ElCaminoManT

Remember Your Wheel Bearings And Suspension!

board member spotted!

Cross_Bracing_Examples__9_.jpg

You guys do some nice work.Rob sent me those pics of his trailer and the toolbox mount on the truck.

Sweet work guys.

Thanks. Rob has a very nice rig! Were hoping to see him back soon to do some other little detals and he will be ready for the season. If I'm lucky enough, He will let me play with his car to. LOL. That was a fun project and am excited to have Rob as a my customer. Hoping this will show the family we are willing and ready to gain new customers and keep everyone safe for this season and many more to come.

if anyone has any questions on the install, let me know as i have some additional pics of different parts of the install. a ball joint press from harbor freight will be a wise investment for pressing in the splined bolts as a c-clamp just doesnt cut it. also, use one of the old suspension bolts to aid with installing the brass bushings. itll keep from deforming the bushings as you either press them into the springs or as i did, you can use a small sledge hammer and gently tap them in, but DONT GET CARRIED AWAY!!

i have a question for ya.

I am thinkin about doing the install on my 08' 34' stellar 5th.

will you measure the spring hanger locations for me?

i need to know the distance from center to center of each hanger from front to back. Apparently when eclipse ordered the chassis for my 5th from the chassis manufacturer (lippert) they spec out the center axle to be attached with shackles on both ends of the leaf spring. so my center axle moves around a TON when towing and breaking, well it moves alot when breaking too... basicly the "rocker" or equalizer you have between the center and rear axle, my trailer has 4 of those... and the "rocker" or equalizer you have between the center and front axle... yeah, the one that offers a fixed mounting point for the center axle leaf spring, my trailer has 0 of those...

i am worried the spacing of the "hangers" may be incorret for a simple bolt on dexter ez flex install...

if it is, then i guess ill have to break out the millermatic.

they should be the same regardless of whether they use the fixed mounting equalizer for the center axle or not. all WW trailers run the same setup as your trailer and the dexter kit works fine. ive always wondered about if the middle axle moves all around with that type of setup, now i know.

ill see if i can get under the trailer this weekend, its supposed to rain so that could make it interesting.

best thing for you to do is to measure your axles for their spacing, its either 33" apart or 35" apart. measure from the center of the center caps of each wheel

Just did the easy flex today on my 40+5 no issues at all quite simple about 5 hours.

Mike

Comphill and my brother in law installed the kit in about 4 hours. Big thanks for this thread. My old parts were hammered! All the bolts had heavy wear, almost all shackles were ovaled and a few cracked. It was time!

Now I get to do tires... My Transmasters are separating, but at least I got 5 years out of them.

Thanks to all that have provided input to this topic. I just installed my Ez-Flex this weekend. I will go for a test run this week, but so far I'm happy with the install of the kit. It took me 3 hours for the first side and about 2 hours for the second side. Overall, it took me two days because I packed the wheel bearings and painted the frame while the wheels were off. An all in one project!!

I purchased the K71-656-00 for my Triple axle, '05 Weekend Warrior LE3305. My main question that I had with the equilizers, was the difference in bolt hole paterns between the two sets. One set of equilizers had the same triangle bolt patern as the OEM, and the second set has one straight arm. So, I called up the Engineers at Dexter axle.

post-10317-1295240731.jpg

The Equilizer with the one straight arm, has an arrow that needs to point forward. This equilizer, per the Engineer, must be between the 1st and 2nd axle. Reasonong: Do to the flexing design of the equilizer, each spring MUST have one stable mounting position. The 1st and 3rd axle have the hangers, but the 2nd axle mounts to the other two springs. Removing the one shakle on the leading mount of the spring, and mounting the spring to the equilizer accomplishes this stable mounting position. Otherwise, the 2nd axle would litteraly "float" in between. The way he explained it made since. In the few forums that I have read on the Ez-flex kit, I have not heard on where this goes and I have not seen any desent pictures with this easily defined. So that is why I am bringing it up.

Old equilizers and shackles.

post-10317-1295240762_thumb.jpg

This shows the equilizer between axle 1 and 2 with the straight arm as the leading mount to the 2nd axle. Front of the trailer is to the Right.

post-10317-1295240925_thumb.jpg

Notice the leading edge. Front of trailer is to the Right.

post-10317-1295240970_thumb.jpg

Finished install on the right side with the frame painted.

post-10317-1295241043_thumb.jpg

Thanks again to all for the awsome input. Hope this may also clearify questions for those that will be attempting the install in the future.

^^ you have that correct sir. ive always wondered how the center axle on alot of triple setups that i see isnt just bouncing and floating all over the place seeing as its not held in location. my trailer originally had the fixed type front equalizer so its no different with the ez-flex kit installed. bolted right up

Guest easyrider470

MONGO, what paint did you use for the frame rail? I assume you didn't scuff sand it or anything, and i'm sure you didn't remove the surface rust prior to painting. I was wanting to do the same thing when I do my wheel bearings this off season so please let me know what you used. THANKS.

MONGO, what paint did you use for the frame rail? I assume you didn't scuff sand it or anything, and i'm sure you didn't remove the surface rust prior to painting. I was wanting to do the same thing when I do my wheel bearings this off season so please let me know what you used. THANKS.

