BeachHead

Can Anyone Beat A Funco?

wow what part of it would be interesting could be misconstrued to mean anything more than what i said???

sampler was incorrect and i pointed that out. ( funco did not win the sa shoot out) << dont blame me i had nothing to do with it

i didnt infer that a track was biased i infered that the course sa used would be interesting to run an epo on.<<<<Thats called an opinion

you guys are way to sensative somebody feed the oversensative fish....................................... :chum:

so quit circling your wagons im not going to play cowboys and indians with you guys.......................................... :sha:

You missed my point.. The EPO folks have heard day and night that the track was a funco track since the first race (tack was built before anyone was invited).. Pretty simple solution -

Someone find a track that isnt gonna favor funco. lets do this..

Peronally, I dont give an eff, but the results point to FUNCO. Add all the baby crys of Driver, HP, and track -

I employ ANYONE to build a tack in Glamis. I mean the true ULTIMATE SAND CAR CHALLENGE really should be held in the sand..

If you have the balls to do so - do it. if not, join the rest in the green room watching the monitors..

Dude someone really needs to change your tank water.

This green room you peek of...is this where you hang out at because I don't see you racing these cars. :lol:

:lmao:

I drive our black Funco in Second Wind and finish just ahead of all the DNF's BUT car runs great :funny:

ST drives our car in Run For the Gold. Car goes in limp mode from overheating 3/4 into second lap and finishes 11th.

Chad drives our car in Run For the Gold and car goes into limp mode 1/2 into second lap and finishes 5th. Chad had fastest 1st lap time overall.

Same car different driver.

We had an IROC with a Funco and ya'll missed it..... :lmao:

wow what part of it would be interesting could be misconstrued to mean anything more than what i said???

sampler was incorrect and i pointed that out. ( funco did not win the sa shoot out) << dont blame me i had nothing to do with it

i didnt infer that a track was biased i infered that the course sa used would be interesting to run an epo on.<<<<Thats called an opinion

you guys are way to sensative somebody feed the oversensative fish....................................... :chum:

so quit circling your wagons im not going to play cowboys and indians with you guys.......................................... :sha:

You missed my point.. The EPO folks have heard day and night that the track was a funco track since the first race (tack was built before anyone was invited).. Pretty simple solution -

Someone find a track that isnt gonna favor funco. lets do this..

Peronally, I dont give an eff, but the results point to FUNCO. Add all the baby crys of Driver, HP, and track -

I employ ANYONE to build a tack in Glamis. I mean the true ULTIMATE SAND CAR CHALLENGE really should be held in the sand..

If you have the balls to do so - do it. if not, join the rest in the green room watching the monitors..

i didnt say they should, would ,could or didnt. i said it would be interesting. it wasnt a jab, slander, or a read between the lines. this is like saying i wonder what turkey would taste like on this sandwich and getting your head removed.

i did not miss your point. and im trying to express to you that wasnt my intention.

i have neither the time, motivation, or patience to make a race track. and i dont think i need to or be hit with an ultimatum because i think a course would be interesting to run. and told put up or shut up.

and if theres a problem where everybody is telling you guys to change the course. then i guess you guys have to options.

its your money and everyone can eff off

or you can listen to your fans. and act acordingly

so do one or the other put up or shut up.

and leave people that have a simple opinion alone.

The Fact is NONE of the Funco's showed up at the GNC with FRESH engines or brand New Cars.The Hand full of Funco's "Not All" had been RUN VERY HARD all season LONG which would be hard on ANY car.NOW I know some people on here TRIED to dune with us after an EPO ONCE and the ONLY guy who didn't turn back and ran the ENTIRE run was SandZilla. Clay is a Great driver and has Great equipment and he even said man you guys are FAST!!I know many of the Guys from THE KILLIN IT KREW and they are Fast.These guys have great equipment and are great drivers.So to me I'm proud that I have been able to Dune with Great Funco drivers and Great SCU,and Etc other drivers because that is what FUN is to me.

No doubt it hard to beat a Funco! While they handle great, the top finishers who happen to drive Funco's are very talented. The Georges have been racing since before they could stand up to pee. No doubt their cars are very well dialed in and their talent is top notch due to experience. I think they ( and other top finishers) would be hard to beat in any car.

Sure I show up to win but in reality know there are more talented drivers out there that also know how to properly set-up their suspension etc etc. I just do the best I can and see where I place.

