• Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  882
  • Content Per Day:  0.86
  • Achievement Points:  6,241
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  9
  • Device:  Windows

4 hours ago, L.R.S. said:

Yes you did and I'm sure the battery is original. I can't 'TJ' this car and rip it apart and replace errythang though. It is what it is. I've never owned an EV, never had one on my radar and did zero research on them until Tony offered it up. 

The charger cord that came with it will do 120v/240v via a NEMA6-20 plug (it has a NEMA5-15 adapter for 120v now) so just need to get that socket wired up at the house. A few articles claimed 4 hour charging on 240v power. 

I'll check out the free charging station in the off-site parking structure at work, which is a 10 minute walk from my office each way. Not bad, but it's Boyle Heights in East LA and not a place for a guy like me to be on the streets at 9:30 pm and again at 5:30 am. The things I'll do to live green and save the planet...

Yeah, I'm not saying replaced it... I'm just saying don't expect brand new Volt EV-only range.  It's perfectly fine, and functioning as expected IMHO.  It's a great car for Fallon (and a great commuter for you), no reason to stress on the range and all that every time you drive it (that's the nice thing about a Volt over a pure EV).  

-TJ

• Member ID:  167
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,864
  • Content Per Day:  1.76
  • Achievement Points:  13,991
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  03/08/1960

Google lists the range of a new 2013 Chevy Volt as 38 mi. You're getting a reported 36 mi of range out of this one, so this one is only 2 mi lower than when it was brand new, assuming the display is correct. 

I'm sure you'll be much happier when you get the 240v chargers installed at home and work.

• Like 1

• Site Sponsor

• Member ID:  751
  • Group:  Site Sponsor
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,180
  • Content Per Day:  2.07
  • Achievement Points:  14,205
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  09/10/1978

9 hours ago, L.R.S. said:

I'll check out the free charging station in the off-site parking structure at work, which is a 10 minute walk from my office each way. Not bad, but it's Boyle Heights in East LA and not a place for a guy like me to be on the streets at 9:30 pm and again at 5:30 am. The things I'll do to live green and save the planet...

What?!  Wikipedia makes it sound like a great place to visit.

Boyle Heights, historically known as Paredón Blanco,is a notable and historic Chicano/Mexican-American neighborhood in Los Angeles, California, located east of the Los Angeles River. Boyle Heights is known as a bastion of Chicano culture, hosting cultural landmarks like Mariachi Plaza and events like the annual Día de los Muertos celebrations.

• Haha 1

• Member ID:  109
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,482
  • Content Per Day:  1.40
  • Achievement Points:  10,809
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/31/1972

3 hours ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

What?!  Wikipedia makes it sound like a great place to visit.

Boyle Heights, historically known as Paredón Blanco,is a notable and historic Chicano/Mexican-American neighborhood in Los Angeles, California, located east of the Los Angeles River. Boyle Heights is known as a bastion of Chicano culture, hosting cultural landmarks like Mariachi Plaza and events like the annual Día de los Muertos celebrations.

All of that is accurate. But they left out people sh!tting on the sidewalk, trash cans constantly flipped over by food treasure hunters, garbage everywhere...

• Haha 1

• Member ID:  201
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  646
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Achievement Points:  5,649
  • Days Won:  3

On 9/14/2021 at 11:10 PM, L.R.S. said:

Need to do some research on a 'better' charging cord of there is such a thing. Regardless I need a spare cord to leave at home and one to keep in the car. 

At 5:45 am the Volt was at full charge. I unplugged and headed home.

20210914_055728.thumb.jpg.adf96e3fc71fb40fce1d611230686a23.jpg

My drive is 15 miles and mostly uphill, doing around 70mph. 

20210914_061552.thumb.jpg.5cb9f8a8f3b82e7e05a6443b832211a0.jpg

This is what I had when I got home.

Not complaining about the car whatsoever. I really like it, just want to maximize the benefits of owning it. 

So it is all about how you charge the car 2amp or 10 amp switch on the leaf button. generally I can charge it at home at 4pm and be fully charged by 5am and I drive 27 miles every day to work. I would plug it in at work (630am) and it would be fully charged by 3pm. it is also how you drive. 80- mph will drain your battery faster vs 65 to 67 mph and up hills will make a difference as it is more power required to pull. quick charge is the way to go. 

• Member ID:  109
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,482
  • Content Per Day:  1.40
  • Achievement Points:  10,809
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/31/1972

15 hours ago, URCLEVER said:

So it is all about how you charge the car 2amp or 10 amp switch on the leaf button. generally I can charge it at home at 4pm and be fully charged by 5am and I drive 27 miles every day to work. I would plug it in at work (630am) and it would be fully charged by 3pm. it is also how you drive. 80- mph will drain your battery faster vs 65 to 67 mph and up hills will make a difference as it is more power required to pull. quick charge is the way to go. 

I'm learning all that stuff and more each time I drive it and charge it.  I thought I set it for the higher 12amp charge but it defaults to the 8amp every time I plug it in.  Tonight was another new one- Left my house at 9pm and it said 34 miles available.  While driving, mostly downhill, at 75-80mph the miles climbed to 38.  I hit a drive-thru and got to work and it was down to 34 miles available.  So my drive to work basically cost me nothing, and now it's charging outside my office.  

My daughter absolutely loves the car man!  She took her laptop out there and sat in it for an hour going over stuff on the internet so she can learn more about it.  She wanted to get a few things for it- phone mount, trash can, etc. and I told her to go on Amazon and get whatever she wanted for the car to make it 'hers'.  I really appreciate the deal, taking it to the dealer for an inspection and how upfront you were about the little things it needs.  We'll catch up this weekend at the show.

• Like 2

• Board Moderator

• Member ID:  6
  • Group:  Board Moderator
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,065
  • Content Per Day:  3.82
  • Achievement Points:  45,519
  • Days Won:  20
  • Birthday:  02/26/1972
  • Device:  Android

Boyle Heights is a great place to eat :crusty:food, visit family in the cemetery, hire Mariachis, etc.

:dunno:

My old neighborhood....I would not live there though...It's not THAT bad @L.R.S. your a big enough guy to not be messed with.

:focus:  :lol:

• Like 1

• Member ID:  154
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,026
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Achievement Points:  11,128
  • Days Won:  0

5 minutes ago, Crusty said:

Boyle Heights is a great place to eat :crusty:food, visit family in the cemetery, hire Mariachis, etc.

:dunno:

My old neighborhood....I would not live there though...It's not THAT bad @L.R.S. your a big enough guy to not be messed with.

:focus:  :lol:

Home of the OG El Tepeyac Cafe.  Highly recommended . . .

• Like 1