New Polaris Pro R

Looks like Polaris will be releasing the Pro R on 11/9/21.   In typical Polaris fashion they give us a glimpse with a cool video.

RJ Anderson ripping up Long Beach in a Pro R

https://youtu.be/5PoiT-hTG2g

• Like 2

• Site Sponsor

That Video was AWESOME!!!!

Some wild skilled driving 4 sure!!!!

:poule:

Edited by Poule43

5 minutes ago, Lord of the Dunes said:

Nice driving! I'm impressed they got permission to drive on the beach and drift on the streets!

That is what I was thinking, but if you pay you get the pass.

• Like 2

Everybody has been saying this will have the new 4cyl NA motor from the Slingshot and a sequential.  I've had serious doubts about that the whole time.  First, would Polaris want to break the ROTV definition?  What would that even look like for selling in CA?  Second, Polaris has no history with a sequential, it'd be a new from-scratch deal for them.  So I finally watched the vid, my thoughts...

• It does sound like it could be a bigger NA 4cyl, but also sounds a bit like a PROSTAR
  • It does NOT sound like a sequential, it definitely sounds and acts like a CVT though when he gets on it after the big opening jump.  When they show the dash at like 1:46 as he accelerates off the jump, goes to like 8700 RPM and just holds - CVT-like.  All throughout when he gets on it it jumps and holds RPM like a CVT
  • Can we talk about how close he came to over-jumping that big opening jump and pure flat-landing it on pavement??? 😐😐😐😐
  • Wilkey was there for the sand-drags, somebody aXe him what the scoop is
  • It does indeed look like Polaris is trying to answer the call of the newer X3s (200HP RR) and Speed 

-TJ

• Like 2

Here are my thoughts on this model.

As we saw in the UTVWC, a non turbo vehicle with excellent suspension and a lot less hp can pass everyone except the leader in an offroad race. As Branden Sims (a factory Polaris racer) said, he'd like to see more suspension on UTVs. 

This model appears to have plenty of power, but I see very little in improvements in suspension strength or travel in this model, especially compared to the Speed. So instead of building a more balanced vehicle (more suspension compared to power) Polaris has chosen to keep on playing the "5 more hp" game with Canam again this yr.

Branden Sims also said he'd like to see a 6 speed sequential gearbox instead of a CVT. For ultimate speed, I agree, for slow speed rock crawling, I think a CVT model would still be better than something with a clutch.

I'd love to see a 300 hp Speed with a 6 speed sequential, but nobody is there yet.

This might be an incremental increase in chassis strength and safety for Polaris. I still prefer the Speed. I wish someone would put a radio control system in each model and drive them off a 10 ft cliff at 50 mph. Then a 15 ft cliff, then a 20 ft cliff, and keep going until the weaker one fails, then keep going on the other one until it fails, just to see what it takes to break each one.

1 hour ago, tjZ06 said:

Everybody has been saying this will have the new 4cyl NA motor from the Slingshot and a sequential.  I've had serious doubts about that the whole time.  First, would Polaris want to break the ROTV definition?  What would that even look like for selling in CA?  Second, Polaris has no history with a sequential, it'd be a new from-scratch deal for them.  So I finally watched the vid, my thoughts...

• It does sound like it could be a bigger NA 4cyl, but also sounds a bit like a PROSTAR
  • It does NOT sound like a sequential, it definitely sounds and acts like a CVT though when he gets on it after the big opening jump.  When they show the dash at like 1:46 as he accelerates off the jump, goes to like 8700 RPM and just holds - CVT-like.  All throughout when he gets on it it jumps and holds RPM like a CVT
  • Can we talk about how close he came to over-jumping that big opening jump and pure flat-landing it on pavement??? 😐😐😐😐
  • Wilkey was there for the sand-drags, somebody aXe him what the scoop is
  • It does indeed look like Polaris is trying to answer the call of the newer X3s (200HP RR) and Speed 

-TJ

It has a belt drive.  It will allegedly be able to shift from high to low and low to high on the fly.  It is a 4 banger motor, not sure if it is from the Slingshot or a different motor.  Polaris builds the motor for the Slingshot and it makes sense for them to use it. 

