ElCaminoManT

Remember Your Wheel Bearings And Suspension!

i was blown away on the test tow....it tows great, and to my delight the chucking has deminished ALOT!! now bearable

time to celebrate with a tastey beverage......or 2..... :D

post-2477-1255842999_thumb.jpg

Hey John what year is your trailer? Just curious to know the time frame on the amount of wear on the parts. Also did you previously have zerks?

my rampage is a 2003, built in december 2002. and no, it didnt have zerks and it was noisey as hell. those orange nylon bushings that were in the leaf springs were DESTROYED!

Very nice looking kit. I just finished greasing my wheel bearings and suspension this weekend. I had a blow out in phoenix, and one of the lug nuts was cross-threaded and it ruined the stud. I figured since I have to replace the stud, I might as well do the whole thing.

if anyone has any questions on the install, let me know as i have some additional pics of different parts of the install. a ball joint press from harbor freight will be a wise investment for pressing in the splined bolts as a c-clamp just doesnt cut it. also, use one of the old suspension bolts to aid with installing the brass bushings. itll keep from deforming the bushings as you either press them into the springs or as i did, you can use a small sledge hammer and gently tap them in, but DONT GET CARRIED AWAY!!

alright, i just towed the trailer down here to el cajon from hemet. i must say, the trailer tows nothing like it did before, with the exception of the chucking that this thing has always had. it has however diminished ALOT and really only does it now on rough sections of freeway. the biggest difference i noticed is that the trailer no longer bucks and bounces when going over bumps, expansion joints and bridge junctions. its very controlled and smooth, the trailer also feels ALOT more stable going down the road, doesnt seem to sway like it did before. the weird part is that im not used to hearing zero noise from the suspension, not a squeak or rattle or anything! for the last 4 years, between this trailer and ye ol warrior, nothing but rattles, clunks, pops and creaking.

very happy with the results, its refreshing that a product delivers on its claims. i HIGHLY recommend this upgrade to any leaf sprung rig :thumbup:

Edited by ElCaminoManT

Nice Thread thanks for posting

Thanks for sharing the info. Just baught a project singlewide for storage and spun a bearing and wheel on the way home, only 10 miles away. Resorted to getting 2 new 5500 lb. axles each to keep that little scare from happening again.

got mine....thanks for the heads up. this kit is great. my pictures suck, sorry. trailer is an 08 cr3905 triple axle. the new shackles are 1/2" thick!! they are tilted in the pictures, because the trailer is parked in a downhill gutter. when it sits level, they look like elcaminomant's pictures.

gallery_16784_650_1088931.jpg

gallery_16784_650_1206416.jpg

Edited by saychz316

nice kit eh? im VERY happy with this purchase for my trailer, well worth the $$.

keep an eye on your hanger to equalizer clearance, does it rub the rubber at all? might have to move the springs and equalizers to the other mounting hole if they do

Edited by ElCaminoManT

First off this needs to be Pinned because all of us are going to be doing this sooner or later and it is a great wright up with Photos. The past year I have had 2 spare shackles - a bolt with me and praying everytime I hit a bump or bump the tires or look at the suspension... Time to suck it up and spend the time & $$$$ Thanks again

maiden voyage with the trailer was fantastic. nothing rubs, tows smooth, and handles great. i might also add, that in addition to having this suspension kit on my trailer, i also have a fifth airborne hitch on the front of my warrior. makes towing just that much better!

as a side note to all you people out there with trailers, especially heavy trailers (15k& up). i am very good about greasing my suspension on my trailer, and keeping it greased. the stock shackles, wet bolts and equalizers were starting to show significant wear, and the bushings were ovaling out. these parts were brand new when i picked up my trailer new in june of 07. if you have not bothered to take a look at your suspension bushings and shackles in the past 2-3 years, you are in for a rude suprise.

if you dont put this kit on your trailer, at least replace it with the dexter shackles and bushings. well worth the money and peace of mind when towing.

^^ zactly!

i ran into this over new years was going to leave tuesday afternoon.i was checking the tire pressures and found a rear spring sitting on the frame.went to lowes and got some flat 1/4in steel and made some new ones shackles.then while i was under there i found the otherside was about to break so i made a coulpe more and off i went.i will be looking into this kit for a summer project

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

i dont get it...

what exactly is this "kit" suposta improve?

what is chucking?

:dunno:

the rubber 'cushions' you see actually compress and absorb shocks and vibrations from the suspension while traveling down the road. it is supposed to dramatically cut down on stress to the coach itself. people may not believe it, but let me say this. i have a little digital thermometer that sits on my kitchen counter, its not held down by anything, it just chills there. before i put this kit on the trailer, the thermometer would either have fallen over on the counter or fallen on the floor whenever i got to my destination and other stuff in the trailer would move around. after the kit was installed, the thermometer doesnt move more than an inch even after traveling some rather rough roads.....such as going up the cajon pass and 395 to lone pine. stuff in the back of the trailer that is just on the floor doesnt move either. that tells me that the overall ride in the trailer has smoothed considerably and the vibrations have diminished greatly. the biggest thing i noticed in the truck is when traveling over bridges and other 'joints' in the road. it used to be very rough and jarring, now the trailer just cruises over them without so much as a rattle from the magnets in the trailer brakes.

