WaPaWeKkA

Rv Do's And Don't

Alright, I just bougt this thing a few days ago. I've been around camping with my parents since I was a little kid but he's always had Motorhome's, and this is the first toyhauler I've ever owned. What are some Do's and Don'ts? When having it sit over summer (won't use it from March to August) should I leave fuel in the tanks? Should I leave them full or empty? Add any additive? I know about diesel additives, but not gas. While it is stored, there is no way to plug it in. How many days before I leave on a trip should I have it plugged in to charge? How often should I service the generator? The guy I bought it from told me every 50 hours. Any advice I'm willing to take.

Thank you

Andy

I was told by the guy at the battery shop to just disconnect the batteries and let them sit. When it is time to use it again, check the water and put a charger on them about 5 days before using it again. He says if the battery is good it should hold a charge as long as they are disconnected. I would aso run the fuel low and then add some stabil to the tank to make sure.

put stabil in your fuel if its going to sit longer than 1 month

Yes 50 hrs for service

I drain my gen. carb. after every use(weekend) as i've replace one already even with stable in the fuel.

Summer storage- put stable in the fuel but only keep a 1/4 tank or so

Your black and grey tank keep water(1/4 tank) in them so they don't dry out- along with your toilet keep water in it so the seal doesn't dry out.

If your not going to use it all summer take your batteries with you other wise you will need to start it at least once a mo. to keep the batteries up.

I have solar so i need to check the water in the batteries at least once a mo. all yr long.

Edited by jchappy

I would put mouse/rat traps in it over the summer...they can do some serious damage...

You can put 5 gallon buckets of water in the trailer (no lid) to keep the walls from swelling during the height of summer.

I would get a solar charger , batteries can be expensive when you are a day away from hitting the road...

Edited by Markie_Mark

Dont leave it plugged in.

You can get one of those little battery maintainers and they wont damage your batteries.

I was told to always keep a full fuel tank, with additive, to store for long periods of time. This keeps the condinsation down in the tank and it doesn't collect water in the fuel.

Check some of the RV websites, alot of your questions will be answered. Google 'rv fuel tanks' etc.

Tires will only last 3-5 years eventhough there is a lot of tread, due to the lack of rotation spreading the oils around the rubber. They may look good, but they will blow out on you on the road.

Actually, deep cycle batteries prefer to be fully charged. Disconnect, bring them home, and put them on a trickle charger. Just remember to check the water level periodically.

As far as the tanks, Do not leave them empty because condensation can sweat inside the tank. The fuel additive you need is call Sta-bil. You add to your fuel, start the gennie and run it for at least 5 minutes. If I were you I would go install the batteries once a month and run the gennie for 5 mins. And then at least a week before your first trip do it again. That way if you have any problems you have time to fix em.

Here's a good link to more info. The one I found interesting was to spray fogging oil in the combustion chamber to prevent seizure.

http://www.koa.com/familyzone/camping101/a...tenance_513.htm

Also, refers should be run once a month for an hour so they won't gel up on you.

Air cond., stove, heaters also, keeps the spider webs down.

there is a KILLER list around here that someone put together awhile back...

anyone rememeber who did it or where it is???

Yes 50 hrs for service

I drain my gen. carb. after every use(weekend) as i've replace one already even with stable in the fuel.

Summer storage- put stable in the fuel but only keep a 1/4 tank or so

Your black and grey tank keep water(1/4 tank) in them so they don't dry out- along with your toilet keep water in it so the seal doesn't dry out.

If your not going to use it all summer take your batteries with you other wise you will need to start it at least once a mo. to keep the batteries up.

I have solar so i need to check the water in the batteries at least once a mo. all yr long.

This is all good info for you. Batteries will prove to be your biggest challenge/headache... A little effort will go a long way to keep the rig ready to go!

run your genny at least once a month for say 10 or 15 minutes!

I was expecting problems last month after not using my trailer for 6 months......gen started right up fridge started right up, batteries were full of water still after being plugged in the whole time (periodic checking) maybe keeping it in the garage helps out?

You probobly have a smart charger on your converter. Many of the newer trailers are coming out with them and you can leave them plugged. The old style converters put a straight charge like .5 amps and would boil the batteries dry if left plugged in.

You probobly have a smart charger on your converter. Many of the newer trailers are coming out with them and you can leave them plugged. The old style converters put a straight charge like .5 amps and would boil the batteries dry if left plugged in.

no warrior doesnt include them in their trailers you have to add a part to convert it

What about the fresh water tank? Completely full or not?

Thanks,

Andy

What about the fresh water tank? Completely full or not?

Thanks,

Andy

When?

I always fill mine when I get home- just in case of a natural disaster- Im covered. If its too long between trips- I drain and refill. Probably dont have to but I do it anyway.

traveling: to G- always full- I dont want any Brawley water.

From G- I used to drain it, especially if it was windy, but after last trip home in the wind- I think its better to leave full as a lower center of gravity. ( At least it makes me feel better)

yea, its probably a good idea to leave it full in case I need to live in it due to an earthquake or something like that.

Andy

Don't forget to drain the water heater

I keep plywood under the tires during long periods of time to keep the tires from drying out sitting on concrete.

Rent it out for the summer.. :blink:

Put flea collars in the water heater and fridge area to keep the spiders out of the propane jets. The spiders don't like them.