Motorhome Life

• Forum Moderator

Da chEFF has officially ruled out the Veterans Trip this year. Extremely SAD news coming from this camp. I can't recall missing a Veterans Trip / Dune Season.

Motorhome Update: Had to find "THE MAN" in charge last Friday. Had a pleasant conversation. He had no idea what was going on. The NEW program they have implemented is the location in Denver handles all their scheduling in ALB NM. After the long conversation, I received a call Monday from a lady in Denver. The tech and I no longer speak. I'm sure he didn't like knowing I went over his head to get some updated result. Anyway....Cylinder "FOUR" is scarred. I had a long conversation with the lady and suggested she contact the CAT rep and get them to back their product. I sent over the Crated Motor Invoice I bought from Caterpillar. (MAR 2018) Sent every "SERVICE RECORD" completed on that motor since it was installed. I'm ANAL about keeping up with maintenance. Although the Invoice clearly reads: "ONE YEAR UNLIMITED MILES". I have driven 6,000miles a year since March 2018. Serviced Once a Year. I'm anxious to hear how CAT is going to respond. I have not allowed them to move forward with the repair without a quote from them first. She said it will take a week to get the quote. My Story.....CAT has to back their product. Previous motor lasted 17 years and 163,000 miles.(Many Trips to Glamis) It's not like I was expecting the same results with the new one! (I WAS). Hope to report back to y'all soon. BTW....Quoted $4800.00 to have it towed to Phoenix. Damn the luck! Peace

• Sad 2

10 minutes ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

I wish Romans was still running his diesel engine repair shop. 

what happened to him, i miss his posts

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, zilla68 said:

He went dark right around the election. SO I am guessing he has completed the shelter, stocked his freezer and pantry and is in a place where he can keep his powder dry and is just waiting on the notice to proceed.

• Like 1

For future reference, too late now I guess, a compression test can be done without even getting yer hands dirty. Its simple really, any competent TECH should know how. With an oscilloscope. 1 channel goes to a non contact amp probe, clamped around the starter wire, 1 channel to a crank sensor, or injector wire, if electronic. The amp clamp measures the amp draw in milliseconds, while the crank sensor measures witch cylinder is on its compression stroke. Takes 10 seconds of cranking, then look at the graph, line up the injection pulses, or crank signal with the corresponding cylinder, and look at the amp draw of each cylinder stroke. It won't give you a specific psi, but it will tell you if they are all the same or not. If one is low, you will know witch one by the crank pulse, or injector pulse. Easy peasy. Done it many times. That way it takes 15 minutes, your hands don't even get dirty, and you can tell the customer if they should proceed or not.....

I was a TECH at one point...... I have many tricks up my sleeve 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, zilla68 said:

I had heard he got an offer to work for a company that was to good to refuse so he sold his shop. I remember some years back before he sold, he had on hand ready to go long block 3126/C7 Cats. 

• Forum Moderator
8 minutes ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

3126/C7 Cats. 

I was told they're disposable motors. That made me feel special. And they're SMALL little motors. I thought I had a diesel pusher. Apparently not. I'm wanting the 605hp Cummins in my next coach. Peace

18 minutes ago, ChEFF said:

I was told they're disposable motors. That made me feel special. And they're SMALL little motors. I thought I had a diesel pusher. Apparently not. I'm wanting the 605hp Cummins in my next coach. Peace

They just don't have sleeved cylinders, they can be rebuilt. If you have room under your rv step up to a C9 and bigger trans. If you really want to step it up the C32 is a beast but you probably will lose the rear bedroom. :lol:

• Haha 1

A long, long time ago my buddy did a 3116/3126, out of a wagon drill, at his machine shop. Bored and sleeved back to standard, IIRC. We did not R&R the engine. Given the cost of labor, etc., I think the long block advice may be on target.

Edited by 1HasBeen

• Forum Moderator

Finally got a report on the Coach. $24,000 to fix a motor that didn't make 25,000 miles! EFF CATERPILLAR!! Peace

IMG_3115.JPG

IMG_3116.JPG

• Sad 2
  • Angry 2

On 10/27/2021 at 2:48 PM, SANDPSYCHO said:

They just don't have sleeved cylinders, they can be rebuilt. If you have room under your rv step up to a C9 and bigger trans. If you really want to step it up the C32 is a beast but you probably will lose the rear bedroom. :lol:

This. Problem with them not being sleeved is they can not do an in frame. They have to remove the block and get it line bored. Being in a motorhome is an added obstacle. 

26 minutes ago, ChEFF said:

Finally got a report on the Coach. $24,000 to fix a motor that didn't make 25,000 miles! EFF CATERPILLAR!! Peace

IMG_3115.JPG

IMG_3116.JPG

that's insane, labors like 9k? so what do you do, just say hey keep it, its yours?

• Forum Moderator
2 minutes ago, zilla68 said:

that's insane, labors like 9k? so what do you do, just say hey keep it, its yours?

That's definitely in my thoughts right now. Peace

• Forum Moderator
5 minutes ago, ROBERT L said:

Can they have it done by Monday?  Look on the bright side you saved $6,000 from your last time. 

The "LAST TIME" was 3 years a go! Just don't seem right! Peace

• Forum Moderator
1 minute ago, ChEFF said:

That Mountain Aire is looking better by the minute. 

• Forum Moderator
4 minutes ago, ROBERT L said:

That Mountain Aire is looking better by the minute. 

KING AIRE! Peace

• Thanks 2

• Forum Moderator
7 minutes ago, 1HasBeen said:

DPs are a ballbuster to tow and service.

Luckily it was running this time. Last motor blew up in Gila Bend. Had it towed to Phoenix. $2500.00

Peace

• Like 1

We are looking at new(er) motorohomes and debating on going gasser or diesel. Looking at that repair bill is making the gasser look better and better. 

2 hours ago, ChEFF said:

What does your paperwork from the last time say?  Do they give you mileage or time for warranty ? Or no warranty at all? 

• Forum Moderator
9 minutes ago, MWB said:

What does your paperwork from the last time say?  Do they give you mileage or time for warranty ? Or no warranty at all? 

12 mos unlimited mileage. Peace

• Sad 1