which will drastically change the dynamic in the way they "police" the ISDRA.

Edited by steveo525

57 minutes ago, steveo525 said:

Now as a whole, for DOI and BLM the more visitors and contacts they have by their LEO's at the ISDRA or any other BLM Rec area the more they are justified in the amount of money they are given or not given in their local field office budgets by the Feds. So the field office director will dictate/impress upon the lead field office Ranger to have his troops make as many "contacts" as possible and aren't we quite lucky that our ISDRA Rangers can use their CA Peace Officer authority to initiate more "contacts" when their federal authority falls short for them......

Excellent!

This is how it works for government agencies. Budget justification, it's all statistically driven so in a power point presentation during a budget meeting they can show a need for more money. They never say they need less, EVER! The stats they use (contacts) weather your ticket was thrown out or not is still counted.  

Kind of like when cities tear up several streets at the end of each year. Can't leave unused money lying around, they'll reduce their next year's budget. No incentive to save the taxpayer's money.

1 hour ago, steveo525 said:

The problem with overagressive BLM Rangers at Glamis is threefold imo. 

1) They feel less dignified and feel slighted by other LEO's in the Federal Government because they are Journeyman GS-11's and Supervisory GS-12's. Where as other Federal LEO's in different agency's with less given LEO authority are GS-12 and 13 Journeyman levels and Supervisory 14's.  Then top that off with the fact that they are assigned in El Centro, CA. It's a little easier pill to swallow if you are assigned somewhere nicer and with a cheaper cost of living than So Cal. Imagine if you were a BLM Ranger in the Western U.S., would El Centro really be your choice location? No, unless you were a local. The Rangers in Yuma, Dumont, St. Anthony's and I'm sure other places are not even close to the same bad attitude.

where did you get this info? I think you are a tad off. for example in the VA a LEO is like this

1) officer - GS6

2) Cpl GS7

3) Sgt - 8,9

4 )Lt - 9

5)  Cap - 10, 11

6) Dep Chief 11,12

7) Chief 12,13

I don't know what LEO you are talking about but across the board they are underpaid. I have spoken to SEVERAL rangers and the highest was a 9 & highest supervisor was a 13.

1 hour ago, BRINGENKAOS said:

where did you get this info? I think you are a tad off. for example in the VA a LEO is like this

1) officer - GS6

2) Cpl GS7

3) Sgt - 8,9

4 )Lt - 9

5)  Cap - 10, 11

6) Dep Chief 11,12

7) Chief 12,13

I don't know what LEO you are talking about but across the board they are underpaid. I have spoken to SEVERAL rangers and the highest was a 9 & highest supervisor was a 13.

Guess I should have prefaced it with the word, "some" other LEO's in the federal government. Such as Border Patrol Agents, CBP OFO officers, ICE Deportation Officers, and non-uniformed LEO's like HSI SA's, DEA agents, FBI agents, etc. They are all journeyman level 12's w/ exception of a few of those agencies w/ journeyman level up to 13's. BLM Rangers are 5/7/9 up to 11, journeyman level. In some locations they may only have Journeyman GS-9 positions.

Q. Where did I get this information?

A. From friends that I have that are/were BLM Rangers in other areas.

The point I was trying to make in my post, is that the Rangers I know, believe that they should be afforded the same GS up-grades as other agency Journeyman grade levels that I have mentioned above. 

And as I stated in my original post, this is my opinion.

Edited by steveo525

I would be interested to hear what is being said at there morning briefings.   It would be nice if the ASA could get one of there people who have either Federal LEO experience or Local LEO experience to sit in and listen to how the out of towners are instructed.

1 hour ago, MWB said:

I would be interested to hear what is being said at there morning briefings.   It would be nice if the ASA could get one of there people who have either Federal LEO experience or Local LEO experience to sit in and listen to how the out of towners are instructed.

I'm sure this is said, "don't eat the crayons".

I worked the Glamis detail five times when they had the mutual aid grant for all the LEO's several years ago.  They handed me a bunch of blank cites at the briefing and said, fill out as many as you can.  I wrote a total of one cite over the course of five holiday weekends, most of my partners did the same or less.  Only reason I wrote it was because the kid pulled up and parked next to me with no whip at the drags and everyone was looking at me....had to do something.  I signed it off right there anyway.  I did however, find a stolen truck, stop a drunk parolee doing doughnuts around trailers in a truck and responded to several serious medical aids.  My department enforced the spirit of the law not the letter.  We were there to keep the peace not to drive up stats.  We did not get along with the BLM guys and did not approve of their way of enforcing the laws in Glamis.  Most of the Imperial Deputies felt the same way.   They had BLM from all over the country so it was like a field trip for them.  I talked to one BLM guy who was from Wyoming....and I'm pretty sure he had never made an arrest before coming to Glamis.  It was so bad by the end the grant that we would drive off when a BLM ranger would pull up to talk to us.  We did not want to be associated with them.

~jw

Edited by jwest2sh

4 minutes ago, jwest2sh said:

I worked the Glamis detail five times when they had the mutual aid grant for all the LEO's several years ago.  They handed me a bunch of blank cites at the briefing and said, fill out as many as you can.  I wrote a total of one cite over the course of five holiday weekends, most of my partners did the same or less.  Only reason I wrote it was because the kid pulled up and parked next to me with no whip at the drags and everyone was looking at me....had to do something.  I signed it off right there anyway.  I did however, find a stolen truck, stop a drunk parolee doing doughnuts around trailers in a truck and responded to several serious medical aids.  My department enforced the spirit of the law not the letter.  We were there to keep the peace not to drive up stats.  We did not get along with the BLM guys and did not approve of their way of enforcing the laws in Glamis.  Most of the Imperial Deputies felt the same way.   They had BLM from all over the country so it was like a field trip for them.  I talked to one BLM guy who was from Wyoming....and I'm pretty sure he had never made an arrest before coming to Glamis.  It was so bad by the end the grant that we would drive off when a BLM ranger would pull up to talk to us.  We did not want to be associated with them.

