RustyRea

7.3l Powerstroke Upgrades

I have an 02 Excursion with the 7.3L Diesel. It pulled my 21 footer just fine, but I've noticed that my friends with the 6.0L are smoking me up the grade with bigger trailers angryfire.gif . My new trailer is coming in next week (31' Blazen) and I am definitely in need of a little more power. Does anyone have any advice or experiences with the different brands of chips/exhausts etc? Thanks

My buddy has the Banks system (Chip + exhaust) that he is very happy with.

if you are going to be pulling a trailer that size running a chip....make sure you get a good EGT gauge to keep an eye on whats going on in your engine

Yes, what BaNsHeE350 said.

The higher hp chips, 80+ hp, run the EGT up into the "oh wow" range. When your EGT gauge reads 1400, that's a bad thing. Some of the companies now are offering tunable contol modules that give you a choice of performance gain. Although it's not the one I run, Bullydog has a very nice switchable box. A couple of my buddies run it and really like it.

The other thing you need is a 4" turbo back exhuast. Banks has an awesome ss system, but it's pretty pricey. I got an aluminized 4" system from Summit Racing for $299 and it fits perfect. That one is hard to beat for the price.

Also, a k & n is always a good choice. You could invest in one of the numerous open air intake systems on the market. Or you could do what I did and cut out the plastic in the radiator support to allow air flow directly into the airbox inlet.

(Boy, after reading this, I sound like a real tightass unsure.gif Neccessity is the mother of invention)

Nothing wrong with tightass--cheap and effective is what I'm looking for. I appreciate the advice on the EGT as well. I think I am definitely looking for a switchable system, and I have found them from Banks, Bullydog, and Western Diesel on the net, but I just don't know who's got the better system for what I need. It looks like they are all fairly simple to install, or so they like to make it look, but does anyone have a recommendation on where to get these systems and/or install them? I live in the San Diego area.

im not a diesel guy yet, but banks and bullydog seem to work well. i know banks is good with big gas engines as well. yes the switchable chips are a good idea, that way its not always there and you dont always have to glue your eyes on your EGT gauge.

The 6.0 is a lot stronger than the 7.3. I have a 96' 7.3, my uncle has a 03' 7.3 and friend has the 04' 6.0. The 03' 7.3 with the intercooler and banks package from the dealer runs pretty strong, stronger than my stock 96' by a long ways. But, that 6.0 hauls a$$. It accelerates like a car and throws you in your seat. Just remember that when you are hauling a huge trailer and have all these mods, your tranny will be the weak link. If you put more torgue through that tranny, you are asking to blow seals. I would say that a trans temp guage is just as important as thew EGT guage. Put a deep sump aluminum pan with cooling fins on the trans and add a trans cooler with fan and thermastat. A converter for your application will also help.

Just go big and throw propane it, quit dick'n around!!! laughing.giflaughing.gif

Thanks for the input everyone.

Except hivltg

"Just go big and throw propane it, quit dick'n around!!! "

Screw you and your 6.0L angryfire.gif

And your twin 36 gallon pump stations!!! angryfire.gifangryfire.gifangryfire.gif

Some good info above...

I don't think I'd use the K & N air filter if you go to Glamis often though...

I don't believe they filter the sand well enough.

There is a huge amount of info on chips exhaust towing etc. at: www.deiselstop.com

Also I'd look at regearing to 4:11 maybe even 4:56

depending on what size tire you have.

I have an 80+ chip ( hypermax) 4" exhaust ( Magnaflow) with pyro guages ( tranny,exhaust,boost) on a 01 PSD with 6" lift and 35 BFG's and I smoke 6.0's!

fly by Duramax's like they were standing still! uh maybe thats cause they were parked laughing.gif

Tranny thing is true and I believe to be the weak link.... I had mine beefed up...

Most of the work to the truck was done at 4wheelparts warehouse (except tranny)

www.4wheelparts.com .

Definately get the switchable programmer, you don't want to tow at 80+ 25no_no_no.gif

I have an 00 Excursion Limited 4x4 Deisel with a 6" lift on 35's. I went to Mech Tech and Jim put a 90hp TTS chip in, I added the 4" exhaust, K&N Filter and of course all the guages to monitor whats going on under the hood and I get better miliege than stock. I pull a 04 FS3000 WW without any problems and with 74000 Im still on my factory trany.

AVlube has done oil anaylsis on a huge number of diesels. The K&N air filter lets too much dirt through (the element is only 1/8" thick.) Diesels are VERY susceptible to dirt in the intake.

The paper element filters out dirt, but has lower flow rates. I use an oiled Amsoil dual foam filter which flows and filters better than stock, but the best results at AVlube have been from the oiled UNI filter. He reported incredibly clean oil from a rig that used it, and they flow great. I'm switching to the UNI filter.

If you don't want to use an oiled element, try and adapt a Donaldson paper filter. They use them on the big rigs, the Cummins guys love them, the desert racers use them, it's just a question if you have enough room under the hood.

As for chips, I don't have a 7.3L, but have heard Steve Cole from TTS and Quad Boenker from Quadzillapower know how to make hp and keep EGTs down.

