Jump to content


  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

6 Neutral

About nvusone

  • Rank

Previous Fields

  • Campsite
  • Your Ride

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Any local can tell you this is common place with the Imperial County courts. They always seem to be late to file tickets or issues, saying things are not correctable and such. I have personally had this happen twice in El Centro, where I've shown up for court and they have no record of the ticket. Then Ill get a letter in the mail with a "notice of correction" with a new court date, wammo, they found the case. CHP trooper told me the court clerks seem to send back lots of citations for these corrections, which just backs up the system even more. And I seem to recall that just about any equipment violation can be correctable... so you should talk to a traffic lawyer.
  2. Most folks seem to agree, its just wrong to do. Now as to the legality, I think it boils down to this, in my experience with the Federal Government and most laws in general. The law doesn't, explicitly, say that you CAN dump "grey water" which in most definitions is "waste water." As such, if a law or rule does not explicitly allow you to take such action, the action's legality is left to the interpretation of the administering authority, ie landowner, in this case the BLM. BLM has no rule or law allowing the dumping the OP has mentioned in this case, and in fact has rules that at face value seem to make clear the desire to have ALL waste that is brought in, to be packed back out, aka "leave no trace." Now that that is clear as mud, lets talk about California law, specifically 374.3 of the Penal Code. "It is unlawful to dump or cause to be dumped waste matter in or upon a public or private highway or road, including any portion of the right-of-way thereof, or in or upon private property into or upon which the public is admitted by easement or license, or upon private property without the consent of the owner, or in or upon a public park or other public property other than property designated or set aside for that purpose by the governing board or body having charge of that property. So with the above section of California law in mind, it is clearly a violation to dump any waste without the consent of the BLM, which as I stated above, has not been given. If you look further down in the penal code, it states the fines for the violation is at a minimum, 250, with a max of 1000 for a first offense. As Cali residents also know, you have to add fees to any fine assessed, which will push the total payment into the $1800 range for the max. So for the TL:DR crowd, you have to ask... is it worth a possible 1800 fine to dump your waste? Is it worth all the time you will have to put into fighting the charge, with IMO, the slim chance you will win? Just call the honey pot guys, or pull camp to Dunes Edge or Gordons Well and dump it in the correct places.
  3. Only the online ones expire. The one we got at the ranger station is good for a year from the issue date.
  4. That only applies to vehicles upon the highway... You can still get slapped with a penal code 374 violation when you don't own the land. The original poster should be glad he didn't get hit with that charge.
  5. He came to our camp at Midway. Gave a buddy a ticket because his season pass was on the inside of the window, not on the outside. Seemed like he is a cut and dry guy, but wasn't an ass about anything. We did see him out near A7 in his truck next day too, so its not like he spends all his time looking for tickets to write.
  6. The primary vehicles (street legal) do need permits if they are used in the fee area. This means if you tow in a street legal vehicle, you need either the ISDRA permit, or a tow-in permit. If you obtain a free tow-in, you can use the vehicle in the fee area, like it was an OHV, and cannot use it on the roads within the fee area. If you are observed using the vehicle on the "public highways" you can be cited under a violation of the CVC 38301a "It is unlawful to operate a vehicle in violation of special regulations which have been promulgated by the governmental agency having jurisdiction over public lands, including, but not limited to, regulations governing access, routes of travel, plants, wildlife, wildlife habitat, water resources, and historical sites." So counter to PapaBear's opinion, it is a violation of the CVC to follow his advice... Now whether its bureaucratic over-reach to have this rule in the first place is another matter. If you come in when the ranger station is not open, I would recommend you set up your vehicle so that it is clear its being used as an OHV, and its less likely you will have issues. That said, the above is the "law" and its best to get the permit.
  7. As I recall, the issue with the CanAm demo was more to do with the SRP (commercial activity permit) they had with the BLM, as it stipulated that CanAm would have registration on all the vehicles used for demo use on public lands. A local dealer with valid DMV dealer plates that cover their vehicles should be fine loaning that vehicle out for a customer to demo at glamis. That dealer wouldn't need the SRP as it is the customer taking the vehicle to glamis and using it. But, as Papa said, it could possibly mean a citation and a challenge.
  8. Yes, they will, provided you have the dealers OHV registration. All OHV's must be registered with the owners state of residence. If your state of residence is one of the 14 states that don't have an OHV registration program, then you must purchase a Non-resident OHV permit.

More Links

©2001 GlamisDunes.com.
All rights reserved.


Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.