Also as a privateer the thought of "whats gonna break that I can't afford to fix" is in the back of my mind. I paid dearly for my race due to the high angle hammers I was running. Luckily I had some extra cash to fix it when I found the problems on the next trip.

However I did bow out of the LCQ for fear of more breakage. I was more concerned with being able to afford to finish the dune season.

Anyway I am ready to give the dethroning a shot this season :)

PS. Chummin-calm down, this is the internet ;)

So Rodger DeCoster could still beat most people riding a new bike of their choice on one of his antique RM370s, so whats the point? Its driver for the most part and a good portion of balls. :moof:

There are as many reason why the winners have won, as there are different winners.

But keep in mind, probably 80-90 % of those who race in any given EPO, are there just for fun and know they have no chance of winning. Only a small handful are actually racing seriously.

:bs:

You get a bunch of GUYS that enter a RACE and you dont think they are trying to win? Especially if they can be THE ONE that ends the Funco streak. I dont buy it, but its a nice excuse to fall back on.

(No offence Mes Toy)

:funny: def none taken.

Let me say something, when I get out there I'm in it to win. Yeah, I probably won't but making the top ten would ROCK! So am I driving to win? HELL YEAH I AM! Do I know there are better drivers and better cars out there racing? Yup. Do I care? Nope. On any given Sunday people...sometimes shait happens and I would love to make it happen! :mes:

So you're saying that 25 other drivers are gonna blow up their engines and you're gonna keep it shiney side up long enough to win, eh?

Vegas was built by people like you!

:lol::lmao::thumbup:

There is no doubt that Funco has some of the best drivers in G or in the off road industry driving their cars, I don't see myself beating Greg or Chad or John anytime soon no matter what I'm driving...Its all Good! :cheers:

I drive our black Funco in Second Wind and finish just ahead of all the DNF's BUT car runs great :funny:

ST drives our car in Run For the Gold. Car goes in limp mode from overheating 3/4 into second lap and finishes 11th.

Chad drives our car in Run For the Gold and car goes into limp mode 1/2 into second lap and finishes 5th. Chad had fastest 1st lap time overall.

And some of the Funco drivers won't beat anybody BUT they will look good doing it !!!! :lmao:

Thankfully the Funco Boys and the Killin it Crew are more than willing to make sure this Funco girl never gets left in the dunes even if they have to drive in circles to keep an eye on her !!!!!! :cheers:

There is no doubt that Funco has some of the best drivers in G or in the off road industry driving their cars, I don't see myself beating Greg or Chad or John anytime soon no matter what I'm driving...Its all Good! :cheers:

I think a little more credit is due to the racers (copulation of posts). All I’m seeing is the manufacture of a car while a very important name is being left out…JOHN from Outfront.

It is starting to sound like this is a race where all non-Funco owners are trying to beat a Funco…I never once thought I was racing Funco when I was racing this past season, I thought I was racing other duners that had a passion for racing and that were competitive. Furthermore, it also sounds like "If you don’t own a Funco, don’t bother coming” event which is ridiculous. While I think the intent of this thread here in Bench Racing was to stir the pot, we need to make sure that we do not steer people away.

I for one, will once again tip my hat to the champion, John from Outfront, who drove a FUNCO. In addition, it is tipped to FUNCO for their continued championship heritage in the sand and now, soon to be, CORR events.

With all that said, John you have a big arse target on your back Bro...

i think an epo race on the same course they set up for the s.a. shoot out would be interesting......................

I heard that funco did win the SA shootout. They must have built the course for Funcos. Crap, it happens everywhere.

bad news sampler funco didnt. scu did. more bad news, eyeball scored higher marks in the dune category than funco. so i think it would be interesting to see an epo run on that course. so they must have not biult it for funcos. i think it would be interesting is all i am saying..............................

ooops my bad, Congrats to SCU :clap1:

what the heck they built a SCU track :blink: what were they thinking :funny:

stop the talk and walk the walk !!!

lets get out there and do this :moof:

Fast duners that I've duned with that don't drive funcos...for example Duneflyer, Josh@danzio, FlyinRyan. IMHO, they are all very fast duners and they don't have funcos. Have they been invited to the epo?...I don't know.

josh (once)

duneflyer (lots of races got a #3 I belive :thumbup:

buckshot (once)

lots of big names have gave her a go and the track varies everytime.

No doubt it hard to beat a Funco! While they handle great, the top finishers who happen to drive Funco's are very talented. The Georges have been racing since before they could stand up to pee. No doubt their cars are very well dialed in and their talent is top notch due to experience. I think they ( and other top finishers) would be hard to beat in any car.

