Desertdogs

Class A Non-commercial Licensing In San Diego Area

Congrats. Have any difficulties?

Andy

Congrats. Have any difficulties?

Andy

Missed a point here and there, nothing major.

Thanks for the advice all.

I passed this today. :yay::yay: I was taken on the same route except we got off at Avocado instead of Casa De Oro. Everything else was exactly as the write up says. My tester said that most people who fail the test are the ones that don't study for the pre trip. Good luck.

With thanks to Turbaru, I took my Class A-Non-Commercial Tests today.

Like he and some others said, it is a no-s*** for real testing process. I actually got there about 20 minutes early, and they were able to start earlier. Brought in my license, permit, registration for trailer and truck, and proof of insurance.

The pre-inspection test is just like in the book, touch everything, and tell them what you are looking for, let them tell you to stop. Do complete vehicle, and complete trailer. During my pre-inspection, he actually said let's get in the truck and get ready for the skills test. Don't stop!!!! This is where I got my only errors..... this happened as I stepped back to check for levelness of the truck AND the trailer (2 points here, 1 for each). I assumed he was good, got in. And then he dinked me for the fire extinguisher check...which was sitting right beside him. arrggh! Don't argue (I didn't) they are right and you'll only make it worse and raise your own blood pressure. :bangin: they can ask you about gauges, fuses, flashlights, etc. Then he asked about all the indicators and switches in truck: headlights, high beam, defroster, horn (use it!), turn signals, wiper, drivers window (yes!) passenger door, seatbelt, parking brake and foot brake. Clean glass/mirrors are a must!

Skills test is next, it's on the ROP yard next to Jamacha. This was easy, but if you're not used to backing your rig on off camber landscape, you might want to practice somehow. Basic stopping at a limit line, backing up (on a slope that makes the trailer want to go to the right (downhill side) Watch the cones. Then an alley dock, uphill against the slope; don't hit any cones. In this one you can pull forward up to 5 times to straighten out (only inched it up once, cause I didn't like the angle on the inside cone) and stop no more than two feet from a cone you can't see, there are corner cones to guide you. Then up and around and a right turn around a cone. For this one, there are two white marks that you have to put the trailer tires thru, it was a cinch. NO ERRORS :sha:

On to driving test. I'm going to lay-it-out, so that local peeps can check it out. I understand that they can vary the test; I'll speak of that at the end. You take off up Jamacha Road, make a right on Hillsdale, and then another right to pass Valhalla High school. This ahs them checking your right turns, looking at traffic, and keeping the tires off the curbs. Then at the top of Hillsdale, pull over and park uphill, dork* the tires, and check brakes, etc. Then up over the top and on the downhill side, pull over and park downhill tires, brakes, etc. At this point he asked me about the procedures for downhill driving..so state braking, lower gears, runaway ramps, etc. He asked me a few questions on the braking systems. then at the bottom, you turn right on Willow Glen Road (alongside Cottonwood Golf Course) and head back towards Rancho San Diego. Mind your braking behind vehicles, got to see the tires! His seat was lower and he was shorter, so we had a brief moment when he asked me if I could see the tires and I responded "Yes". Minor seat adjustment on his side and more room between vehicles in front (no points subtracted...but this is something to adjust for) Left onto Jamacha Road, and head towards 94. Couple of lane changes on Jamacha, and then onto 94. Guess I was doing good, since we turned off at Casa De Oro Sweetwater Exit, left turn there, left turn onto Sweetwater, and then another left turn back onto 94. Back thru RSD, and then a left turn on to Fury Lane to go behind the shopping centers. One thing, as you notice traffic situations, and find yourself having to brake hard or wait to do his instructions, VERBALIZE IT! I did my test at 1 pm, so there was heavy traffic and at one point a nice shiny BMW cut me as I was changing lanes.

