Speed UTV

Posted (edited)
On 5/13/2022 at 7:33 PM, Rockwood said:

Good dune setup is not a good desert setup, and vice versa. You can get a spring set to work for both, but there’s still tweaking between the two…. Unless your idea of “duning” is marching down Sand Highway, turn south to Olds, hit it a couple of times, park, crack a beer or twelve, then head back to camp on the same route. 

Point being: Speed UTV will probably still benefit from some tuning to work optimally in the dunes. 

Or….

Its a magic carpet ride that will be able to drive anywhere without spilling your latte, including right onto the water of the bay over 4th of July weekend, then drive granny to COTA, throw an F1 downforce package on it and dominate, no porpoising.  :biggrin:

Correct some tweaking on the clickers is needed between desert and dunes. Usually for me that is just just a few turns on the compression settings.  

Speed UTV shocks are filled with unicorn piss and the valve stacks are from a unicorn horn.  No adjustments needed.  🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Sand Shark
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Fullthrottleguy said:

Been a couple weeks since I checked in ... Did anyone get their SPEED UTV's yet. Tesla delivered a record number of cars in March and April , I figure RG and the gang could squeeze a few cars out.  I want to hear first reports- I am excited

Please check back on unicorn day February 30th.  🤣🤣🤣🤣

6 hours ago, JBL said:

Damn you nailed my Glamis riding perfectly!  So Speed is my best car lol.  I also liketo set up my canopy and grill, firewood.  Didnt know there was more behind olds. 

Who knew?  Lol!  

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Sand Shark said:

That weighed a lot more than I thought.  Add the missing pieces and it is over 2200. 

My guess as it sat without the body panels was 1835, but I was cheating, so I thought by going off what Todd said the 4 seater was. 

The XX is 1800 lbs, so that was another reason I figured 1800 without the body panels. I thought Mario G said his race XX with all the Speed suspension was around 2200. 

I think Robby was also a bit surprised as I bet that was the first time he was seeing the 2 seat on the scales. But it’s cool it was strait up and not trying to hide it. 

I’ll make the first joke that my El Jefe is going to be the El Heavy. 

Edited by NIKAL
  • Haha 2

The Bandit looks bad ass IMO.  I too was shocked with weight based on hearsay the ElJefe was.  Agree as well when RG said he had nothing to hide and immediately got it on the scales.  Hope next show he has a production ElJefe around to throw on the scales also.  

• Like 1

That was a nice surprise! He hadn't given any hints that they were building a Bandit other than the pic advertising this show.

Wow! 2176 lbs without the body, doors or skid plate. I'm guessing the missing parts weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 lbs? The UHMW skid plate is a lot heavier than other materials. So I'm guessing total weight is about 2325 lbs for the Bandit.

So I'm guessing the El Diablo is probably 50-60 lbs more? It's got 15" longer driveshaft and a slightly longer bed and 15" more frame tubing behind the seats, so that would be my guess. Roughly 2385 lbs.

So what do you guess the El Jefe weighs? It has 10" more wheelbase than the Diablo, 2 more seats, 2 more doors, longer driveshaft, roof, floor, skid plate but a slightly shorter bed. I'm guessing 125 lbs more than the El Diablo. That would put it right about 2510 lbs. Roughly 100 lbs less than the Pro R 4 seater.

Posted (edited)

Couple other take aways from the show. Robby talked about some issues in the engine manufacturing and the sand casting blocks. About 20 engines were scrapped after issues were found. In trying to speed up the manufacturing processes the sand was dissolving before the block casting was at full density and pressure. So now they have added a new procedure to pressure check all the blocks & heads and an ex-ray machine is being added  to check quality & density. 

Another thing Robby mentioned was the new oil tank is about 6 quarts now. That’s allot of oil for a UTV. 

Lastly and I’ve seen it on the chassis before, but it’s worth mentioning again because no other manufacture is doing it. But I like how they put the outer plate on the tubes where they connect where the trailing arms bolts up. This again is how a proper race chassis would be built. It’s hard to see on this freeze frame as the shiny black paint makes it less noticeable and once the body is on you won’t see this detail. 

