BeachHead

Can Anyone Beat A Funco?

Any track is TOPs for a Funco

Well in my own opinion the fastest cars and the best drivers that I have seen did not drive Funco's or run piston engines. Not very many real drivers still out there with the invention of the LS engine.

Well in my own opinion the fastest cars and the best drivers that I have seen did not drive Funco's or run piston engines. Not very many real drivers still out there with the invention of the LS engine.

No pistons?

You mean this guy

landspeeder.jpg

sounds like a member of the rotary club..................................

Yes Ralph,old owner of Dunes edge ran a very fast Rotary in an S-U(LIGHT AND NIMBLE 1200lbs-1400lbs) and he had alot of seat time to practice out there alone during the weeks/years he was around living in Glamis....he had some fast friends as well. I disagree with your opinion about current drivers and LS motors however.There are alot of fast LS duners out there,regardless of the bad wrap some take for not beeing "true duners".I think you know as well as anyone how much $$$$$ it takes to make a rotary live and they are simply not reliable or practical any longer.The VW is still a great motor in a light car also,but has limitations imo and its costly to make them run hard.IMO Ralphs old car would tank at the epo because it lacks low end torque and drivability....remember the drags???? He would start from a 1/4 mile back and jump into the drags at 80mph to get spooled up,it did scream by the end of the drags and not many cars to this day would beat it from a long roll....I agree.If you ever duned with Ralph at 80-100mph...he was flat out crazy jumping from dune/dune,one crazy m/f....different times with fewer people in the dunes.Was his tallent truely better than the current duners of today??????? ....EPO does take skill,timing and smoothe controlled driving =fastest time.

Ive been to a couple of the epo races now,duned with Ralph,Larry S-U(placed top 5 in last epo w/blownLS1) and alot of other fast guys over the years .I also think Grant is one of the fastest drivers Ive duned with over the years. He did run away from me driving a 2.5 subie Funco....I was in a blown LS2 Hustler that was only geared for 80mph max and he left me a couple times as I ran out of gearing....he could have left me even after a regear im sure :sha: .Ive owned everything back to the corvair/vw days,to subbies,hondas and all the way up to 1200hp stroked Danzio twin turbos and they are all extremely fun and fast in different ways.In the correct car with the right driver,I think an LS1,Honda,Subbie etc could all be within seconds of one another in the next epo and I wouldnt exclude an LS just yet from winning.It may be a Funco,SCU,S-U,Allstar,Alumicraft or maybe even a Mosebilt if it was set up correctly.

My hat is off to all who have raced the EPO. Ive duned with most of them over the years and would ride passenger with just about every one of them (and i hate riding bi#tch) because they are all "great duners" in my book regardless of chassis or motor choice.Have fun and remember its only a race :yay: Dune safe this season!!!

^^ Well said.. ^^

And those that finish the race are even more skilled.. :laugh:

:igar:

I will agree that there are a lot of great duners that run V8's. I just like the skill it takes to drive 2 stroke power like the Mazda. I run with a guy who had a 3 Rotor and switched to a V8, still ungodly fast. Personally my 2.5 Subie is the perfect balance of drive ability (torque) and skill.

Yes Ralph,old owner of Dunes edge ran a very fast Rotary in an S-U(LIGHT AND NIMBLE 1200lbs-1400lbs) and he had alot of seat time to practice out there alone during the weeks/years he was around living in Glamis....he had some fast friends as well. I disagree with your opinion about current drivers and LS motors however.There are alot of fast LS duners out there,regardless of the bad wrap some take for not beeing "true duners".I think you know as well as anyone how much $$$$$ it takes to make a rotary live and they are simply not reliable or practical any longer.The VW is still a great motor in a light car also,but has limitations imo and its costly to make them run hard.IMO Ralphs old car would tank at the epo because it lacks low end torque and drivability....remember the drags???? He would start from a 1/4 mile back and jump into the drags at 80mph to get spooled up,it did scream by the end of the drags and not many cars to this day would beat it from a long roll....I agree.If you ever duned with Ralph at 80-100mph...he was flat out crazy jumping from dune/dune,one crazy m/f....different times with fewer people in the dunes.Was his tallent truely better than the current duners of today??????? ....EPO does take skill,timing and smoothe controlled driving =fastest time.