'chucking' is pretty much contained to 5th wheel trailers and is a back and forth jerking that is felt in the tow vehicle. it usually happens on rougher roads or freeways with apparent expansion joints. my trailer used to just do it all the time, smooth road or rough it didnt matter. i think alot of it had to do with the loose suspension and the trailer bounced around alot more.

I see that most of you guy's have installed this kit on newer WW and such (06+). I have an 04' SLC, with Alko axles(I think!)

Will this Dexter kit work on my coach? Has anyone done this to an older WW?

By chance, does anyone have a part # for the kit that I would use?

Thanks in advance for any/all help.

Mike

I see that most of you guy's have installed this kit on newer WW and such (06+). I have an 04' SLC, with Alko axles(I think!)

Will this Dexter kit work on my coach? Has anyone done this to an older WW?

By chance, does anyone have a part # for the kit that I would use?

Thanks in advance for any/all help.

Mike

Dexter Equalizers

Just measure your axle spacing center to center. They have plenty of kits to fit various trailers. Both double and triple axle setups.

i dont get it...

what exactly is this "kit" suposta improve?

what is chucking?

:dunno:

like the camino man says,,,

it will help eliminate a lot, not all, of the road vibrations. it reduces the vibrations on the coach, as well as on the tow vehicle. its a cushion between the road and your truck and trailer. it really does improve the tow quality of your trailer.

this is how i describe "chucking" to those that dont know what it is.

you are towing your fifth wheel down the road. you start hitting a bumpy patch of freeway, almost like a rhythm section off road. the truck and trailer will buck together, kind of feels like you are "dry humping" (bad visual, i know) your steering wheel while sitting in your seat. although its not that bad, it gets annoying. i put a fifth airborne air ride hitch on my trailer in conjunction with my dexter axle kit, and it all but eliminates it. the heavier the fifth wheel, the heavier the "chuck" my old fiver barely did this, but it was only a 9k travel trailer. my warrior is 18k loaded.

Edited by saychz316

lets get this back to the top so people see it and can take note for summer maintenance

btw, as already asked, can we get this thread pinned please?

another suggestion is to check and clean your lug studs and lug nuts when you have them off for whatever reason. also a good idea to put a little dab of anti sieze on the threads as well to keep them from galling. last time i put the wheels on my trailer, i noticed the lugs at one of the wheels were a little rough going back together but they all tightened down ok. this past weekend i replaced all the tires on my trailer and when was putting the wheels back on, and even with a little anti sieze, 2 studs on that troubled wheel stipped right off. sooo i got to pull that drum back off in order to replace all 6 studs and nuts with new. the bearings, grease and seals still look great after just about a year. napa had the closest thing i could find for parts, for a cool $45! effers! the studs and nuts are a little different design but fit perfectly and i know they are torqued properly.

btw, if anyone is looking for a good solid bottle jack to lift their rig, i highly recommend the 12 ton unit from harbor freight. ive had this thing since i bought the warrior which is more than 5 years now and it works great! lifts my 5er with ease and the price is right as well

post-2477-1282012857_thumb.jpg

post-2477-1282012886_thumb.jpg

post-2477-1282012971_thumb.jpg

post-2477-1282013000_thumb.jpg

post-2477-1282013049_thumb.jpg

Projects look great guys! These kits are well worth the money. If I may add one more suggestion as well.... Cross bracing is a good idea with these systems. The reason being is since you have stiffened up your suspention, the forces that were being distributed through the play in the undercarriage are now going to be transferred into the frame of the trailer. Over time, this will fatigue your frame and cause some pretty serious damage. I will post some pictures of damage I have seen from "flipping axles" and/or stiffening the suspension without cross supports. I will also post some pics of a few different cross support systems we have built to give you some ideas. Enjoy!

post-15721-1282762806_thumb.jpg

post-15721-1282762822_thumb.jpg

post-15721-1282762836_thumb.jpg

post-15721-1282762850_thumb.jpg

post-15721-1282762865_thumb.jpg

post-15721-1282762879_thumb.jpg

post-15721-1282762897_thumb.jpg

post-15721-1282762910_thumb.jpg

post-15721-1282762924_thumb.jpg

post-15721-1282762937_thumb.jpg

post-15721-1282762950_thumb.jpg

post-15721-1282762964_thumb.jpg

post-15721-1282762981_thumb.jpg

post-15721-1282762998_thumb.jpg

now, thats some serious stuff right there!

You guys do some nice work.Rob sent me those pics of his trailer and the toolbox mount on the truck.

Sweet work guys.