Speed UTV

1 hour ago, NIKAL said:

The last three weeks the sea shipments the company I work for has taken us 5 weeks from the TW or HK port to San Diego door. Earlier this year we got up to 10 weeks, with the majority taking 8 weeks. 

Prior to the Long Beach Port back up mess, our Ocean transit was around 18 days, with another 8-10 days for transport from the port to the Brokerage warehouse and then to SD. So roughly 4 weeks. If the container was not in a closed area at the port, we could shave a few days off of that. I always calculated everything at 4 weeks. So being at 5 the past 3 weeks is a very good sign.  

I think the next big hurdle is not going to be the ports backlog, but the truckers not being able to go to the ports, or broker warehouses. Fuel is killing them, SB5 law is waiting for the Supreme Court ruling in October. If not overturned it will end the independent truckers in California. The next CARB mandates for entering the ports & rail yards starts in 2023? This will eliminate more truckers and independents. IMO these self inflicted mandates are going to cause more problems vs when we were short chassis to load containers on, or the container shortage. 

Wait until 2030 & 2035 when only electric trucks will be able to access the ports & rail yards. I got a great story about the electric truck the Port of San Diego is using. Total fraud! 

the AB5 is now in effect the supreme court has denied hearing the case that happened last week .

and since it it was not taken up by the court the law is retro active to 2020

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

the AB5 is now in effect the supreme court has denied hearing the case that happened last week .

and since it it was not taken up by the court the law is retro active to 2020

Really! I did not know that. I thought because it was not decided last week before break, it was pushed out to Oct? I’ll need to call C-Air on Tuesday. 

A couple of weeks ago one of the independent drivers that picks up from the Customs warehouses told us it was his last time delivery to us. He’s independent, and hired by our broker. He said with fuel prices, tire prices, and the long waits to get freight picked, he said it’s not worth it. He was going to park his truck for awhile and go work for a company doing local LA deliveries. He said he will also get benefit. He said if it ever goes back to normal he will start up again.  

On 7/1/2022 at 2:51 PM, NIKAL said:

New Speed UTV accessory package. 

380925BD-AD02-4BD6-93D3-DB44850BE2FE.thumb.jpeg.2c8d110053af20cf1487e7708d6cc3e6.jpeg

Cool accessory, but a bit pricier then I would have guessed. I would have thought this would have been around $800? 

Am I wrong and do you think $1300 is fairly priced for front & rear cameras, belt temp and tire pressure monitors? 

That is a lot of money.  Back up camera is cool.   Belt temp gauge is useless in my opinion.  

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Sand Shark said:

That is a lot of money.  Back up camera is cool.   Belt temp gauge is useless in my opinion.  

Why are they worthless I am curious to hear opinions because I have never owned a belt driven car.  I figured having the temperature will give you some sort of an indication of how hard you’re pushing it and maybe if you’re lucky change it before it breaks and can do some damage. I am kind a looking forward to seeing what it’s like to drive a belt driven car it definitely will be easier on my budget to replace a belt once a year rather than to pull my vw 091 out every 3 to 4 years and if I’m lucky only have it overhauled 2 k versus pull it out sooner with something major wrong and 4 to 5 k.

Also looking forward to having something with a real reverse compared to the volts wagon.

forgot to add I was thinking just go aftermarket on the temp gauge I’m not worried about it being integrated into the dash.

Edited by jginsandiego
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Sand Shark said:

Ok. I’ll take the Shark bait. 
Why is the belt temp gauge useless?

• Like 1

I can see the benefit of having the belt temp if running the dunes where your putting long hard loads in the belt. Or if your doing long continuous runs like on a Baja trip or something like that. Another benefit would be in a race situation, and all the racers I’ve know have run belt temp gauges. This allows them to push harder or back off to help protect the belt or request a belt change at a pit if they knew they got it too hot. 

For the average weekend rider doing things like Ocotillo, Plaster/Superstition, Barstow etc.. I don’t think it’s as needed at Shark said. But I also know there are drivers who can’t figure out how this belt thing works, and constantly complain about having belt failure issues. Then other people doing the exact same riding have zero issues. So it can definitely be driver error as to why belts don’t last. 