C09835B4-7C10-474E-8AD2-7ECFF46F7979.thumb.jpeg.d58f84deca002de37fe6b9aa8163ce30.jpeg

Edited by NIKAL
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, NIKAL said:

My guess as it sat without the body panels was 1835, but I was cheating, so I thought by going off what Todd said the 4 seater was. 

The XX is 1800 lbs, so that was another reason I figured 1800 without the body panels. I thought Mario G said his race XX with all the Speed suspension was around 2200. 

I think Robby was also a bit surprised as I bet that was the first time he was seeing the 2 seat on the scales. But it’s cool it was strait up and not trying to hide it. 

I’ll make the first joke that my El Jefe is going to be the El Heavy. 

The Bandit did look good.   Going to be a fun car to drive.  

3 hours ago, Lord of the Dunes said:

That was a nice surprise! He hadn't given any hints that they were building a Bandit other than the pic advertising this show.

Wow! 2176 lbs without the body, doors or skid plate. I'm guessing the missing parts weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 lbs? The UHMW skid plate is a lot heavier than other materials. So I'm guessing total weight is about 2325 lbs for the Bandit.

So I'm guessing the El Diablo is probably 50-60 lbs more? It's got 15" longer driveshaft and a slightly longer bed and 15" more frame tubing behind the seats, so that would be my guess. Roughly 2385 lbs.

So what do you guess the El Jefe weighs? It has 10" more wheelbase than the Diablo, 2 more seats, 2 more doors, longer driveshaft, roof, floor, skid plate but a slightly shorter bed. I'm guessing 125 lbs more than the El Diablo. That would put it right about 2510 lbs. Roughly 100 lbs less than the Pro R 4 seater.

I bet the El Diablo will be over 2400lbs with a full tank of gas and all the fluids.

El Jeffe will come in about the same as the 4 seat Pro R.  

8 hours ago, Sand Shark said:

I bet the El Diablo will be over 2400lbs with a full tank of gas and all the fluids.

El Jeffe will come in about the same as the 4 seat Pro R.  

So your estimate is the El Diabo will be over 2400...  it could be. How much over? 2425? 2450?

You might also be right about the El Jefe being 2600. They're all getting so close in weight that how much fuel is in the tank might be the deciding factor in weight as well as value!

:lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lord of the Dunes said:

So your estimate is the El Diabo will be over 2400...  it could be. How much over? 2425? 2450?

You might also be right about the El Jefe being 2600. They're all getting so close in weight that how much fuel is in the tank might be the deciding factor in weight as well as value!

:lol:

So, couple of months ago, Can Ams and RZRs were fat pigs and this made the Speed UTV mo bettah. How we gonna spin this? :biggrin:

• Haha 2

Anybody that thought they were gonna be able to cram Robby's legacy in that thing and not be over 2300lbs was delusional. Just his dez cred alone is worth 3 or 4 hundred pounds....

Seriously who cares.. they all way the same, this one is built better and still weighs the same....

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Realbadlarry said:

Anybody that thought they were gonna be able to cram Robby's legacy in that thing and not be over 2300lbs was delusional. Just his dez cred alone is worth 3 or 4 hundred pounds....

Seriously who cares.. they all way the same, this one is built better and still weighs the same....

i’m not trying to spin it but I went back and watched this this morning although it’s already a couple years old on some of these older models the weight isn’t drastically far off for some of these cars that they’re weighing they don’t all have the aftermarket fixes that would even make them somewhat compatible with the strength of the speed frame, suspension and front diff module

I think it’s right in there and with the extra horsepower I don’t know it should be a wash for the average guys use 

I know on the car I already have I have had to put extra gussets, tubes, bolt retainers, re work my arms and pivot points overtime to fix weaknesses that I’d rather have done correct from the beginning then have to deal with all that chit again 

And seriously looking forward to having four-wheel-drive and a transmission with a reverse unlike the 091 I have which can break at any moment even when you’re backing it off the trailer.

