Speed UTV

1 minute ago, BUFF said:

I am sure both are awesome in the desert with stock HP.

Yeah in the dunes is another story!

The Pro R has 75 LESS HP and around 200 MORE POUNDS compared to a Speed-Keyed Speed UTV.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, michael.gonzalez said:

Yeah in the dunes is another story!

The Pro R has 75 LESS HP and around 200 MORE POUNDS compared to a Speed-Keyed Speed UTV.

We dont know the final weight of Speed yet. But that key is a cool option for duners. 

7 hours ago, michael.gonzalez said:

I think Speed expects to stay under 2300lbs for the 4 -seater.

The ProR (2-seater) just weighed in at 2300lbs. Not sure what the 4-seater ProR weighs.

My "love"/speed key was only $1.00 and unlocks 300hp so I'm not complaining!!

EDIT: Polaris ProR 4 has a DRY WEIGHT OF 2480 LBS!! (ONLY 900LB left for payload)

SXS Blog guys weighed the pro r 4 seater in at 2600#. These cars definitely got some fat. But fat is beautiful. 😁 Good thing Speed left some power in reserve on these little engines for the tuners to unlock. I think it will be plenty stock though…..for now. :sraptor:

16 hours ago, CampfiresNbrews said:

SXS Blog guys weighed the pro r 4 seater in at 2600#. These cars definitely got some fat. But fat is beautiful. 😁 Good thing Speed left some power in reserve on these little engines for the tuners to unlock. I think it will be plenty stock though…..for now. :sraptor:

Does that kind of power to weight ratio affect performance in the dunes?

16 hours ago, CampfiresNbrews said:

Yep, the Pro R 4 seat weighed 2609 to be exact. They said it was bone stock with less then a 1/2 tank of gas.

As they said, she’s a big girl! 

EC0FDA4F-B1D8-4D2D-8151-3485BC00340E.thumb.png.f75c6d22f2e1cc846dba73eb69801f7b.png

56 minutes ago, michael.gonzalez said:

2600#?!

That is insane.

If you have seen a Pro R up close you can see why it weighs that much.  They did not skimp on tubing size.  Plus bigger hardware and suspension components and drivetrain.  It adds up quickly.   Surprisingly they it scoots around just fine in the dunes.  I have seen a few going around Glamis.  

The Speed UTV will be just fine in the dunes power wise.   

Momentum is your friend in the dunes and if you know how to use it you can keep a good pace no matter the weight.  We use to dune Rhinos with 4 people in them way back in the day.  Sure we were not climbing the big dunes, but we got around the dunes just fine.  

Suspension set up will be key to being able to keep that momentum going.  

• Like 1

• Forum Moderator
57 minutes ago, Sand Shark said:

If you have seen a Pro R up close you can see why it weighs that much.  They did not skimp on tubing size.  Plus bigger hardware and suspension components and drivetrain.  It adds up quickly.   Surprisingly they it scoots around just fine in the dunes.  I have seen a few going around Glamis.  

The Speed UTV will be just fine in the dunes power wise.   

Momentum is your friend in the dunes and if you know how to use it you can keep a good pace no matter the weight.  We use to dune Rhinos with 4 people in them way back in the day.  Sure we were not climbing the big dunes, but we got around the dunes just fine.  

Suspension set up will be key to being able to keep that momentum going.  

My buggy has a 6 cylinder subi, a super heavy S5 tranny, 3" shocks, all chromo steel 1.5" and only weighs 2200# 122' wheel base  i guess they didnt skimp, infact i think the tubes must be filled with lead

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2600lb before passengers, for the most part loaded you are nearing 3200lb with passengers and all the Accessories people add to their golf carts...........that is heavy

• Like 1

• Site Sponsor

I don't understand how these things get so heavy, I guess all the little stuff adds up. 

46 minutes ago, John@Outfront said:

My buggy has a 6 cylinder subi, a super heavy S5 tranny, 3" shocks, all chromo steel 1.5" and only weighs 2200# 122' wheel base  i guess they didnt skimp, infact i think the tubes must be filled with lead

Now add 300+ lbs in plastics for the body, working doors, headlights, tail lights, and inner floorboards. Then add a driveshaft system, front dif, 2 front axles. In your case if you did that you would be over 3000 lbs. 

31 minutes ago, parker@gearone said:

I don't understand how these things get so heavy, I guess all the little stuff adds up. 

It adds up quick when you add all the things I listed above that’s beyond what a typical buggy would have. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cookie said:

2600lb before passengers, for the most part loaded you are nearing 3200lb with passengers and all the Accessories people add to their golf carts...........that is heavy

The current crop of 4 seaters rolling around the dunes fully loaded are probably in the 2500lbs range.  

2 hours ago, John@Outfront said:

Your missing 2 back seats, a ton of plastic parts, plastic body and a front drive train.  

I am sure if I threw my X3 on the scales in dune trim it is close to 1850lbs.  

• Board Moderator

Heavy is OK, as Long as its a plush ride :wink:

Amazon.com: Thick Girl Sexy BBW Silhouette 6" Vinyl Sticker Car Decal (6"  Black) : Automotive

• Haha 2

• Forum Moderator
2 hours ago, Sand Shark said:

Your missing 2 back seats, a ton of plastic parts, plastic body and a front drive train.  

I am sure if I threw my X3 on the scales in dune trim it is close to 1850lbs.  

