Jump to content

Which LED buggy whip?


Dunerking
 Share

Recommended Posts

Not sure if it belongs here,just didn’t want to start topics in each of sandrail,SxS,and ATV. I did the search but mostly found people talking g 10’-12’ buggy  whips. 
Wife wants to get a pair of LED whips for the Wildcat XX and wanted to get consensus of what everyone is running and happy with? 
-We don’t need the most Disco of light shows,maybe something that we could change per the group were running with or vibe we’re in. 

-Also the most reliable electrical connection 

-Some of the people in our group run the 5150 and the look nice and the magnetic mount is a nice option. Just be worried it would fall out though. 
Thanks for any info/suggestions! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have 5150's for my Can-Am. The magnetic base is super easy and I have never had an issue with a whip coming out. They only issue I have that I do not like is after two seasons, the fit of the whip base into the base that is bolted to the car has got a little sloppy/loose so it makes a rattling noise that drives me nuts. I took the bases off and tapped them for two set screws each and that stopped the play in them for a while but at the end of last season they were starting to get sloppy again. Other than that issue, they have been great and always worked.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

5150 Whips is a GD.com sponsor, fellow duner, and good guy.  They have some excellent whips, have been around for awhile, and can set you up with what you might be looking for.  
Contact Andy, 800-674-9920

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a Safe Glo whip I'll make a deal on. The quick release base breaks every time you use it, but if you drive to San Dimes and hang out at their business, they might show up and fix it so it will break on the very next trip. 

 

  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have owned and probably have backups of few others. I am now only running @Whipsandshyt. Buggy whips customer service sucks a donkey and will never buy another one of their crappy whips, 5150 is good for their warranty, they would be my 2nd option.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, URCLEVER said:

I have owned and probably have backups of few others. I am now only running @Whipsandshyt. Buggy whips customer service sucks a donkey and will never buy another one of their crappy whips, 5150 is good for their warranty, they would be my 2nd option.

X2

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

i guess just depends on what you want to spend. 

l have some amazon ones that were like $150 for the pair. they are bluetooth so i can control from my phone but also has a remote. it has tons of options from solid light to patterns to flashing with the music you are playing. even the RGB color spectrum so you can make it what ever color you want.  sizes ranging from 3'-6' i have the 4'

they are not the quality of 5150 or whipsandshyt, but they get the job done. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

for my XX I got a 4ft SafeGlow in RED/WHHITE/BLUE when they had a 4th-July build sale special.
https://safeglowhips.com/product/original-led-safeglo-whips-with-rca/

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I bought a pair from @Whipsandshyt last season and they've been good. They're simple and so far reliable.  I previously had a very expensive whip with the electrical connector (4 pin) built into the quick release base.  I had lots of issues with it.  I think having a simple power connector separate from the base (like @Whipsandshyt) is more reliable.

My biggest issue is making any flags live longer than a trip. Has anybody found American flags that last? The 3 foot ones are to big, so I try to find ones that are 18"-24" and they just fray at then end within days.  Maybe I'm just too fast? 😁

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, sndsamplr said:

5150 Whips is a GD.com sponsor, fellow duner, and good guy.  They have some excellent whips, have been around for awhile, and can set you up with what you might be looking for.  
Contact Andy, 800-674-9920.  👍

Just saw that they are a site sponsor! Would definitely like to support a a business that takes care of us! 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, kazuaki said:

I bought a pair from @Whipsandshyt last season and they've been good. They're simple and so far reliable.  I previously had a very expensive whip with the electrical connector (4 pin) built into the quick release base.  I had lots of issues with it.  I think having a simple power connector separate from the base (like @Whipsandshyt) is more reliable.

My biggest issue is making any flags live longer than a trip. Has anybody found American flags that last? The 3 foot ones are to big, so I try to find ones that are 18"-24" and they just fray at then end within days.  Maybe I'm just too fast? 😁

I just bought this one, we'll see how it goes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J5WO5BE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5150..im on 3 sessions and not a single issue, rattle or problem.i only use them a night.i don't run them 24/7.during the day I run a reg flag so maybe thats why I have no issues.but we mob the dunes hard and that magnet is strong and will hole strong...dont be scared!!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

i have 5150 on my turbo s, 2 lighted 2 ft whips and 1 non lighted flag for daytime.

these are new, my old rzr had some larger 5150's and never an issue

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...

Gorilla Whips suck azz. I had two, neither lasted worth a darn. Whips & Shyt are very strong and bright with good support. However, I changed to 5150 on all four toys for the magnetic base. I got tired of dealing with the little pins and those magnetic bases on 5150 are just extremely convenient. The 5150 whips are also very strong and well built. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've always used Quick-Light LED Whips and have always had good luck with them. Customer service is great and they don't look like all the other LED whips. 

If money is no object 5150 Whips seem to be well built and very popular, if on a budget then Safe-Glow Whips seem good. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You will be happy with the 5150 whips I have a set off non lighted for the day and only run the lighted ones at night. Their customer service is awesome and their warranty too I hit a tree branch first trip out snapped one of the lighted ones off they had me send both back replaced the broken one and checked out the other to make sure no issues with quick turnaround that’s the reason I run the non lite in the day. 
I have had mine in use since 2018 no issues with the bases or magnets really a good system 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, NOAZ longshot said:

What works better, the spring base or a more flexible whip?

i run the amazon led whips not sure on flexible but after 3 trips they both broke both of them right at the base. lost one satruday and the other one on the sunday ride. i didnt want to rewire anything so i bought the same ones again but this time the spring base, im 3 trips in on the spring base and nothing broke yet. but i wont know if they are really better untill next season when i get some more trips in. odd part was the pair with the spring base was a few bucks cheaper than the non spring base. so figured it was worth a try. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/19/2022 at 4:16 AM, GBR said:

You will be happy with the 5150 whips I have a set off non lighted for the day and only run the lighted ones at night. Their customer service is awesome and their warranty too I hit a tree branch first trip out snapped one of the lighted ones off they had me send both back replaced the broken one and checked out the other to make sure no issues with quick turnaround that’s the reason I run the non lite in the day. 
I have had mine in use since 2018 no issues with the bases or magnets really a good system 

I have been running the 5150 whips for a while.  I do the same as you - run the non-lighted whips during the day.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

Shout Box

Shout Box

You don't have permission to chat.
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...

    Important Information

    Terms of Use Privacy Policy