At the next light, a right turn on to Via Rancho San Diego Drive. This was the other exciting moment...as this is a hard right turn, single lane; with a bike lane next to you. I kept the trailer wide, had lights on for the turn, and at the stop light, had a Merc and a BMW stopped behind me; when light went green, and I pulled forward to start the turn...both vehicle made the right turn inside me as I was turning!! Single lane turn..WTF!! (Both were women drivers for those of you who like to keep score.) I joked if he got their license plate. The inspector was shaking his head at this obvious display of sh##%^ty driving skills and courtesy. From here, went behind the stores on to a Right turn on Brabham Lane, then a left turn on to Jamacha, and back to the ROP/DMV facility.

NOTE: The entry to this facility is a bit of off-camber with bumps, so 5ers, watch your truck bed/apron clearance

Passed!!! 2 down checks: Apparently, I didn't check for traffic well enough thru two intersections. Book says slow down and check; thought I did, but what the heck..passing score with only 2 down marks.

The part that I didn't get, that someone else did, was the overpass height check. Didn't go under any on this route; but I was prepared with trailer height (13'10" 07 SLC3905) Book states 14' is maximum for normal loads. Nor did he ask me any questions about signage.

In talking with these guys, they were unaware of the CHP enforcement on licensing. They stated that they had been wondering why so many people were starting to take these tests. Mentioned that they should be seeing a steady stream soon; and spoke of some of the stuff that has been going on up in O.C. and L.A. (stories from the board..without naming the board :wink: ) These guys are pretty good guys, and very helpful. Guy came who had a firefighter license, added the 'A' non-comm; yet when he got pulled over, the trailer for non-comm wasn't on his temporary license. The inspector is taking him over to the office to have it fixed. WOW! Note: Since the guy was on leisure time, the firefighter endorsement didn't qualify, the CHP pointed that out. So it looks like they are even taking into account the ones that are employment rated.

When I picked up my permit, I noted that it said I had to have a licensed driver with me. DMV (Normal street) said as long as I was driving it to the test site, CHP/Police should be lenient. Mentioned this (after the fact!!) to the testers...they too felt the same way. However....I got the names/numbers of the DMV folks and a written statement to cover my arse. That being said, I remember reading somewhere that in certain places the fuzz was actually ticketing folks driving up to DMV facilities for their test. So if you any of you peeps here in San Dog want a licensed person to accompany you, drop me a note or PM me, and I'll see what I can do. Am taking a week off here in the near future, so I might be able to ride shotgun if ya need.

I'll post route tomorrow.

Good luck all.....

Route URL (sorry for the size) http://maps.yahoo.com/broadband#mvt=m&...50936&mag=4

New office in Spring Valley, moved from the Kenwood site:

3322 Sweetwater Springs Blvd, Spring Valley, CA 91977

Call them at 619-660-3902. You can do the written test walk-in (20 questions common sense) but call to schedule the driving and skills test.

NOTE: In the handbooks, use the number under the driving test to schedule, not the one under the skills test.

AWESOME advice !

Does anyone have a similar comment or advice for the Escondido DMV ?

Like he and some others said, it is a no-s*** for real testing process. I actually got there about 20 minutes early, and they were able to start earlier. Brought in my license, permit, registration for trailer and truck, and proof of insurance.

The pre-inspection test is just like in the book, touch everything, and tell them what you are looking for, let them tell you to stop. Do complete vehicle, and complete trailer. During my pre-inspection, he actually said let's get in the truck and get ready for the skills test. Don't stop!!!! This is where I got my only errors..... this happened as I stepped back to check for levelness of the truck AND the trailer (2 points here, 1 for each). I assumed he was good, got in. And then he dinked me for the fire extinguisher check...which was sitting right beside him. arrggh! Don't argue (I didn't) they are right and you'll only make it worse and raise your own blood pressure. :bangin: they can ask you about gauges, fuses, flashlights, etc. Then he asked about all the indicators and switches in truck: headlights, high beam, defroster, horn (use it!), turn signals, wiper, drivers window (yes!) passenger door, seatbelt, parking brake and foot brake. Clean glass/mirrors are a must!