I guess for myself at least I’m still looking forward to it and yeah lighter would be better but it’s a give-and-take situation unless you’ve got government money and are using carbon fiber and titanium

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

So, couple of months ago, Can Ams and RZRs were fat pigs and this made the Speed UTV mo bettah. How we gonna spin this? :biggrin:

I don't spin things. I admit they're a little heavier than expected, but the extra weight is in the chassis and suspension, where it counts. I didn't call Canam and regular Rzrs fat pigs, they're too fast for their weak suspensions and break easily. The Pro R is overweight, due to a series of bad decisions, not from extra chassis triangulation.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lord of the Dunes said:

I don't spin things. I admit they're a little heavier than expected, but the extra weight is in the chassis and suspension, where it counts. I didn't call Canam and regular Rzrs fat pigs, they're too fast for their weak suspensions and break easily. The Pro R is overweight, due to a series of bad decisions, not from extra chassis triangulation.

I agree I’d rather have the Strength and  get more bang for my buck

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rockwood said:

That hp to weight argument is out the window, just not the doughnuts and twinkies.  This pigs have to eat🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lord of the Dunes said:

So Polaris beefs up the Pro R frame and suspension and that is bad. Speed is good because they make a beefy frame and suspension.  Makes sense 🤣🤣🤣.

2 hours ago, Sand Shark said:

That hp to weight argument is out the window, just not the doughnuts and twinkies.  This pigs have to eat🤣🤣🤣🤣

Show me the factory X3 or Rzr with 300 hp.

:lmao:

I’m thinking the Pro R weight is MOSTLY in the engine and trans rather than in the suspension and frame. Sure it’s bigger but what’s the wall thicknesses?

Also, I think the torque on the Speed cars will make a difference. And if people still aren’t happy guess they could always throw in that 1265 engine. Believe that is 300hp on pump gas and well  over that on ethanol.  

Anyways things are looking pretty good for Speed customers and it’ll be nice to see Polaris duke it out with Speed and the competition, sooner rather than later. 

2 hours ago, Sand Shark said:

So Polaris beefs up the Pro R frame and suspension and that is bad. Speed is good because they make a beefy frame and suspension.  Makes sense 🤣🤣🤣.

I would try to explain it to you, but I damn near ran out of patience when I spent 3 weeks explaining double shear to you. Over and over and over, picture after picture after picture.

I'm just going to leave you to wallow in your ignorance. Someone else can tackle this one.

:biggrin:

Yup. Looks strong enough to some people.

26 minutes ago, Lord of the Dunes said:

I would try to explain it to you, but I damn near ran out of patience when I spent 3 weeks explaining double shear to you. Over and over and over, picture after picture after picture.

I'm just going to leave you to wallow in your ignorance. Someone else can tackle this one.

Yup. Looks strong enough to 

Is that picture yore screen saver? 

Show me the factory X3 or Rzr with 300 hp.

:lmao:

Show me the factory UTV with 300hp and a warranty. :biggrin:

Also, curious on how what the power band will look like on these. Probably gonna be some decent revs and clutching to get  there. 300hp on 1L means a large turbo for the displacement. Anyone seen dyno charts?

Yup. Looks strong enough to some people.

Uh, that was a literal car crash… Wouldn’t exactly call that normal use. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Also, curious on how what the power band will look like on these. Probably gonna be some decent revs and clutching to get  there. 300hp on 1L means a large turbo for the displacement. Anyone seen dyno charts?

Uh, that was a literal car crash… Wouldn’t exactly call that normal use. 

Go back a few pages, someone posted the actual dyno chart. It was probably TL/DR, that's why you missed the single pic. The torque band was surprisingly high and flat.

Yes, that was a wreck. Even a Rhino is strong enough if you don't wreck it. That's when you find out just how strong something really is, when it gets wrecked. Take that much mass, accelerate it to XX velocity and see how it holds up. As I've been saying, these things are getting too fast with not enough strength to handle a G-out, or witches eye or a collision. The Pro R has plenty of mass, plenty of power...

just not quite enough strength.

21 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Speed is offering a warranty for use of the Speed key. 

I think its an extra $1500.

Technically a factory warranty for a factory tune. 

• Like 4