Ive been to a couple of the epo races now,duned with Ralph,Larry S-U(placed top 5 in last epo w/blownLS1) and alot of other fast guys over the years .I also think Grant is one of the fastest drivers Ive duned with over the years. He did run away from me driving a 2.5 subie Funco....I was in a blown LS2 Hustler that was only geared for 80mph max and he left me a couple times as I ran out of gearing....he could have left me even after a regear im sure :sha: .Ive owned everything back to the corvair/vw days,to subbies,hondas and all the way up to 1200hp stroked Danzio twin turbos and they are all extremely fun and fast in different ways.In the correct car with the right driver,I think an LS1,Honda,Subbie etc could all be within seconds of one another in the next epo and I wouldnt exclude an LS just yet from winning.It may be a Funco,SCU,S-U,Allstar,Alumicraft or maybe even a Mosebilt if it was set up correctly.

My hat is off to all who have raced the EPO. Ive duned with most of them over the years and would ride passenger with just about every one of them (and i hate riding bi#tch) because they are all "great duners" in my book regardless of chassis or motor choice.Have fun and remember its only a race :yay: Dune safe this season!!!

^^^^^

Mike is the man lots of days in the dunes.

You were insturmental in my learning about what cars can and cant do when you had the big alumicraft car.. Never forget those days.. :D

I think Ralph's car is still the fastest buggy I've seen at the drags. I remember seeing that thing flying, about half way down the drags he hit the gas pedal and the roost went from 20' to 100'. That thing was ballistic.

I think Ralph's car is still the fastest buggy I've seen at the drags. I remember seeing that thing flying, about half way down the drags he hit the gas pedal and the roost went from 20' to 100'. That thing was ballistic.

I build desert cars and we dont have anything in our arsonal to beat Funco in the dunes .these guys dedicate all thair time and efforts to building the best handling "SAND" cars on the market and have done a spot on job not forgetting what Duning is about . there is not a big car in the planet that will beat a Funco in the dunes .if you want to beat a funco go to Barstow but once again the overgrown sand cars of today wouldent last 30 miles out there .no doubt funco is a purpous built car and Grant and the crew will all attest to that . EPO will have a Funco be first car untill some company tries to build a tottaly purpos built car and eaven than good luck .not trying to stirr the pot just puting the smell of coffe in the air .funco in the dunes = porche .masive sand car in the dunes = Taho go figure im not going to try to beat a porche with a Taho on a road race track no matter how bad you my taho is and how manny turbos it has eventually it has to turn . Good luck guys hope this annalasys helps and sory about the spelling.if youre car is a called a "limo" its in the name man no offence but limos are for parties and weddings .not racing

Edited by fusionoffroad

dont know how ralfs car post was at the top of mine it wasnt supposed to but on that note I agree at the drags that thing was scarry fast .

Can they be beat? Yes. Will they be beat? Not likely. Chad can drive almost anything fast but in a Funco, he will be faster than anything out there at the EPO. Don't believe me? Call him out and see for yourself. And put him in any brand car and he will still kick @ss, but faster still in his Funco.

One thing I have noticed personally, if you try "too hard" you will be slower than if you just drive "steady." Every time I thought I was slow a drying paint, I had my fastest lap. When I thought I was flying... It was my slowest lap. And if you hit two or three cones... Forget about it. :D The Funco are fast because they can drive those cars with one foot mashed on the gas, while steering it with one hand on the wheel and one hand on the turning break... I have no idea what they do with the other foot but it's not on the break peddle. :lol: And until brand "X" can be driven like that, it will not be at the top of the EPO.

I've duned with all those George boys and I loved every second of it. They dune very fast, but they will tell you I was right there with them pushing them all the way. But I wasn't leading and that takes more effort and skill. Following someone, even going fast is easy. <(see monkey do monkey) Be leading fast takes years of experience, and the George boys have that in spades! If you ever get invited to go along on a rip run with those guys, take it!... You'll find out real quick if you are as fast as you "think" you are...

