HozayKwarvo

What CAN I do in Glamis?

Posted (edited)

There's been a lot of discussion, meetings, posts, and talk on both sides of rules and regulations and what we can't do at the ISDRA. Even in recent years we've had ordinances and other statutes come down and "take away" what some would have considered rights or privileges (pallets, tires, bottles, magnesium, comp at night, etc.). We could certainly compile a list of the things that we CAN'T do (especially since there isn't a good comprehensive list in one single place), that said, there are a lot of things that we CAN do at the ISDRA (legally), many of which we can't do at any other federally managed public OHV area. I'd like to compile a list of the things that we CAN do at the ISDRA... help me out, would ya? Especially those that have frequented other OHV areas :thumbup:

Edited by HozayKwarvo

We can be harassed by untrained, unprofessional assclowns that have no clue what they are doing.   

Just now, SANDPSYCHO said:

We can be harassed by untrained, unprofessional assclowns that have no clue what they are doing.   

There is that :dunno: ...but I was shooting for something else :lol: 

1 minute ago, HozayKwarvo said:

There is that :dunno: ...but I was shooting for something else :lol: 

Funny you mention shooting...  Cant do that either.

For starters... it isn't trail riding. I grew up near trails and you had to stick to them, going off trail was equivalent to riding in the closures at G... and would possibly close the entire trail system. You can ride anywhere and everywhere that is open, pick your own line and hope your talent carries you to the next dune. That type of freedom isn't found everywhere!

Also speed limits... with the common sense exceptions of near camp and others you can go as fast as your talent will take you. Some OHV areas are faaaar more restrictive

1 minute ago, Kat-A-Tonic said:

Funny you mention shooting...  Cant do that either.

You can't shoot in an OHV designated area :bangin: ...just about any other BLM land you can though. To be honest, I'm not willing to sacrifice an inch of riding area for shooting when we have so many places to shoot in the SW region already. :thumbup: 

You can drop anchor anywhere you want (10ft? from the road), the camping spaces aren't designated and I don't have to have a reservation to show up! :hethan: 

You can ride all day and all night. Some areas are shut down from ~dusk to ~dawn... NIGHTRIDE! :hozay: 

You can lay your bike over without breaking a lever! 

You can circle the wagons with 30 plus RV's 

It's a rule but hardly enforced. And aside from a few loud people I am glad. 

No real quiet hour at 10. Hoot n holler,  laugh, be a jackass etc.

Generally around a camp fire of course.

NO SPEED LIMIT IN THE DUNES!!!

Fast forward to about half way for the real fun.

No spark arrestor or sound ordinance to adhere to like other OHV parks. 

8 hours ago, HozayKwarvo said:

You can't shoot in an OHV designated area :bangin: ...just about any other BLM land you can though. To be honest, I'm not willing to sacrifice an inch of riding area for shooting when we have so many places to shoot in the SW region already. :thumbup: 

Brian, a technicality maybe...but you cannot legally shoot in the entire ISDRA. Not even in the blood sacrifice to the phony eco-religion known as the closures.

Ride motorcycle with no helmet 

1 hour ago, mike dee said:

Ride motorcycle with no helmet 

Is this true? I thought local ISDA ordinance no helmet no ride

5 minutes ago, bgchlln said:

Is this true? I thought local ISDA ordinance no helmet no ride

He’s joking. 

2 minutes ago, BCannon said:

He’s joking. 

No, he's actually correct.    They way the law reads is helmets are required for ATVs.   It even says on The BLM  site that helmets aren't required on dirt bikes, but they are recommended.    I've always wanted to go ride around the drags with no helmet and watch the vultures swarm, only to tell them how to do their jobs yet again.   

I've always thought it's nice that we can drink in public at the dunes.     

11 minutes ago, mellen_mpz said:

No, he's actually correct.    They way the law reads is helmets are required for ATVs.   It even says on The BLM  site that helmets aren't required on dirt bikes, but they are recommended.    I've always wanted to go ride around the drags with no helmet and watch the vultures swarm, only to tell them how to do their jobs yet again.   

No kidding?! That’s interesting. 

2 minutes ago, BCannon said:

No kidding?! That’s interesting. 

But that's only off road. The law still requires helmets on motorcycles operating on the street.

Maybe it's a not so hidden hope that we undesirable types who ride off road will kill ourselves?

I always find it strange you can ride double on a Motorcycle, but not a quad.............who knows about three wheelers ;)

Just now, Cookie said:

I always find it strange you can ride double on a Motorcycle, but not a quad.............who knows about three wheelers ;)

You can ride double on a quad but it has to of been made for a second passenger at the factory. There is a Can-Am that has this and I have seen one rolling across the base of Olds a few years ago.  I am sure at some point a LEO stopped him but I did not see it happen.

I think that is the same for the bikes.  If it has factory installed pegs in the back you can carry a passenger if not your rolling solo.