The Powershot 2000 propane system made an extra 98rwhp on my rig, you can switch it on and off when necessary and it increases smoothly with boost. It's not all that expensive at $600 or $650. It can lower EGTs 50-100*, which is pretty amazing since all of the programmers radically increase EGTs at 100hp levels, that's why they tell you not to use higher levels when towing.

You can save a few bucks on the tank setup if you just put a BBQ bottle in the bed, properly strapped, of course. You can use it to roast your buddies up the hill, then unhook the bottle to cook their steaks in camp and then fry them again on the way home. laughing.gifrollsmile.gif

R, Steve

Just hook the hose up to your trailer tanks while your towing it!!! icon_wink.gif that way you got 7 gallons to use vs 5 gallons. icon_wink.gif

check out www.afefilters.com, they got a new 7.3L stage 2 intake kit.

Just hook the hose up to your trailer tanks while your towing it!!! icon_wink.gif that way you got 7 gallons to use vs 5 gallons. icon_wink.gif

That would work great, provided you never run out of LPG while in camp.

Can you imagine the wife tearing your head off, "Waddya mean there's no LP??? I'm gonna freeze my ass off tonight and take cold showers because YOU wanted to haul ass up the hill?? I TOLD you to slow down anyways! Which of these friggin rocket scientists told you to do this? Chummin? Socaldmax? I'll go fix those fockers... angryfire.gif "

On second thought, you never heard *any* of this from me. I don't know squat about propane. It was ALL Chummin's idea. icon_wink.giflaughing.giflaughing.gif

The Powershot 2000 propane system made an extra 98rwhp on my rig, you can switch it on and off when necessary and it increases smoothly with boost. It's not all that expensive at $600 or $650. It can lower EGTs 50-100*, which is pretty amazing since all of the programmers radically increase EGTs at 100hp levels, that's why they tell you not to use higher levels when towing.

See Rusty, I told you to quit dick'n around and put propane on it!! Then you might be able to keep up! laughing.giflaughing.gif

As long as both of my pump stations are empty

I've had 2 Excursions w/ the 7.3 PSD both lifted one 4.5" w/35s the other 6.5" w/ 37s.

The smaller just had a superchips programmer adjustable for 70-90-110 hp boost. You can't go wrong if you go w/ the extra 70 hp to gain power and tow safe.

The bigger truck had K&N, banks full exhaust, gauges and a programmer along with 4.56s to turn the 37s. It did awsome and would tow anything I threw at it, usually with plenty of power to spare and decent gas mileage. I noticed towing at 70 Hp kept exhuast in a much better spot than the other two settings.

I got a 02 7.3 PSD and I tow with the super chip high performance package chip and a 4" exhaust from RDP. Good price fits good and the guys are pretty cool. The 4" exhaust is big for the EGT's. Got to have one of them and with the hipo package my temps dont get over 900-1000. I used to use the tow package chip and without the exhaust we are talking 1100-1300, not good. Trans is the weak link, I put in another heavy duty cooller with auto fans. Works great and temps really cool off fast.

What type of $$$ are you guys spending for gauges and pods, chips and exhaust??

What type of $$$ are you guys spending for gauges and pods, chips and exhaust??

Chip $500

Gauges $350

Exhaust $500

Intake $165

icon_biggrin.gif

^^^ It is money VERY well spent on a diesel truck....the difference is unreal

Thanks for the advice everyone. I went with the superchips programmer and a 4" exhaust along with a full guage package. I might add the afe intake when they are in stock.

At what EGT temp should I start to worry and back down? At what tranny temp?

Thanks again,

Rusty

Max EGT temps pre-turbo are 1250 to 1300. Anything over that and the pistons will not like it. Max trans temps are 220. If you hit that, stop and let the tranny cool off. Depending on load and if the converter is locked up will vary temps greatly. The stock converter makes a ton of heat when unlocked. Heat is the killer of the 4R100. I added a Tru-Cool Max #4739 cooler last summer and it works great. Get the AFE ASAP. The stock box will leak and flow is marginal. The next question you will have later is what is that "huff,huff,huff" sound when I'm pulling a load at around 1900 to 2000 RPM? That is called turbo surge and your turbo hates it. If left unchecked, eventually it will kill the turbo bearings. A Wicked Wheel compressor wheel or an ATS ported shroud housing will solve that. Once you start to mod these things, you will find that shops will sell you anything. They won't tell you that as a side effect of this part, you will need this to fix that, and on and on. I've got a lot of mods to my PSD and more to follow, but just be aware that its a nasty habit. Also, consider leaving the propane and the NOS alone. They do make great power, but the rods and bearings hate the stuff, and the dealer will tell you that your warranty is great toilet paper and nothing else. Just how fast do you want to pull the hill anyways? I can pull most 6% grades at 50 to 53 mph pulling 14k lbs if I want. Usually though, a truck or slower moving rig will get in the way and slow me down. It is nice to have that kind of power though when you need it. Have fun modding the rig and check out the forums at www.thedieselstop.com for more info on your rig than you will find anywhere.

Well he isn't concerned about how fast he pulls the grades, just how much faster other people are going laughing.giflaughing.gif

just kinding rusty, and I'll give it to myself 25brdflick.gif so you won't have to!!