Sure I show up to win but in reality know there are more talented drivers out there that also know how to properly set-up their suspension etc etc. I just do the best I can and see where I place.

Also as a privateer the thought of "whats gonna break that I can't afford to fix" is in the back of my mind. I paid dearly for my race due to the high angle hammers I was running. Luckily I had some extra cash to fix it when I found the problems on the next trip.

However I did bow out of the LCQ for fear of more breakage. I was more concerned with being able to afford to finish the dune season.

What?

Isn't that what I have been saying?

Say it isn't so...

Hmmm, who knew...?

I think a little more credit is due to the racers (copulation of posts). All I’m seeing is the manufacture of a car while a very important name is being left out…JOHN from Outfront.

It is starting to sound like this is a race where all non-Funco owners are trying to beat a Funco…I never once thought I was racing Funco when I was racing this past season, I thought I was racing other duners that had a passion for racing and that were competitive. Furthermore, it also sounds like "If you don’t own a Funco, don’t bother coming” event which is ridiculous. While I think the intent of this thread here in Bench Racing was to stir the pot, we need to make sure that we do not steer people away.

I for one, will once again tip my hat to the champion, John from Outfront, who drove a FUNCO. In addition, it is tipped to FUNCO for their continued championship heritage in the sand and now, soon to be, CORR events.

With all that said, John you have a big arse target on your back Bro...

I talked to John at the show.. He knows that bullseye on his back is glowing and everyone can see it. He also stated hes gearing up for whatever is thrown his way.

Sorry if I get all caught up in it folks - its exciting - its Racing.. The folks who put it on work hard to do it. I can go on all day about the "track" but the most simple solution/answer

It cant be in the mainstream of Glamis. Saftey factor for everyone in Glamis.

Well it seems no one wants to talk about when and where the EPO is, so people like myself arent going to become interested in something that seems to be some mystery anytime someone wants info on it.... secrets dont make friends ya know. The more people know about the EPO the more cars will want to compete and the more input you will get on this whole thing.......... Funcos will be dethroned quickly if you had more than just a few cars there... HINT HINT i have a certain sandlimo that would love to "punish" a few funcos

Are you effin new or what?? You think you have what it takes to run with the big dogs?? Sign your ass up then.. :D

http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index....howtopic=150633

Oh, dont get mad at me.. My job is to find you folks outside the usuall crowd.. :D

got the LINK.... PUT MY NAME IN ON THE THE LINK

I'm certainly glad to see the folks in the buggy world haven't lost any of the great competitive spirit over the long, hot summer...A nice refreshing bench racing thread is a great way to get fired up for the coming season, with all the fun sure to come with it.

As I read through the thread, I picked out something that is captured by these couple representative quotes (I'm not picking on anyone personally, just a thought process that I see):

i think an epo race on the same course they set up for the s.a. shoot out would be interesting......................

Or invite the cars used in the S. A. shoot out and their owners to see if it is the car or the driver? :hmm:

I don't think you can compare the EPO to Sand Addictions excellent shootout article. If you read the article, the first paragraph clearly states SA's intent and I'll quote part of it here:

The event is designed not to tell you which car is superior, but rather to identify the areas where each car stod out the most and excelled. This way you, as a consumer, can make the best choice for yourself using the criteria that best fits your personal needs.

Right up front, SA says they are not looking at this as a way to determine the superior performing car. And you can tell that from the rated categories which include things that are definitely not absolutes when "superior performance" is the goal. SA has done a very nice job of looking at the cars they tested from many differing viewpoints, and I think is looking at it with the same sort of criteria many duners use when they make a decision to buy a car. Since we can't just go down to the local dealer and take a test drive before we plunk down large sums of cashola, this sort of evaluation is to me anyway, a valuable tool for many while doing their pre-purchase research.

The EPO is a completely different animal. Where the SA might be considered a "decathlon", trying to be good at many different aspects in the sand sports world, the EPO is more a middle distance sprint. The EPO looks at one thing, and one thing only: how fast a particular car, with a particular driver, can get around a challenging course made up of typical duning conditions on a typical day. It doesn't matter if your car is a rust bucket, with torn seats, joyner quality weld blobs, with torn seats, no chassis triangulation, your head is poking over top of the muffler tubing roll cage, running self-grooved dually slicks from the 60's, held together with bailing wire and bubble gum, and running an old Dodge slant six motor with a one barrel carb, if you complete the course in the shortest time, your car is going to be considered the winner, and others are going to aspire to knock you off of that coveted throne.