Skills test is next, it's on the ROP yard next to Jamacha. This was easy, but if you're not used to backing your rig on off camber landscape, you might want to practice somehow. Basic stopping at a limit line, backing up (on a slope that makes the trailer want to go to the right (downhill side) Watch the cones. Then an alley dock, uphill against the slope; don't hit any cones. In this one you can pull forward up to 5 times to straighten out (only inched it up once, cause I didn't like the angle on the inside cone) and stop no more than two feet from a cone you can't see, there are corner cones to guide you. Then up and around and a right turn around a cone. For this one, there are two white marks that you have to put the trailer tires thru, it was a cinch. NO ERRORS :sha:

On to driving test. I'm going to lay-it-out, so that local peeps can check it out. I understand that they can vary the test; I'll speak of that at the end. You take off up Jamacha Road, make a right on Hillsdale, and then another right to pass Valhalla High school. This ahs them checking your right turns, looking at traffic, and keeping the tires off the curbs. Then at the top of Hillsdale, pull over and park uphill, dork* the tires, and check brakes, etc. Then up over the top and on the downhill side, pull over and park downhill tires, brakes, etc. At this point he asked me about the procedures for downhill driving..so state braking, lower gears, runaway ramps, etc. He asked me a few questions on the braking systems. then at the bottom, you turn right on Willow Glen Road (alongside Cottonwood Golf Course) and head back towards Rancho San Diego. Mind your braking behind vehicles, got to see the tires! His seat was lower and he was shorter, so we had a brief moment when he asked me if I could see the tires and I responded "Yes". Minor seat adjustment on his side and more room between vehicles in front (no points subtracted...but this is something to adjust for) Left onto Jamacha Road, and head towards 94. Couple of lane changes on Jamacha, and then onto 94. Guess I was doing good, since we turned off at Casa De Oro Sweetwater Exit, left turn there, left turn onto Sweetwater, and then another left turn back onto 94. Back thru RSD, and then a left turn on to Fury Lane to go behind the shopping centers. One thing, as you notice traffic situations, and find yourself having to brake hard or wait to do his instructions, VERBALIZE IT! I did my test at 1 pm, so there was heavy traffic and at one point a nice shiny BMW cut me as I was changing lanes.

At the next light, a right turn on to Via Rancho San Diego Drive. This was the other exciting moment...as this is a hard right turn, single lane; with a bike lane next to you. I kept the trailer wide, had lights on for the turn, and at the stop light, had a Merc and a BMW stopped behind me; when light went green, and I pulled forward to start the turn...both vehicle made the right turn inside me as I was turning!! Single lane turn..WTF!! (Both were women drivers for those of you who like to keep score.) I joked if he got their license plate. The inspector was shaking his head at this obvious display of sh##%^ty driving skills and courtesy. From here, went behind the stores on to a Right turn on Brabham Lane, then a left turn on to Jamacha, and back to the ROP/DMV facility.

NOTE: The entry to this facility is a bit of off-camber with bumps, so 5ers, watch your truck bed/apron clearance

Passed!!! 2 down checks: Apparently, I didn't check for traffic well enough thru two intersections. Book says slow down and check; thought I did, but what the heck..passing score with only 2 down marks.

The part that I didn't get, that someone else did, was the overpass height check. Didn't go under any on this route; but I was prepared with trailer height (13'10" 07 SLC3905) Book states 14' is maximum for normal loads. Nor did he ask me any questions about signage.

In talking with these guys, they were unaware of the CHP enforcement on licensing. They stated that they had been wondering why so many people were starting to take these tests. Mentioned that they should be seeing a steady stream soon; and spoke of some of the stuff that has been going on up in O.C. and L.A. (stories from the board..without naming the board :wink: ) These guys are pretty good guys, and very helpful. Guy came who had a firefighter license, added the 'A' non-comm; yet when he got pulled over, the trailer for non-comm wasn't on his temporary license. The inspector is taking him over to the office to have it fixed. WOW! Note: Since the guy was on leisure time, the firefighter endorsement didn't qualify, the CHP pointed that out. So it looks like they are even taking into account the ones that are employment rated.