JMHO,

Zilla

Can they be beat? Yes. Will they be beat? Not likely. Chad can drive almost anything fast but in a Funco, he will be faster than anything out there at the EPO. Don't believe me? Call him out and see for yourself. And put him in any brand car and he will still kick @ss, but faster still in his Funco.

One thing I have noticed personally, if you try "too hard" you will be slower than if you just drive "steady." Every time I thought I was slow a drying paint, I had my fastest lap. When I thought I was flying... It was my slowest lap. And if you hit two or three cones... Forget about it. :D The Funco are fast because they can drive those cars with one foot mashed on the gas, while steering it with one hand on the wheel and one hand on the turning break... I have no idea what they do with the other foot but it's not on the break peddle. :lol: And until brand "X" can be driven like that, it will not be at the top of the EPO.

I've duned with all those George boys and I loved every second of it. They dune very fast, but they will tell you I was right there with them pushing them all the way. But I wasn't leading and that takes more effort and skill. Following someone, even going fast is easy. <(see monkey do monkey) Be leading fast takes years of experience, and the George boys have that in spades! If you ever get invited to go along on a rip run with those guys, take it!... You'll find out real quick if you are as fast as you "think" you are...

JMHO,

Zilla

Damn Zilla, leave those monkeys alone :lol:

I think if you put Chad in any competitive car out there he'd still come out on top. Zilla got his Limo into 3rd as I recall, not bad for a car that big (and the time to 2nd was pretty close right?).

JMHO,

Zilla

I think if you put Chad in any competitive car out there he'd still come out on top. Zilla got his Limo into 3rd as I recall, not bad for a car that big (and the time to 2nd was pretty close right?).

Yeah... I got a 2nd behind Chad that time when they mixed cars and bikes together. And a couple of 3rd place finishes... All of it pure luck. But don't forget about the cone killing ride I had at the last time EPO... Oh yeah, THAT was pretty. :-/ But the Funco's do well every race. And with good drivers, they will be hard to beat.

The power to weight ratio is a killer set-up... And don't forget about that turning break thingy... It works! I put one set of brakes on my car in three years... Those guys go through a set in a WEEKEND! But it's small price to pay for a car that you can drive like a Air Boat. :D No, they are not for everyone... I never said they were. But when it comes to the EPO, or events like that where you have to "dune"... Well, I guess history speaks for itself.

JMHO,

Zilla

Yep I have run with those Funco guys before and they are for sure KINDA fast.

JMHO,

Zilla

Yeah... I got a 2nd behind Chad that time when they mixed cars and bikes together. And a couple of 3rd place finishes... All of it pure luck. But don't forget about the cone killing ride I had at the last time EPO... Oh yeah, THAT was pretty. :-/ But the Funco's do well every race. And with good drivers, they will be hard to beat.

The power to weight ratio is a killer set-up... And don't forget about that turning break thingy... It works! I put one set of brakes on my car in three years... Those guys go through a set in a WEEKEND! But it's small price to pay for a car that you can drive like a Air Boat. :D No, they are not for everyone... I never said they were. But when it comes to the EPO, or events like that where you have to "dune"... Well, I guess history speaks for itself.

JMHO,

Zilla

zilla was my pick, think I put to much pressure on the old feller :ex: :D

JMHO,

Zilla

JMHO,

Zilla

zilla was my pick, think I put to much pressure on the old feller :ex: :D

No... Not your fault. I'm just a crappie driver. :cry:

As I recall, it was Diane's fault; something about not enough weight in the car to keep the front end down. Not sure what her 90lbs would have contributed :lol:

I have not yet had tha pleasure of beating a funco yet but i am always ready to add another mark yo my list of defeats!

all the grants hall the mail but I would like to put a c & g subi in one of my c1 lites and give em a run for thair dinero it would be interresting

Beat a funco ... there was a tree at windy bay that beat a funco right grant?

JMHO,

Zilla

:yay:

3000 views.. :thumbup: