SailAway

So What's Up With S B 742?

Just wondering if anyone else is curious about what's up with SB742?

I have to admit, I lost heart at the end there with all the nonsense and secret squirrel stuff going on and, well, I haven't finished reading the enrolled version. I'll finish it up before this time tomorrow.

I hear conflicting rumors... on the one hand I hear that the anti-access folks were all up in arms about how it ended and felt they had gotten a rotten deal. When that came to me I have to say it had the feel of a planted rumor and now I'm hearing rumors that the OHV community actually got the fuzzy end of the lollipop on this.

*sigh*

Has anyone out there read it all the way through?

What's good about it? What's bad about it?

It's not too late to stop it... no signature yet... anyone have any thoughts on this?

VickiW

I too find it rather odd that the Gov has not signed this thing yet.

Given that it passed both legislative body's rather easily and is a work product of most of the major stakeholders, one might think this might have already happened.

It is not at my fingertip's at this moment, but I believe the Gov has until about October 14 or so to sign, veto, or "pocket veto" the bill.

Perhaps the Resources Agency is not "warm and fuzzy" about SB 742.

The parties that were at the table knocking this bill out came to an agreement on its contents. The California Wilderness Coalition was one of the parties representing the environmental side. At the Sept. 20th OHMVR Commission meeting Brent Schoradt from the CWC made public comment that it was tough for both sides to give up some items in order to make the program work.

One RUMOR that I've heard is that at least one of the Commissioners is very unhappy about getting much of the Commissioners powers stripped away.

Ride on

Brewster

CERA...assistant LAO

One RUMOR that I've heard is that at least one of the Commissioners is very unhappy about getting much of the Commissioners powers stripped away.

I find this interesting in that the program's stakeholders seem to be in agreement and since the Commissioner should be representing both the special interest he/she may represent (and the overall will of the OHV recreationist), why then would we want such a person on the Commission?

funny...

i was wondering what was goin on too! havent heard much talk bout it lately...

:popcorn:

Last Update

In a nutshell, as of today, October 5th, the Governor has 9 more days. October 14th is the magic date. He had over 500 bills that went to his desk a few weeks ago.

In a nutshell, as of today, October 5th, the Governor has 9 more days. October 14th is the magic date. He had over 500 bills that went to his desk a few weeks ago.

But geeze Vicki, his own Resources Agency/Department of Parks and Recreation/OHV Division was directly involved in the process and talks. They seem to be fine with SB 742. I've heard no noise from them that would indicate different.

So, this being said, why would their boss (the Gov) not make a decision soon after enrollment?

[so, this being said, why would their boss (the Gov) not make a decision soon after enrollment?

It 's really part of the master plan.

We asked the governor not to sign it so you all would have something to talk about.

J/K ........ As far as we know it's on a path for a signature

We asked the governor not to sign it so you all would have something to talk about.

J/K ........ As far as we know it's on a path for a signature

Now that the 'negotiations' are over, I guess some of us were hoping for more substantive information. :dunno:

Like for instance, from those involved in the process, what are the good and bad things about this important legislation? What did 'we' get? What did 'we' lose?

VickiW

[so, this being said, why would their boss (the Gov) not make a decision soon after enrollment?

Quite a responsible statement as part of the leadership of the OHV community. :nag:

But what would one expect from the very same leadership that knowingly and willfully kept their membership and the OHV community in general in the dark about SB 742.

Sept 11, 2007

The long road to take our OHV Program back from those wishing to end our sport has almost arrived.

Senator Steinberg's bill, SB 742 PASSED the legislators and now we await the Governor to sign it.

Send Emails urging the Governor to sign SB742, to preserve the OHVMR Program and our opportunity to ride.

Thanks to those that called their representatives.

In the September issue of our Off Roader In Action newsletter, President Ed Waldheim explains our situation on page 4.

The complete bill can be found here:http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/07-08/...ed_asm_v94.pdf

Last amendments here:http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/07-08/bill/sen/sb_0701-0750/sb_742_bill_20070906_amended_asm_v93..html

Guess someone forgot to let CORVA in on this little plot, I'll email Wayne and tell him to remove this but in all seriousness, our leadership need not be rattling any cages as to their closed door practices.

Meg Grossglass commented “I hope the process by which this ordinance was crafted is repeated in counties looking at similar ordinances. Other counties have not taken into consideration the needs of all members of their constituency, San Bernardino County wanted to address those concerns and followed through with an ordinance that is fair and reasonable to all citizens.”