Personally I’ve never had a belt temp gauge and I’ve also never lost a belt. I’ve measured my belts after doing a 500-600 mile Baja trips and the wear was minimal and consistent. I’m also a big believer of just changing out belts as good maintenance and precaution. It’s cheap insurance for me. I’ll start each season on a new belt. If I have two desert trips and plan a Baja trip, it gets a fresh belt. A good used belt is like gold. Sure I have had lots of great spare belts, and I’ve also given some away. I always carry a spare, and if doing trip will carry two. 

I’m torn on if I want to get this new bundle. I’d really like a rear camera and the belt temp as this will be a new car and I’d like to know & learn how the belt & cooling perform. I could care less about a front camera as I think those are more gimmicky then useful. I also have little interest in the TPMS and can see it being an issue later on. So for me this new package seems like a lot of money. But the reality is I can’t just buy just the rear camera, even when available outside of the bundle. And eventually when you can buy each piece independently it’s still going to be $1000 for the two items and getting the dash turned on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NIKAL said:

I can see the benefit of having the belt temp if running the dunes where your putting long hard loads in the belt. Or if your doing long continuous runs like on a Baja trip or something like that. Another benefit would be in a race situation, and all the racers I’ve know have run belt temp gauges. This allows them to push harder or back off to help protect the belt or request a belt change at a pit if they knew they got it too hot. 

For the average weekend rider doing things like Ocotillo, Plaster/Superstition, Barstow etc.. I don’t think it’s as needed at Shark said. But I also know there are drivers who can’t figure out how this belt thing works, and constantly complain about having belt failure issues. Then other people doing the exact same riding have zero issues. So it can definitely be driver error as to why belts don’t last. 

Personally I’ve never had a belt temp gauge and I’ve also never lost a belt. I’ve measured my belts after doing a 500-600 mile Baja trips and the wear was minimal and consistent. I’m also a big believer of just changing out belts as good maintenance and precaution. It’s cheap insurance for me. I’ll start each season on a new belt. If I have two desert trips and plan a Baja trip, it gets a fresh belt. A good used belt is like gold. Sure I have had lots of great spare belts, and I’ve also given some away. I always carry a spare, and if doing trip will carry two. 

I’m torn on if I want to get this new bundle. I’d really like a rear camera and the belt temp as this will be a new car and I’d like to know & learn how the belt & cooling perform. I could care less about a front camera as I think those are more gimmicky then useful. I also have little interest in the TPMS and can see it being an issue later on. So for me this new package seems like a lot of money. But the reality is I can’t just buy just the rear camera, even when available outside of the bundle. And eventually when you can buy each piece independently it’s still going to be $1000 for the two items and getting the dash turned on. 

So it’s a good idea I take it to break in a belt then take it off and keep it as a spare so that if you have to use it in an emergency or maintenance it’s already broken in is that correct?

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, jginsandiego said:

So it’s a good idea I take it to break in a belt then take it off and keep it as a spare so that if you have to use it in an emergency or maintenance it’s already broken in is that correct?

That, or replace a perfectly good belt at a set interval in your garage rather than before it fails. Already broken in, and you can break in the new one in camp or at home. 

@NIKAL Front camera is useful when rock crawling, cuts down on the need for a spotter. I always try to memorize the rocks ahead of time, but something happens and you forget. 

• Like 1

My Lowrance has a camera feature.  I mounted the camera in the back lip of the roof.  However with the camera on, you lose the GPS.  Not a problem if you not leading. (But I usually do)

I'm planning on having  GPS in my El Diablo

R

11 hours ago, FOG said:

Ok. I’ll take the Shark bait. 
Why is the belt temp gauge useless?

Because it will be just another gauge you will stare at and it will not stop a person from breaking a belt.  You will end up driving to satisfy some imaginary number versus just driving your SXS and having a good time. It is an overpriced gadget.   By the time most see the belt temp gauge flashing at them they have already heated up the belt and it will go boom.  

I personally do not run one and have no intention of every using one.  In well over 15,000 miles in the dunes and desert the times I have blown a belt (which I think is 4 times) I knew the belts were going to go boom well before some temp sensor.   

A properly aligned and tuned clutch is the key to belt life.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jginsandiego said:

Why are they worthless I am curious to hear opinions because I have never owned a belt driven car.  I figured having the temperature will give you some sort of an indication of how hard you’re pushing it and maybe if you’re lucky change it before it breaks and can do some damage. I am kind a looking forward to seeing what it’s like to drive a belt driven car it definitely will be easier on my budget to replace a belt once a year rather than to pull my vw 091 out every 3 to 4 years and if I’m lucky only have it overhauled 2 k versus pull it out sooner with something major wrong and 4 to 5 k.