Well lets see, i have a full aluminum body, the roof is .125" thick., my floor is steel expanded metal, my tranny has to weigh more than a 300hp mini tranny and a front diff (and my trannys can support 6-800 hp.) rear trailing arms with 12" brakes, 4 934 cvs and my axles weigh more than any mini driveshafts.  I might be missing two rear seats but my car is still a four seater. the rear doors are not there but i have steel tubing there in its place. in the place (of the back two seats) i have a radiator full of water that is 31" wide by 19" tall and (hardly the size of the sxs radiator).  with all that water weight and two large 16 paddle blades, my intercooler is twice the size and weight with two large 12" paddle blades. lastly my 6 cylinder engine clearly is easily twice the weight of a two cylinder engine.  Its still baffling the weight but i get it....................

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, John@Outfront said:

Well lets see, i have a full aluminum body, the roof is .125" thick., my floor is steel expanded metal, my tranny has to weigh more than a 300hp mini tranny and a front diff (and my trannys can support 6-800 hp.) rear trailing arms with 12" brakes, 4 934 cvs and my axles weigh more than any mini driveshafts.  I might be missing two rear seats but my car is still a four seater. the rear doors are not there but i have steel tubing there in its place. in the place (of the back two seats) i have a radiator full of water that is 31" wide by 19" tall and (hardly the size of the sxs radiator).  with all that water weight and two large 16 paddle blades, my intercooler is twice the size and weight with two large 12" paddle blades. lastly my 6 cylinder engine clearly is easily twice the weight of a two cylinder engine.  Its still baffling the weight but i get it....................

I still can’t see it myself

On 5/4/2022 at 11:00 AM, FOG said:

Man!

I thought you were cool until you posted this. 
Every red-blooded American male needs to own a Harley at least once in their lifetime. 

Funny!! I was at Street Vibrations in Reno a few years ago, talking with the vets working one of the booths, and this guy goes: You know what a helicopter pilot and a Harley rider have in common?

Of course the typical answer was “if it’s leaking oil, it’s good to fly!”

He smiled, “True; but what I’m referring to is the back pains and issues you get out of riding those damn unbalanced machines”

He has a point  🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We are almost halfway into Q-2 2022! I was hoping production would have started late Q-1 early Q-2, then start delivering to customers in July. This is now far fetched.This is going to be a tough go for the SPEED team. Economic conditions are not going to be favorable come Q-4/-Q/1 2023. With interest rates where they are headed will have people pulling back.

Time will tell........

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Big_Daddy_Jp said:

I still can’t see it myself

The part John didn't emphasize is his chassis and suspension is all chromo. Since it's stronger than whatever Polaris uses, in order for Polaris to beef up their chassis and suspension and lack of proper triangulation, they used thicker fence posts, added more non structural tubing, and added all kinds of weight, like the solid steel bars on the rear arms just to band aid a horrible suspension design with too much toe change. If they did a better job at engineering it, they wouldn't have had to add more weight to the unsprung portion of their suspension, which according to physics, automatically results in a worse ride from the rear suspension. This in turn leads to another band aid - electronic shocks. More weight. Eventually all of the bad choices and band aids add a huge amount of weight.

I would have mentioned the pool noodles attached with zipties, but those don't weigh much, they just make me laugh harder.

:lol:

Edited by Lord of the Dunes
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, BUFF said:

We are almost halfway into Q-2 2022! I was hoping production would have started late Q-1 early Q-2, then start delivering to customers in July. This is now far fetched.This is going to be a tough go for the SPEED team. Economic conditions are not going to be favorable come Q-4/-Q/1 2023. With interest rates where they are headed will have people pulling back.

Time will tell........

Thank you for your fake concern. We'll see how Polaris and CanAm escape these same economic conditions and possible sales slump. They're all in the same economy.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Lord of the Dunes said:

Thank you for your fake concern. We'll see how Polaris and CanAm escape these same economic conditions and possible sales slump. They're all in the same economy.

Your very welcome!

LOTD you may be just wasting brain space if this start up doesn't pan out. Let a business prove itself prior to the chest pounding buddy! 

BRP & Polaris are well diversified and have the funds to survive a slow down.  I like there chances! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BUFF said:

Your very welcome!

LOTD you may be just wasting brain space if this start up doesn't pan out. Let a business prove itself prior to the chest pounding buddy! 

BRP & Polaris are well diversified and have the funds to survive a slow down.  I like there chances! 

I'm going to ignore all of your spelling errors and concentrate on your unfounded faith in Polaris and BRP.

While they do make a variety of products, most of them are in the "nice to have" categories, rather than the "essential for life" categories. We don't need UTVs, ATVs, PWCs or small aircraft, or even small commercial aircraft. As the economy slows down, so do sales of those items, especially commercial aircraft.

Now if they produced food or bombs, they might be in a recession proof sector of the economy. They might have more money in the coffers, but then look at GE or IBM now, compared to what they once were. Even the giants of their sectors go the way of dinosaurs, because they move like dinosaurs.

34 minutes ago, Lord of the Dunes said:

Just Curious - people that are on the wait list for the Speed and are doing financing are they locked in?  It looks like rates are gonna double over the next 6 months  as the Fed will have to get mortgage rates in the "teens" if they want to curb inflation and keep us out of recession... Those rates might shake out a number of buyers (also true for Canned hams and Pole-larry's)

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BUFF said:

With interest rates where they are headed will have people pulling back.

Time will tell.......

I was thinking the same thing and mentioned it to one of the sales representatives Mike when I saw the car over at Bert’s.  He just glossed over it. But yeah, I think once people who don’t got the funds see what their payments are going to be are in for a rude awakening and will start to back out. Hope not and hope it doesn’t affect Speed to much. I too was going to finance the car for a couple years but may just pay it off after a few months. 

Edited by CampfiresNbrews
  • Like 2