L.R.S.

Over The Legal Length At Glamis

Every trip i am over 70' and have yet to be stopped or checked. Knock on wood. I also have a class A. Before I started pulling this setup I called the Arizona Highway patrol and the check points between AZ and CA and everyone told me there is no length law on non commercial vehicles in AZ as long as both trailers are under 28' you are OK.

if both trailers are 28.6 and under you can go to 75' but not over, same law for AZ and CA

Edited by Idrive2

Those few miles between CA and AZ cost me $425 last season; rat bastards. I didnt learn my lesson, probably get another this season :lol:

Every trip i am over 70' and have yet to be stopped or checked. Knock on wood. I also have a class A. Before I started pulling this setup I called the Arizona Highway patrol and the check points between AZ and CA and everyone told me there is no length law on non commercial vehicles in AZ as long as both trailers are under 28' you are OK.

if both trailers are 28.6 and under you can go to 75' but not over, same law for AZ and CA

If you know that to be true then you know more than the AZ Highway Patrol and the Port of entry on both the AZ and the CA side because I have talked to both of them a few times and they have no idea.

then again, no matter if the lengths legal or not, if the weights of everything combined, even with legal lengths, you still get popped if the tow vehicle is pulling more weight than legal.

I can pull my tag and a small flatbed with my F250 7.3 ... double tags... but if my gross combined weight is too much for my truck, I get popped

Edited by fng2moto

then again, no matter if the lengths legal or not, if the weights of everything combined, even with legal lengths, you still get popped if the tow vehicle is pulling more weight than legal.

I can pull my tag and a small flatbed with my F250 7.3 ... double tags... but if my gross combined weight is too much for my truck, I get popped

You sure? I thought the only weight issues were rear axle weight in relation to the max load for the tires.

^^^^^ Im not sure that is true, they can get you for over weight on your tires but I am pretty sure the weight rating on the truck is manufacturer recommended not the law. Now if you get in an accident that is a whole new ball game. I have never seen someone get an overweight ticket in a non commercial pickup.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm in Ca. and my registration says commercial on it for a F250. Unless you will never put anything in the bed of your truck in Ca. you must keep it commercial. Having a camper shell is another way to drop the commercial registration.

I dont recall my CA registration saying commercial on it (nor would I understand why).

The whole weight and length issue is like cheating the IRS...it's all good until you get caught. :dunno:

And I hope that you have a lot of $ to spend on a lawyer if you get in an accident and you are over weight/length. Even if the accident is in no way your fault you are going to get screwed by the law, the insurance companies and probably the other parties involved.

I personally think it is absolutely stupid to have the 70' law. And even stupider that each state is different. So if you are 72' rig in AZ all good. As soon as your 72' self gets to CA you are breaking the law. :dunno: Why not have a 75' NATIONAL law? But we are talking about the Government...

Also that 55 while towing is the most ridiculous thing ever...man that last 50 miles from Blythe to G is soooooo long. :(

Stupid CA laws...

The whole weight and length issue is like cheating the IRS...it's all good until you get caught. :dunno:

And I hope that you have a lot of $ to spend on a lawyer if you get in an accident and you are over weight/length. Even if the accident is in no way your fault you are going to get screwed by the law, the insurance companies and probably the other parties involved.

I personally think it is absolutely stupid to have the 70' law. And even stupider that each state is different. So if you are 72' rig in AZ all good. As soon as your 72' self gets to CA you are breaking the law. :dunno: Why not have a 75' NATIONAL law? But we are talking about the Government...

Also that 55 while towing is the most ridiculous thing ever...man that last 50 miles from Blythe to G is soooooo long. :(

Stupid CA laws...

I definitely agree with the national law idea especially for interstates it is so ridiculous that it changes from one to the next on the same stretch of road. I have a friend that drives over the road for UPS from Phoenix to Blythe every day. He pulls doubles to and from but when he hits CA they have to drop there last trailer to be legal. I talked to him today and there is a 50 mile buffer zone from state to state where the AZ laws are good in CA as long as you are in the ZONE. So to Ogilby I am legal but to Glamis I am not, crazy world................

I dont recall my CA registration saying commercial on it (nor would I understand why).

On the top left of your registration it says "coml" It is my understanding that all pickups with uncovered beds are commercial. Like many have said.....Cali is stupid. It has to do with them collecting a weight tax.

On the top left of your registration it says "coml" It is my understanding that all pickups with uncovered beds are commercial. Like many have said.....Cali is stupid. It has to do with them collecting a weight tax.