I did use a wire wheel on a grinder to remove the surface rust and scuff up the old paint for better contact. I then used the Ace Hardware brand of "Rustoleum" black paint with a disposable brush. Was very quick and easy.

Thanks to all that have provided input to this topic. I just installed my Ez-Flex this weekend. I will go for a test run this week, but so far I'm happy with the install of the kit. It took me 3 hours for the first side and about 2 hours for the second side. Overall, it took me two days because I packed the wheel bearings and painted the frame while the wheels were off. An all in one project!!

I purchased the K71-656-00 for my Triple axle, '05 Weekend Warrior LE3305. My main question that I had with the equilizers, was the difference in bolt hole paterns between the two sets. One set of equilizers had the same triangle bolt patern as the OEM, and the second set has one straight arm. So, I called up the Engineers at Dexter axle.

The Equilizer with the one straight arm, has an arrow that needs to point forward. This equilizer, per the Engineer, must be between the 1st and 2nd axle. Reasonong: Do to the flexing design of the equilizer, each spring MUST have one stable mounting position. The 1st and 3rd axle have the hangers, but the 2nd axle mounts to the other two springs. Removing the one shakle on the leading mount of the spring, and mounting the spring to the equilizer accomplishes this stable mounting position. Otherwise, the 2nd axle would litteraly "float" in between. The way he explained it made since. In the few forums that I have read on the Ez-flex kit, I have not heard on where this goes and I have not seen any desent pictures with this easily defined. So that is why I am bringing it up.

Old equilizers and shackles.

post-10317-1295240762_thumb.jpg

Thanks again to all for the awsome input. Hope this may also clearify questions for those that will be attempting the install in the future.

This is the same setup I have on my trailer. Did you have this same equalizer in between both axles? I was wondering if they had the correct E-Z Flex for it. It appears that I need the K71-657-00 kit for mine though.

So can you guys either post or PM me where you got your kits and how much? The cheapest I have found so far is $437 and I know someone said they paid $300 + tax.

Thanks for all the information, I just replaced my shackles and bolts today and found out that my equalizers are worn out where they mount to the frame. Not looking forward to having to do this all over again, oh well.

Nobody knows where to get a good price?

I got mine direct from dexter's website. By far it was the cheapest price I could find at the time. 3 axle for just over $300 shipped if I remember correctly.

Bump for great info. I will be doing these mods when it cools down here in Hell, i mean AZ.

So I am confused, sjseng said above that the kit he ordered was for 33" center to centers.

My trailer looks to be measuring for 35" center to center kit.

I figured all of the Warrior 5ers would be the same?

Not sure what kit to order now.

Guest easyrider470

not all the warriors are the same...depends on what axles you have. Mine were spaced closer to 35 also....it's just a larger axle load rating that gets them further apart. The DEXTER website has the best price so give them a call and they will help you get the correct kit.

I just got done doing the wheel bearings so I measured with the wheels off. I get 35" exactly between centers. So I know what kit I need.

I also saw the tag on my axle and it says I have 6000lb axles. So you are right easyrider, I thought I had 5200lb axles. So I am assuming those would be 33" apart.

I am good to go. Going to order the kit today. :sraptor:

Guest easyrider470

The reason I knew is because I did the exact same thing! HAHA i though i had closer axles also...turned out i had the 6K axles as well. The folks at Dexters ordering line are great and they don't screw around with pricing....I couldn't beat the price they show on their website ANYWHERE on the internet.

Hey easyrider, are the zerk fittings press in or screw in? I don't want any to blow out like they have on my current setup.

Thanks for the help, I ordered my kit tonight.

if i recall, they are screw in zerk fittings. but, that was a few yrs ago now so i cant remember for sure

I installed the EZ-Flex on my trailer and had to take it off. I called the company and told them I was having trouble with the rubber bushing. They told me they had a bad shipment of rubber. They couldn't tell me from the numbers on the box if mine was part of the bad order. They ended telling me to go to the place I purchased them from and work it out with them on getting a new set. My trailer lowered amount 2 inches with the bad rubber. I ended just taking them off and going another route.

Good Luck. Seems like it would be a good ideal if the rubber wasn't bad.

I have heard that also about the rubber on another forum. Seems like also that with the 33" kit, the rubber seems to wear faster.

I got the 35" kit and haven't read about anything wrong with that.

We shall see.

ive heard about the a few peeps having issues with the rubber bushings. cracking/splitting badly and such. i just checked mine again this weekend and the rubbers still look very similar to the day they were installed and working great. i have the 35" kit

I installed the EZ-Flex on my trailer and had to take it off. I called the company and told them I was having trouble with the rubber bushing. They told me they had a bad shipment of rubber. They couldn't tell me from the numbers on the box if mine was part of the bad order. They ended telling me to go to the place I purchased them from and work it out with them on getting a new set. My trailer lowered amount 2 inches with the bad rubber. I ended just taking them off and going another route.

Good Luck. Seems like it would be a good ideal if the rubber wasn't bad.

their website says 2 year warranty, I dont know how long it has been but it may be worth looking into.

I will find out what i have when I tear into my triple axle Dunes trailer next weekend.

thanks for all the info,

dan

Hey easyrider, are the zerk fittings press in or screw in? I don't want any to blow out like they have on my current setup.

Thanks for the help, I ordered my kit tonight.

I can confirm 100% that they are screw in.