Also looking forward to having something with a real reverse compared to the volts wagon.

forgot to add I was thinking just go aftermarket on the temp gauge I’m not worried about it being integrated into the dash.

The belt temp gauge is not going to prevent a belt from going boom.  Learning how to drive a CVT SXS and having a properly tuned and aligned clutch are the keys to belt life.   I had a friend that could make a belt go boom in less than 20 minutes by driving like a complete a-hole in the dunes.  If he drove normal his belts were fine.

You are correct it would be cheaper to get an aftermarket belt temp gauge and just have it displayed separately. 

If Speed truly wanted to include a belt temp gauge they could of done it and not bundle it with the package they are offering.  They could of done a separate gauge.  

• Like 1

When do people plan on getting one, my neighbor says in 5 weeks 

6 hours ago, J Alper said:

When do people plan on getting one, my neighbor says in 5 weeks 

Per Todd Romano they hope to be calling people in the next several weeks to start arranging payment and delivery location. This call will be about 30 days prior to delivery. Todd said they hope to be delivering some cars before Sand Sports, but that Sand Sports is a hard date for them to be delivering and they are hoping to be delivering around 150 at the show, with cars following days & weeks after. Todd said they hope & expect to have all pre orders including some early dealer orders delivered by the end of the year, this even includes the smaller Bandit orders. 

I also am up in the air on the "bundle". I am curious what @DTA heard that he likes. I am guessing blinkers. I really don't need the cameras and air sensors. The belt temp would be cool but I don't know if it is needed. 

All of the items would be nice to have and I would probably pay attention to them the first few times out....then never use them again. 

If blinkers are the secret selling point, I am sure the aftermarket will offer something. But that will probably cost $1000 in the end. 

22 hours ago, NIKAL said:

In racing application I can see the belt temp gauge being handy, but even those guys have things pretty dialed and have their planned belt change stops in the longer races.  

Front camera would be cool when crawling up trails where line of sight might be an issue. 

If you run an Ipad you can hook up a camera to it and use it for your GPS app.  

Tire sensors are a novelty for the recreational user.  Could be handy in race application.  

10 hours ago, Punchdrunk Monkey said:

I also am up in the air on the "bundle". I am curious what @DTA heard that he likes. I am guessing blinkers. I really don't need the cameras and air sensors. The belt temp would be cool but I don't know if it is needed. 

All of the items would be nice to have and I would probably pay attention to them the first few times out....then never use them again. 

If blinkers are the secret selling point, I am sure the aftermarket will offer something. But that will probably cost $1000 in the end. 

@DTA this makes 2 of us. I’d like to know what made you decide on it. I take PM’s if you don’t want to post in here😁. I’d call Mike Rebello since he’s my salesman and ask, just not sure if he even knows all the details you got. I’ll give him a call tomorrow anyways. 

9 hours ago, Sand Shark said:

In racing application I can see the belt temp gauge being handy, but even those guys have things pretty dialed and have their planned belt change stops in the longer races.  

Front camera would be cool when crawling up trails where line of sight might be an issue. 

If you run an Ipad you can hook up a camera to it and use it for your GPS app.  

Tire sensors are a novelty for the recreational user.  Could be handy in race application.  

I spend more time checking tire pressure than really anything else on the X3, lol. 

• Like 3

So by the end of the year huh? I almost want to change out my hundred to pennies to pay them for making me wait but the bank probably doesnt carry that much change anymore. Either way I am sure it was worth or is worth the wait!

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, URCLEVER said:

So by the end of the year huh? I almost want to change out my hundred to pennies to pay them for making me wait but the bank probably doesnt carry that much change anymore. Either way I am sure it was worth or is worth the wait!

Maybe they will take crypto and pennies. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Sand Shark said:

Gold, Frankincense, and Myrrh???

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Sand Shark said:

Perhaps dimes since that’s all Mr Roboto is supposed to be laying down?

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

• Board Moderator

Here is one sitting next to a Pro 4

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Crusty said:

Here is one sitting next to a Pro 4

The El Jeffe is a big car. 

• Like 2

• Board Moderator
32 minutes ago, Sand Shark said:

The El Jeffe is a big car.