When I picked up my permit, I noted that it said I had to have a licensed driver with me. DMV (Normal street) said as long as I was driving it to the test site, CHP/Police should be lenient. Mentioned this (after the fact!!) to the testers...they too felt the same way. However....I got the names/numbers of the DMV folks and a written statement to cover my arse. That being said, I remember reading somewhere that in certain places the fuzz was actually ticketing folks driving up to DMV facilities for their test. So if you any of you peeps here in San Dog want a licensed person to accompany you, drop me a note or PM me, and I'll see what I can do. Am taking a week off here in the near future, so I might be able to ride shotgun if ya need.

Good luck all.....

Route URL (sorry for the size) http://maps.yahoo.com/broadband#mvt=m&...50936&mag=4

Call them at 619-660-3902. You can do the written test walk-in (20 questions common sense) but call to schedule the driving and skills test.

NOTE: In the handbooks, use the number under the driving test to schedule, not the one under the skills test.

AWESOME advice !

Does anyone have a similar comment or advice for the Escondido DMV ?

Related Question:

I pull a 28' 5'r (< 15k GVWR) with my F350 and occasionally will tow my Jeep behind the 5'r as well (double tow).

The overall length including TV, 5'r and Jeep is 62 feet.

Does this set up require a non-commercial Class A?

Related Question:

I pull a 28' 5'r (< 15k GVWR) with my F350 and occasionally will tow my Jeep behind the 5'r as well (double tow).

in california that setup requires not only a commercial license but you will also need doubles endoprsement too...

Edited by Dr. Feelgood

Hey guys I went to my local DMV a few years ago and this what I got, I have a WW LE3105 5er....

I guess im good?

Recreational Trailer Endorsement

A driver must have a fifth-wheel recreational trailer endorsement added to his/her Class C driver license to pull a fifth-wheel recreational trailer over 10,000 lbs., but not over 15,000 lbs. GVWR, which is not used for hire. This endorsement is not required if the driver has a Class A or Noncommercial Class A driver license.

There is no fee unless your license expires within six months.

You will take a law test for a noncommercial Class A license based on the information contained in this booklet. You must also pass the Class C law test unless you qualified for a Class C license within the past twelve months.

You are not required to submit a Health Questionnaire.

You are not required to take a driving test to add a Recreational Trailer endorsement to your current license.

No other tests are required.

Edited by Uplink

Hey guys I went to my local DMV a few years ago and this what I got, I have a WW LE3105 5er....

I guess im good?

A driver must have a fifth-wheel recreational trailer endorsement added to his/her Class C driver license to pull a fifth-wheel recreational trailer over 10,000 lbs., but not over 15,000 lbs. GVWR, which is not used for hire. This endorsement is not required if the driver has a Class A or Noncommercial Class A driver license.

You will take a law test for a noncommercial Class A license based on the information contained in this booklet. You must also pass the Class C law test unless you qualified for a Class C license within the past twelve months.

You are not required to take a driving test to add a Recreational Trailer endorsement to your current license.

Have you ever weighted your rig loaded?

That will give you your answer.

The Non-Commercial Class A is not much of a problem, just add a pre trip inspection and road test.

Related Question:

in california that setup requires not only a commercial license but you will also need doubles endoprsement too...

He is correct.

Aside from the hassle of getting the class A license with a doubles endorsement, the other down side is you can no longer go to traffic school should you get a moving violation. Divers with commercial licenses are not allowed to go to traffic school. Should you have a drink and get stopped your max blood alcohol level is .04% which is for most about 1 beer an hour, or 0.00 if driving a commercial vehicle. While the California Vehicle Code defines a commercial vehicle as a for hire vehicle, DMV classifies pickups as commercial on the registration. So where exactly that would fall is up to the judge presiding over your DUI case.

I guess im good?

The Non-Commercial Class A is not much of a problem, just add a pre trip inspection and road test.

classifications of license goes by the sticker on the trailer not the load put in it...for example my fiver is rated above 15k gvwr but i only have 2 quads...lol...still need the non com a because the sticker says it can carry more then 15k...even if i towed it empty by law im still required to get a non com a

I guess im good?

classifications of license goes by the sticker on the trailer not the load put in it...for example my fiver is rated above 15k gvwr but i only have 2 quads...lol...still need the non com a because the sticker says it can carry more then 15k...even if i towed it empty by law im still required to get a non com a

What happens in the event the CHP put your rig on a set of portable scales that I've seen.

