Chuckee

Polishing Tranny Gears

I just got my new car going. It has a big engine and runs great. But I run out of gear in 4th really quickly. I have a Mendeola S4D. So I pulled the tranny and am having a 5th gear installed. I was asked if I wanted to have the gears and ring and pinion polished. The gears end up looking almost chromed and it gets rid of all the sharp edges. I was told the tranny runs anywhere from 20 to 30 degrees cooler and makes the tranny last longer.

Has anyone done this? and what did you think?

Thanks,

Chuckee

little shot peen, little liquid nitro...

I dont know if I would go as far to say you will reduce run temps by 20-30 but it will reduce gear noise some and it will reduce the amount of metal in the oil during break in. We do this on the drag race transmissions for the HD and it is a nice upgrade for a pure drag racing application. I do not think you can say that it will last longer either. Very tough claim to prove. Is there an upside to this, like an extended warranty period??

The gears in a trans will mate in very quickly, just because you polish a gear does not 100% make that a 100% match for the sister gear . I guess if the cost is not much than go for it.

Fortin polishes all of their gears, so obviously they believe it makes a difference. Also look into cryogenically treating the gears. I've heard a lot of positive feedback on that, it allegedly helps with longevity.

little shot peen, little liquid nitro...

Exactly what I've done to get SE-R transmissions to live with 400lb-ft of torque. Works great.

A good shotpeen will give the gears a satiny finish. Do the cryo first, then the shot.

yep yep lookin at both as we speak....first the ndt testing...

Now cryo I will get behind we have used it and found that it does make a difference if used in the right set up. Just send the stuff to Power play he will get you the right stuff!!

I just got my new car going. It has a big engine and runs great. But I run out of gear in 4th really quickly. I have a Mendeola S4D. So I pulled the tranny and am having a 5th gear installed. I was asked if I wanted to have the gears and ring and pinion polished. The gears end up looking almost chromed and it gets rid of all the sharp edges. I was told the tranny runs anywhere from 20 to 30 degrees cooler and makes the tranny last longer.

Has anyone done this? and what did you think?

Thanks,

Chuckee

This is a great Idea we offer this on the race car boxes.

give me a call and I'll tell you more about REM finishing & I love to discuss your S4D

post-18959-1258054073_thumb.jpg

post-18959-1258054184_thumb.jpg

post-18959-1258054277_thumb.jpg

Part of the reason they suggested me doing it is because we are probable going to run it in a couple of off road races that are 250 to 300 miles long. Danzio swears by it and Ricky at The Wright Gearbox just finished having it done on their Albins and suggested it for mine. It's really not super expensive.

Part of the reason they suggested me doing it is because we are probable going to run it in a couple of off road races that are 250 to 300 miles long. Danzio swears by it and Ricky at The Wright Gearbox just finished having it done on their Albins and suggested it for mine. It's really not super expensive.

Yes, it is affordable.

Make sure they tape off bearing journals,ring gear mounting surfaces, splined shafts, and do all dog rings and face plates and hubs.

I didn't know you could add a 5th gear to a 2d. What's the cost of parts and labor?

I didn't know you could add a 5th gear to a 2d. What's the cost of parts and labor?

He has a S4 not a 2D

All of our gears in our trans and cv's have been polished by Mario..(909) 230 2398. He polishes for Dave Folts Trans and some others...He polishes thousands of cv's. After having all of our gears polished on our last tranny build, there has been no propblems with the tranny in three years thanks to the pheonomenal workmanship of Dave Folts, and our polished gears. example: before polish...tranny every year. After polish still going strong after 3 years.

All of our gears in our trans and cv's have been polished by Mario..(909) 230 2398. He polishes for Dave Folts Trans and some others...He polishes thousands of cv's. After having all of our gears polished on our last tranny build, there has been no propblems with the tranny in three years thanks to the pheonomenal workmanship of Dave Folts, and our polished gears. example: before polish...tranny every year. After polish still going strong after 3 years.

thanks for the info. This makes me feel better about my decision to have it done.