The Governor dose what he dose with SB742 at this time, what we better not see is press releases like the from ORBA about the San Bernardino ordinance, this was not a "model" to be followed by anyone and most definitely nothing to be proud of...TJ :nono:

Edited by TomJeeps

Come on guys ..lighten up

It was a lighthearted joke

I'm laughing. :laugh:

Come on guys ..lighten up

It was a lighthearted joke

I understand what you were attempting to do here Grant, but after some contact with someone who has been involved in the OHV program since the start, I'm finding myself more than just a bit worried about SB 742. I expect this week to get a disected analysis of how we got outsmarted by the opposition.

All depends on how much money winds up in the so called left over restoration account, which this bill dose not specify an amount, this could be good or bad but I will say this, Division blocking a vote on moving some of that money to other categories at the last meeting gives me heart burn. My word to other States is don't follow us, not after the way the route designation process is going, was actually a funny joke Grant but when it comes to this program we're not finding much humor in anything...TJ

Edited by TomJeeps

Quite a responsible statement as part of the leadership of the OHV community. :nag:

But what would one expect from the very same leadership that knowingly and willfully kept their membership and the OHV community in general in the dark about SB 742.

It's obvious that Grant meant this as a lighthearted joke.

Please do not use this as a means to start another ASA or other org. bashing thread.

With all your contacts I'm surprised you don't have all the information that you want Sailaway and Duck.

Just for a little education folks:

Bills waiting to be signed can sit and most likely will sit until the final day before they are signed.

500 bills is a huge amount for the Govenor to become briefed on by staff. Please remember that he must also do his day to day schedule and in the big picture while this bill is very important to the off road community it is probably not on the hot sheet for the states issues.

All some are asking for is the details.

Keep the people that will be most affected by this in the dark since "the public doesn't know what's good for them".

All some are asking for is the details.

Keep the people that will be most affected by this in the dark since "the public doesn't know what's good for them".

Many times strategy is everything in politics and this appears to be the case in this circumstance. Until the bill is signed it appears that the information you are seeking will not be released and I have understood that to be the case through the entire course of this bill.

In the past I have witnessed someone come in who is completely clueless and only looking to draw attention to themselves, leak out valuable strategy and put the whole issue at risk.

Needless to say that paticular person is never trusted again.

Grant and other Board members:

Thank You for continuing to tell us what you can share with us and continuing to post in the issues forum.

When the timing is correct we welcome you to share with us the final outcome on SB742

With all your contacts I'm surprised you don't have all the information that you want Sailaway and Duck.

All the information that I want? This isn't just about me... or even just about me and PhantomDuck. Please don't take this to a personal level.

The people who sat at that table did so as representatives of the community I hold near and dear to my heart.

This secret squirrel stuff isn't good for anyone... certainly not for the community being left in the dark and not even for the ones who believe they "know what's best for us."

Now... just to be crystal clear...

The negotiations are over on this legislation.

The time is past for secrecy. If there ever was a need, it's long gone now.

All that's being asked is what has been asked all along... for some kind of information on this legislation from the people who negotiated on 'our' behalf... something that will reassure the community that this "sweeping legislation" will be good for us.

We were told in the beginning that the silence was necessary to promote negotiations, which are over and done now. Gaining some insight into this legislation can only benefit all of us in the off-road community.

VickiW

In the past I have witnessed someone come in who is completely clueless and only looking to draw attention to themselves, leak out valuable strategy and put the whole issue at risk.

Needless to say that paticular person is never trusted again.

All this Cloak and Dagger crap is the problem, I once told Greene to her face if you keep us in the dark don't bitch about what we do or say, that statement stands to this day and always will...TJ

Please do not use this as a means to start another ASA or other org. bashing thread.

Bills waiting to be signed can sit and most likely will sit until the final day before they are signed.

500 bills is a huge amount for the Govenor to become briefed on by staff. Please remember that he must also do his day to day schedule and in the big picture while this bill is very important to the off road community it is probably not on the hot sheet for the states issues.

I didn't take what Grant posted as some sort of joke, rather I saw it as a way to "stirr the pot".

Take a closer look at the thread and you will find that posts Vicki W or I have made had nothing in them that questioned nor called out any org (only the OHV leadership in general) UNTIL Grant posted what he did.

And to the point about contacts, I (as stated above) received a very disturbing email from someone in the know that causes me a great deal of concern about SB 742.