Wouldn't that be considered driving out of class?(due to weight)

I guess im good?

What happens in the event the CHP put your rig on a set of portable scales that I've seen.

99% of the time they look at the sticker I am good as it 15K.

Still I may take the whole test and get it done.

Thanks

I guess im good?

iirc no... towing more than manufacured recommendations is not against the law....towing a load exceeding tire weight ratings is though....or if the officer thought your load was "unsafe" he could cite you ....but of course he could site you for unafe load even if properly licensed....

Good luck all.....

I took my commercial class a at this same site w/ a 75' car hauler, try moving that beast around that dirt lot in the rain! also, I don't know if the testing is the same, but pay attention to all of the road signs( speed limit, trucks right lane only, etc. ), this was one of 2 dinks I got on my test, the other was trying to parallel park my trailer ( 3 tries). also like he said keep your temper under control, and smile.

Passed my Non-commercial Class A.. Wow what a relief. It was way easier than I thought.

I missed a few things.

1. Check Rims on Tow Vehicle and Trailer

2. Check trailer for level and check the trailer frame for bends defects.

3. On train tracks do not shift gears.

4. Tell the tester that you have to check the brakes before you go downhill.

Anthony

Good write up, my experience was the same at this site. The only dinks I got on the driving portion was not stoping before the line @ intersection and I should have been in the right hand, left turn lane on a left turn. As stated already be thourough on the pre trip inspection, better to go above what is needed. Talk/touch everything.

im taking the test in escondido this thursday the 12th anyone else taking it at the escondido office? any tips?

I wish all this info was here months ago. The biggist thing I can remind people is to have someone with the license you are going for or better with you, It is in the book that way but I thought I may pull a fast one on them. The first question when I showed up for my test was who came with you? I say "I came alone." The instructor says "you are not eligible to drive under your permit without having a driver with the proper license with you." I am sure you all remember, just like when we first got our licenses. I had to set up another appointment and drag along a friend with a class A commercial and all was cool. The funny thing was we get to the DMV, El Centro, the instructor asks to see his license, looks at it and says OK, go sit and wait.... then we go drive around for an hour.

I wish all this info was here months ago. The biggist thing I can remind people is to have someone with the license you are going for or better with you, It is in the book that way but I thought I may pull a fast one on them. The first question when I showed up for my test was who came with you? I say "I came alone." The instructor says "you are not eligible to drive under your permit without having a driver with the proper license with you." I am sure you all remember, just like when we first got our licenses. I had to set up another appointment and drag along a friend with a class A commercial and all was cool. The funny thing was we get to the DMV, El Centro, the instructor asks to see his license, looks at it and says OK, go sit and wait.... then we go drive around for an hour.

This wasn't an issue at the Spring Valley test site when I took my test. Although I guess the written rule will be the same it probably just depends on the tester.

This wasn't an issue at the Spring Valley test site when I took my test. Although I guess the written rule will be the same it probably just depends on the tester.

from all the theads i have read here and on rv.net you are the first to say the instructer asked how you got your rig there......im not worried though..but the dmv clerk was not specific on which office to go to in escondido the commerical facility or the regular dmv facility???

I just looked at the sticker on my trailer and its 11000 GVWR....I guess I'll start preparing for my non-comm A

Edited by Merriman®

from all the theads i have read here and on rv.net you are the first to say the instructer asked how you got your rig there......im not worried though..but the dmv clerk was not specific on which office to go to in escondido the commerical facility or the regular dmv facility???

I called the Spring Valley test site before my appt. and they said it wasn't a big deal to drive your self, you might want to call them to find out if it is the same at the escondido site.

took the test this am in escondido..no problems passed and now have the correct license

I was pulled over the first weekend in October for speeding on the S22. I was giving a fix-ticket for not having a class A non commercial license and a warning for speed. My trailer is rated at 16000lb I knew I had to have the license just never went down, just glad I never got into a accident, that when all the trouble would start. Have taking and passed all testing required and legal.