I never heard that one. But then again I refuse to live in CA unless I moved to Glamis. :D

I thought it had to have a specific GVWR before it was considered commercial (10k maybe?)?

Dang...a whole lot of talk about something so simple. read the California Drivers handbook and all your questions will be answered. The you have a simple choice, follow the laws or don't it's your choice.

Bitch about the laws if you want, again it's your choice..come to California or stay out.

I personally hate Las Vegas and think it's a stupid place...I just don't go. For those who live there, enjoy it.

If you don't like California, don't come here.

We could use the extra room in our dunes. :nag:

Edited by SCU Tom

I thought it had to have a specific GVWR before it was considered commercial (10k maybe?)?

Hey Aaron, the problem you are having is trying to apply common sense to Calif. law. Doesn't work! All pickups, even compact types, are automatically classified as commercial and will have a six number & one letter

license plate #. It is my understanding that you can only change this classification by installing a camper unit and then re-register vehicle as an RV. New plates will then be four numbers and three letters. Subsequent

removal of camper unit and use of pickup for for hauling anything else is a violation of licensing and subject to heavy fines if cited. also the citation is like a fix-it ticket and requires re-registration as commercial to

clear. A camper shell does not constitute a camper unit unless specifically fitted as a sleeper unit. This info came from a retired CHP who seeemed to know what he was talking about.

John

Dang...a whole lot of talk about something so simple. read the California Drivers handbook and all your questions will be answered. The you have a simple choice, follow the laws or don't it's your choice.

Bitch about the laws if you want, again it's your choice..come to California or stay out.

I personally hate Las Vegas and think it's a stupid place...I just don't go. For those who live there, enjoy it.

wow really?

wow really?

LOL...

Funny how the tunes change...

"California sucks, the laws are stupid, I hate the place..yadda yadda yadda"

"can't wait to get to the best place on earth" (the dunes)

Fricken tourist just need to make up their mind..the dunes ARE in Kommiefornia...does the place really suck?

Its like a guy bitching about how ugly someones sister is...then bragging about how good she was in bed...If she's so ugly, don't sleep with her.

Stupid CA laws...

I definitely agree with the national law idea especially for interstates it is so ridiculous that it changes from one to the next on the same stretch of road. I have a friend that drives over the road for UPS from Phoenix to Blythe every day. He pulls doubles to and from but when he hits CA they have to drop there last trailer to be legal. I talked to him today and there is a 50 mile buffer zone from state to state where the AZ laws are good in CA as long as you are in the ZONE. So to Ogilby I am legal but to Glamis I am not, crazy world................

You should see what I go through in the Heavy Haul business...ie. 3 Axel low bed trailer Ca =60,000 lbs, Az =54,000 lbs

Ut = 61,500 lbs Co = 65,000 lbs Tx they dont give a F%$&! Thats only a fraction of the BS :moof:

On 10/24/2008 at 6:49 AM, L.R.S. said:

I haven't been to Glamis since '98 and we're going out Nov 7-10, I think to cement flats. I've seen previous posts about CHP cracking down on rig's over 65'. I haven't measured but best guess is we'll be about 68' tip to tip. So other then the ticket what else do they do? Can we still drive after that or will they have us park until I can get someone to come pick up the trailer? How much is the ticket?

I've heard about this problem too....but it's always my cousins, neighbors, sister in laws hair dresser that got the ticket . . . . 

:rotf:

On 10/25/2008 at 1:20 PM, BOBALOO said:

Commercial tags allow to park in a yellow zone...if a cop hassles, sorry Officer this is a loading zone!

I am loading.

But your at the ATM...?

Yep, I'm loading my wallet!

:lmao:

I have a fiber glass bed cover, does that mean I can ditch my commercial plate ? DON~~~

New pictures 263.JPG

Nice 10 year thread revival:rbj:

29 minutes ago, donparscale said:

I have a fiber glass bed cover, does that mean I can ditch my commercial plate ? DON~~~

New pictures 263.JPG

If you register the truck as a station wagon, suburban type vehicle, you might be able to.  You might need a shell. 

I did this back in the 90"s.

3 hours ago, CRUSTY said:

I've heard about this problem too....but it's always my cousins, neighbors, sister in laws hair dresser that got the ticket . . . . 

:rotf:

We need to start calling you the Indiana Jones of Glamis Dunes. 

I like that this thread was started by LRS asking this question.