And, given the Agency, Department, and Division were directly involved in the process, would you not think that the Gov has not already been briefed enough to make a decision? Perhaps you forgot or don't know that in the very early days of SB 742, the Gov indicated to Senator Steinberger that the bill was "DOA" if he didn't make (take) some significant amendments from its introduced form. That is what drove the "stakeholder" process undertook by all involved.

Laurie, I live and make my living in this state and I'm directly affected by legislation such as this. I don't believe you can state the same.

I have the credentials and the contacts to back-up my posts and when I find our OHV leadership may be going down a path that effects me and my way of making a living, I will do what it takes to inform all effected folks to question said leadership.

All the information that I want? This isn't just about me... or even just about me and PhantomDuck. Please don't take this to a personal level.

You are the thread originator and you continually tell us about all the people you have as contacts and I am surprised that you are not more educated on the final outcome. Nothing more, nothing less.

The people who sat at that table did so as representatives of the community I hold near and dear to my heart.

Being as these representatives are volunteers I can only assume that it is dear to their heart as well. They deserve our respect.

This secret squirrel stuff isn't good for anyone... certainly not for the community being left in the dark and not even for the ones who believe they "know what's best for us."

While I understand your point, sometimes unfortunately it is necessary because there are every changing strategy's that may need to be used.

Now... just to be crystal clear...

The negotiations are over on this legislation.

We would need to agree to disagree on this. I would not be surprised to hear that lobbyists from both sides are continuing to try and gain the governors ear for future issues.

The time is past for secrecy. If there ever was a need, it's long gone now.

Again we would need to agree to disagree. The bill is not signed.

All that's being asked is what has been asked all along... for some kind of information on this legislation from the people who negotiated on 'our' behalf... something that will reassure the community that this "sweeping legislation" will be good for us.

We were told in the beginning that the silence was necessary to promote negotiations, which are over and done now. Gaining some insight into this legislation can only benefit all of us in the off-road community.

The good news is there is only a few more days to wait.

VickiW

It's been my observation in the past that asking nicely seems to work better than demanding. I'm simply asking nicely for information when the timing is right so that we may all become educated.

I have found that every time I have called to achieve information on this bill I have been brought to up to date with vast amounts of information.

Edited by Fastlane

Let's be clear here. While most in the OHV leadership are volunteers, they hire legislative advocates to do the important work. And from what I'm told, the current lobbyist for the OHV orgs in Sacramento are not OHV recreationist and have only been involved in our issues for a relatively short time in the "big picture" of OHV legislative advocacy in California

500 bills is a huge amount for the Governor to become briefed on by staff. Please remember that he must also do his day to day schedule and in the big picture while this bill is very important to the off road community it is probably not on the hot sheet for the states issues.

I didn't take what Grant posted as some sort of joke, rather I saw it as a way to "stirr the pot".

Take a closer look at the thread and you will find that posts Vicki W or I have made had nothing in them that questioned nor called out any org (only the OHV leadership in general) UNTIL Grant posted what he did.

And to the point about contacts, I (as stated above) received a very disturbing email from someone in the know that causes me a great deal of concern about SB 742.

And, given the Agency, Department, and Division were directly involved in the process, would you not think that the Gov has not already been briefed enough to make a decision? Perhaps you forgot or don't know that in the very early days of SB 742, the Gov indicated to Senator Steinberger that the bill was "DOA" if he didn't make (take) some significant amendments from its introduced form. That is what drove the "stakeholder" process undertook by all involved.

Laurie, I live and make my living in this state and I'm directly affected by legislation such as this. I don't believe you can state the same.

I have the credentials and the contacts to back-up my posts and when I find our OHV leadership may be going down a path that effects me and my way of making a living, I will do what it takes to inform all effected folks to question said leadership.

I'm quite aware of what has been said in this thread Duck.

Until it is clear, the final outcome, I clearly understand that you have concerns. It's always a "split the babies" deal at the table.

I have absolutely no intention of sharing with you my financial holdings Duck. What you believe about my financial holdings is your opinion but certainly has no fact. Please refrain from insinuating that you do have that knowledge.

Again please share with us facts and verified information if you care to.

As far as credentials and contacts? I also have my share.

:kg: Who said anything about your "financial holdings?"

All I said is that I'm a resident of California and make my living directly from OHV use here in California.

Just ask Slappy. He knows who I am and where I work.

Its just not something I make public on this forum.