The SA article is a comparison where the EPO is a race. The two are simply apples and oranges. Someday, maybe even this year, someone will beat a funco. That is the nature of racing. I can guarantee you that when that happens, the funco folks, led by the whole George family will be among the first to congratulate the winner, for that is also the nature of racing. Then, they will be right back in the garage, looking for that little edge that will put them back on top of the heap. That too is the nature of racing.

So, I ask again....can you beat a funco? It looks like some are certainly planning on giving it a try :)

I'm certainly glad to see the folks in the buggy world haven't lost any of the great competitive spirit over the long, hot summer...A nice refreshing bench racing thread is a great way to get fired up for the coming season, with all the fun sure to come with it.

As I read through the thread, I picked out something that is captured by these couple representative quotes (I'm not picking on anyone personally, just a thought process that I see):

Or invite the cars used in the S. A. shoot out and their owners to see if it is the car or the driver? :hmm:

I don't think you can compare the EPO to Sand Addictions excellent shootout article. If you read the article, the first paragraph clearly states SA's intent and I'll quote part of it here:

The event is designed not to tell you which car is superior, but rather to identify the areas where each car stod out the most and excelled. This way you, as a consumer, can make the best choice for yourself using the criteria that best fits your personal needs.

Right up front, SA says they are not looking at this as a way to determine the superior performing car. And you can tell that from the rated categories which include things that are definitely not absolutes when "superior performance" is the goal. SA has done a very nice job of looking at the cars they tested from many differing viewpoints, and I think is looking at it with the same sort of criteria many duners use when they make a decision to buy a car. Since we can't just go down to the local dealer and take a test drive before we plunk down large sums of cashola, this sort of evaluation is to me anyway, a valuable tool for many while doing their pre-purchase research.

The EPO is a completely different animal. Where the SA might be considered a "decathlon", trying to be good at many different aspects in the sand sports world, the EPO is more a middle distance sprint. The EPO looks at one thing, and one thing only: how fast a particular car, with a particular driver, can get around a challenging course made up of typical duning conditions on a typical day. It doesn't matter if your car is a rust bucket, with torn seats, joyner quality weld blobs, with torn seats, no chassis triangulation, your head is poking over top of the muffler tubing roll cage, running self-grooved dually slicks from the 60's, held together with bailing wire and bubble gum, and running an old Dodge slant six motor with a one barrel carb, if you complete the course in the shortest time, your car is going to be considered the winner, and others are going to aspire to knock you off of that coveted throne.

The SA article is a comparison where the EPO is a race. The two are simply apples and oranges. Someday, maybe even this year, someone will beat a funco. That is the nature of racing. I can guarantee you that when that happens, the funco folks, led by the whole George family will be among the first to congratulate the winner, for that is also the nature of racing. Then, they will be right back in the garage, looking for that little edge that will put them back on top of the heap. That too is the nature of racing.

So, I ask again....can you beat a funco? It looks like some are certainly planning on giving it a try :)

Very well said!!!!!

I think the question should have been.... Can anyone beat John in his Funco?

If I get the chance again I'm going to try my ass off. Sure we can make excuses,cars not running right, Under horsepowerd, etc., etc. but when it's all said and done who ever gets that #1 shirt in the end deserves it,Be it a noob or a vet. The SA challenge is the opinion of others the EPO is fact. Who cares how the coarse is set up were all running the same one. I feel pretty damn good making the top ten and I don't take that honor lightly but I always will be gunning for #1.

Edited by painterjoe

What?

Isn't that what I have been saying?

Say it isn't so...

Hmmm, who knew...?

OK, I just have to address this too....and I apologize in advance if I hurt your feelings, but I just don't understand that mindset.

I have been involved in some sort of competitive sport formally and informally all of my life. I even include my job in there, as I see myself competing with others there too. Inside my head, I don't ever let myself think "I can't beat this guy", as I've learned if I do, then the only sure thing is that I will never beat him. Certainly at strategic times, I will verbally say I can't win, but believe me, mentally I'm not listening..;)

Chad, Greg, Grant, John from Outfront, etc, can ALL be beaten. They are all humans, and are all able to make mistakes, have a car malfunction, etc. I too drive a funco, and I know its the same car they have. The only real hardware difference is the nut behind the wheel, so I don't feel that is an unrealistic expectation. While the last thing I want to do is break my car, the reality is that can happen at any time when we're out duning. While in "normal" driving, I do think about the car, and try to minimize the chances of breaking something, but honestly, the only thing I'm thinking during an EPO is to go as fast and as smooth as I can, because even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then..;)

If you're going to spend the time, energy, effort, and money to go to an EPO, I strongly suggest you approach it with the mindset that you are going to give it 110% to win..otherwise you are missing the very point of the whole event.