~jw

The difference is in the mindset of the officers which I believe comes down from the top.

This is a great to time make some serious push back against these Barney Fife wanna be mother focktards who most likely couldn't ever get any authority at a job where promotion is earned rather than given.

The times however they are a changing and I've never been accused of being much of an optimist but wow Trump is doing much better than I had even hoped.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/01/26/andrew-napolitano-trump-has-committed-most-revolutionary-act-ive-seen-in-45-years.html

"Then he ordered a truly revolutionary act, the likes of which I have never seen in the 45 years I have studied and monitored the government’s laws and its administration of them. He ordered that when bureaucrats who are administering and enforcing the law have discretion with respect to the time, place, manner and severity of its enforcement, they should exercise that discretion in favor of individuals and against the government."

This is radical coming from any president in the modern era of government-can-do-no-wrong. It is far more Thomas Jefferson, the small-government champion with whom Trump has never been associated, than it is Theodore Roosevelt, the super-regulator whom Trump has stated he admires. It recognizes the primacy and dignity of the individual and the fallibility of the state. It acknowledges the likely demise of ObamaCare. It is utterly without precedent since Jefferson’s presidency.

Trump’s revolutionary act is a breeze of freedom on a sea of regulation. It recognizes something modern governments never admit -- that they can be and have been wrong. It is exactly as Trump promised.

Read the bold part a couple of times and let that sink in.

2 hours ago, jwest2sh said:

~jw

Thank you for speaking directly about your experiences. Also, thanks for enforcing the spirit of the law as opposed to the letter of the law out there where common sense dictated how you policed. I have also assisted out there for many years, many moons ago (off and on from 2000-2008 and all in the South Dunes BC and Gordon's) For the most part, I don't share the same opinion about the Rangers at the ISDRA as I do other BLM Rangers that work in different areas of the country. 

Your post is a great example of how Police Officers and Sheriff's Deputies handle themselves with the public in a positive manner.

It has been years since the BLM has detailed real Police Officers from outside State and Local agencies to assist them with enforcement on the Holiday weekends.

The detailed LEO's I referred to in my post are all Rangers that work for The Department of Interior. Such as U.S. Forrest Service Rangers, U.S. Park Service Rangers and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Rangers and other BLM Rangers from all over the Western United States. They are there to write citations, make arrests, collect overtime and per diem, and most importantly "see" the show, nothing more. Like you said, there are many detailed there over the years that have never even made a lawful arrest.

We still see ICSO Deputies out there but I believe for the most part that even the BLM Rangers have rubbed them the wrong way.  They are there because the dunes are in their County and ICSO still gets a bunch of money from the Feds to augment staffing levels, overtime and LEO coverage.

Edited by steveo525

How about we get rid of the blm's Leo's and just have the icso do the enforcement, at least they answer to somebody and their is an actual chain of command and responsibility for their actions.

I like the trump idea, he understands that we need less government and this would be a great place to start.

If fact we could send all those BLM trucks to border patrol for the 5k new agents their hiring :)

For everyone that said they wished BLM would get kicked out of glamis, it may be a possibility in the next 4 years. The Republican congress has basically said that Federal land is worthless, and are using that line to give Federal land to the states. Some interesting highlights from the article below:

http://www.businessinsider.com/congress-lays-groundwork-to-get-rid-of-federal-land-and-national-parks-2017-1

"At stake are areas managed by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), National Forests and Federal Wildlife Refuges, which contribute to an estimated $646bn each year in economic stimulus from recreation on public lands and 6.1m jobs. Transferring these lands to the states, critics fear, could decimate those numbers by eliminating mixed-use requirements, limiting public access and turning over large portions for energy or property development."

"Historically, when federal lands have been transferred to states, they have become less accessible. Idaho sold off almost 100,000 acres of its public land between 2000 and 2009. In Colorado, access has been limited the public can only use 20% of state trust land for hunting and fishing."

It seems everyone is in agreement that BLM needs to go, but just keep in mind that closing most of Glamis and turning it into wind farms might be the way CA decides to use its newly acquired land.

10 minutes ago, agent4573 said:

For everyone that said they wished BLM would get kicked out of glamis, it may be a possibility in the next 4 years. The Republican congress has basically said that Federal land is worthless, and are using that line to give Federal land to the states. Some interesting highlights from the article below:

http://www.businessinsider.com/congress-lays-groundwork-to-get-rid-of-federal-land-and-national-parks-2017-1

"At stake are areas managed by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), National Forests and Federal Wildlife Refuges, which contribute to an estimated $646bn each year in economic stimulus from recreation on public lands and 6.1m jobs. Transferring these lands to the states, critics fear, could decimate those numbers by eliminating mixed-use requirements, limiting public access and turning over large portions for energy or property development."

"Historically, when federal lands have been transferred to states, they have become less accessible. Idaho sold off almost 100,000 acres of its public land between 2000 and 2009. In Colorado, access has been limited the public can only use 20% of state trust land for hunting and fishing."

It seems everyone is in agreement that BLM needs to go, but just keep in mind that closing most of Glamis and turning it into wind farms might be the way CA decides to use its newly acquired land.

Would be not in favor of giving the dunes to Gov. Moonbeam to manage...

13 minutes ago, agent4573 said:

I'd rather have the feds "own" the ISDRA than Cali. That would be a disaster.