We will get all the details on 11/9/21. 

Now this is a disturbing looking drive train. Yes, that sideways piece is the belt drive housing, with an input shaft and 2 output shafts. It's located right behind the seats. Can you say nightmare?   LOL How exactly do you put a new belt on with 2 driveshafts coming out opposite sides? 

"the “base” version will launch with a new CVT housing (first reported on our Facebook page) located BEHIND the seats!"

cvt-1024x810.jpg

transfer2-1024x686.jpg

Lol, similar belt setup to my 2010 RZR 800.  That was a fun belt to change.  Strip out the back seats, harnesses, rear firewall, belt cover, etc. - then you have horrible access to the belt...#Polarisprogress

• Like 3

Definitely doesn't sound like a 2 cylinder.  Note the exhaust on the driver's side versus the passenger side on the current engine.  All the spy photos of the R with the 4 cylinder had the same header setup.  At 3:36 you get a good shot of the gated shifter.  Maybe a CVT (hard to read the shifter), but not a sequential.  At around 3:40 you see the steering wheel and no paddles either.

3 minutes ago, Lord of the Dunes said:

Is that an anti-sway bar?

No, you can see the sway bar link attached in the bottom left corner of my pic.  These bars go all the way up to the trailing arm pivot area.

rzr_Swing2.thumb.jpg.7b41a97d3141737aaa2421f246ef2cdb.jpg

6 minutes ago, kazuaki said:

No, you can see the sway bar link attached in the bottom left corner of my pic.  These bars go all the way up to the trailing arm pivot area.

rzr_Swing2.thumb.jpg.7b41a97d3141737aaa2421f246ef2cdb.jpg

Hmmm...

maybe it's just for decoration. That's my best guess.

Edited by Lord of the Dunes

53 minutes ago, kazuaki said:

What's with the red bar going through the swingarms? Are current RZR's like that?

rzr_Swing.jpg.6509bd79f3bd93d32066c61b878e2a5c.jpg

34 minutes ago, Lord of the Dunes said:

Hmmm...

maybe it's just for decoration. That's my best guess.

Probably a toe link / 3rd radius rod.

Edited by DTA
  • Like 1

Yeah I remember someone saying it was for controlling toe. What about the front axle going through the shock Clevis to the lower arm?? Sure is funky. 

613579C1-A9FA-4487-A546-E2554C6DA1B2.jpeg

Edited by CampfiresNbrews

13 minutes ago, CampfiresNbrews said:

Yeah I remember someone saying it was for controlling toe. What about the front axle going through the shock Clevis to the lower arm?? Sure is funky. 

613579C1-A9FA-4487-A546-E2554C6DA1B2.jpeg

Well those photos are from 2+ years ago. 

The idea was stupid then and is still stupid today.

I'm hearing the CVT belt is behind the seats as well. 

How many more stupid ideas can you put into one package?

What I am most curious about is how the race orgs are going to recognize this model being a 2.0l engine. 

Should get interesting and we will get to see how much pull Polaris ready has with the orgs.

Edited by DTA

17 minutes ago, DTA said:

Well those photos are from 2+ years ago. 

The idea was stupid then and is still stupid today.

I'm hearing the CVT belt is behind the seats as well. 

How many more stupid ideas can you put into one package?

What I am most curious about is how the race orgs are going to recognize this model being a 2.0l engine. 

Should get interesting and we will get to see how much pull Polaris ready has with the orgs.

Damn, so they weren’t forced to mount the shock that way??!! They actually designed it like that??! Wow! I thought they did that cause of RG’s patent on mounting it to lower arm.  guess not if this was designed and built over 2 years ago. 

Edited by CampfiresNbrews

3 minutes ago, CampfiresNbrews said:

Damn, so they weren’t forced to mount the shock that way??!! They actually designed it like that??! Wow! I thought they did that cause of RG’s patent on mounting it to lower arm.  guess not if this was designed and built over 2 years ago. 

Maybe that is the reason. First I'm hearing that one but I guess it makes sense.