So far, every winner of an EPO was driving a turbo Subaru powered Funco.

We'll see if that changes in the future.

So far, every winner of an EPO was driving a turbo Subaru powered Funco.

We'll see if that changes in the future.

My prediction is that it will.....the question is "when"? ;)

Everybody likes stats and we have them all.. You can check them out at the EPO website - link is in my signature..

First to Fly:

1. Tripod 3:48.22 Funco 0

2. Poule43 3:50.82 Elite 0

3. Jimmie Long Travel 3:53.19 Sand Limo 0

4. Funco4Life 3:54.07 Funco 0

5. BeachHead 3:55.78 Funco 0

Second Wind:

1. Gary Gall 3:46.82 Funco 0

2. Chad George 3:50.40 Funco 1

3. Mike Green 3:50.90 Funco 0

4. John@SU 3:51.50 SU 1

5. OSotoGari 3:54.00 SCU 0

Third Time

1. John @ Outback 3:26.50 Funco 0

2. Larry 3:28.13 Susp.Unl 0

3. SandZilla 3:34.41 Sand Limo 0

4. Duneflyer 3:35.37 AllStar 0

5. Kash 3:38.28 Funco 1

GNC

1. John @ Outback 3:08:87 Funco 0

2. Kevin 3:12:22 Susp.Unl 0

3. Larry 3:15:00 Susp.Unl 0

4. WildBill 3:16:47 Susp.Unl 0

5. Chad 3:18:15 Funco 0

Given the differences in times - 1 lil screw up within these top 5 can cost you big time!!!! And I assure you - it was this close throughout the field for the most part..

No doubt 110% was given :)

YEEEEHHHAAWWWWW, SLAPPY JUST LOOOOOOVES TO TALK RACING. Y'all don't know how Slap is feeling right now...He's got an entire bottle of Wesson Oil, a spatula, mini-pickles, AND IS HAVING HISSELF A TIME READING ALL YOUR COMMENTS. Great stuff, and wonderful passion. Just keep your eyes open, and may this season be as fun as we KNOW it will be.

Great ideas from many of ya, and Slap is taking it all in.

When it comes down to it, THAT'S RACING BABY. THE CHECKERED FLAG TELLS NO LIES.

I heard that funco did win the SA shootout. They must have built the course for Funcos. Crap, it happens everywhere.

bad news sampler funco didnt. scu did. more bad news, eyeball scored higher marks in the dune category than funco. so i think it would be interesting to see an epo run on that course. so they must have not biult it for funcos. i think it would be interesting is all i am saying..............................

ooops my bad, Congrats to SCU :clap1:

what the heck they built a SCU track :blink: what were they thinking :funny:

:cr033:

So Rodger DeCoster could still beat most people riding a new bike of their choice on one of his antique RM370s, so whats the point? Its driver for the most part and a good portion of balls. :moof:

There are as many reason why the winners have won, as there are different winners.

But keep in mind, probably 80-90 % of those who race in any given EPO, are there just for fun and know they have no chance of winning. Only a small handful are actually racing seriously.

:bs:

You get a bunch of GUYS that enter a RACE and you dont think they are trying to win? Especially if they can be THE ONE that ends the Funco streak. I dont buy it, but its a nice excuse to fall back on.

(No offence Mes Toy)

:funny: def none taken.

Let me say something, when I get out there I'm in it to win. Yeah, I probably won't but making the top ten would ROCK! So am I driving to win? HELL YEAH I AM! Do I know there are better drivers and better cars out there racing? Yup. Do I care? Nope. On any given Sunday people...sometimes shait happens and I would love to make it happen! :mes:

So you're saying that 25 other drivers are gonna blow up their engines and you're gonna keep it shiney side up long enough to win, eh?

Vegas was built by people like you!

:lol::lmao::thumbup:

No I'm saying that I don't just talk the talk...I actually get my arse out there and drive...when will I see YOU out there??? Skeered of a girl?? Just askin! :mes: