Critchy

Extreme U-joint Axles Vs. Jess's U-joint Axles

OK so I am doing a comparison between Extreme's u-joint axles and Jess's extreme axles. I had a pair of Jess's before and they didn't work out, they actually pulled the flange out of the trans. I ran them for a whole season and didn't have a problem till the last trip. I also never greased them, obviously my fault for poor maintenance. So I switched to regular axles and CV's. I have been running these for about a year and break a CV every other trip if not sooner. It's just getting expensive. I have tried just about everything to stop this and nothing is working. Now when I had Jess's axles everybody was having problems with them. But it seemed like nobody had problems with the Extreme's. All the extreme guys still swear by them. So I am considering trying these out.

So my question, is there anybody out there who has had the extreme's and had any problems what so ever? Even minor problems. Also does anybody know how many splines were on Jess's axles vs. how many splines are on Extreme's axles? Thanks.

Critchy

OK so I am doing a comparison between Extreme's u-joint axles and Jess's extreme axles. I had a pair of Jess's before and they didn't work out, they actually pulled the flange out of the trans. I ran them for a whole season and didn't have a problem till the last trip. I also never greased them, obviously my fault for poor maintenance. So I switched to regular axles and CV's. I have been running these for about a year and break a CV every other trip if not sooner. It's just getting expensive. I have tried just about everything to stop this and nothing is working. Now when I had Jess's axles everybody was having problems with them. But it seemed like nobody had problems with the Extreme's. All the extreme guys still swear by them. So I am considering trying these out.

So my question, is there anybody out there who has had the extreme's and had any problems what so ever? Even minor problems. Also does anybody know how many splines were on Jess's axles vs. how many splines are on Extreme's axles? Thanks.

Critchy

If your breaking cv's the problem is your set up on the car not the cv. Has someone else looked at the car?

What's your axle angle at full droop? If it's more than 22'ish degrees can you tighten up your limiting straps?

Are the axles swept back at all?

SoCalDmax had an issue with the East County shafts. I forget what.

Axle's are with the proper amount of degrees, correct length, and plenty of plunge. I have checked all of the stuff numerous times and checked lots of other stuff. From talking to some people that have the same frame, this car frame just breaks CV's. No idea why.

Axle's are with the proper amount of degrees, correct length, and plenty of plunge. I have checked all of the stuff numerous times and checked lots of other stuff. From talking to some people that have the same frame, this car frame just breaks CV's. No idea why.

Keep looking. Its not magic something is not right and until you find out what it is throwing more parts at it is going to be very expensive.

What kind of car is it? Do you have some pictures of the rear arms and axles?

My buddy just went through the same thing,everything looked fine. He took it to out front motor sports & they did find a couple of things that needed to be corrected. Getting a second set of eye's to look at it would'nt be a bad idea.

Keep looking. Its not magic something is not right and until you find out what it is throwing more parts at it is going to be very expensive.

What kind of car is it? Do you have some pictures of the rear arms and axles?

X2 I'm on my 4th year with a long travel, and I have yet to break a CV. (knock on wood)

I had a set of jesses axles and they didnt plunge and shoved the rear trailing arm out and broke the mounts off the frame, bent the 7/8 bolts holding the arms and pulled the bolt out of the mount. Oh and that was the first trip out to the dunes, didnt have an hour on them. I went back to 934's and havent had them apart in 2 years sence. U have to have something wrong to be breaking cv's like that. My car is a Mosebilt, 27" travel and 700 hp.

post-10706-1259633543.jpg

post-10706-1259633556_thumb.jpg

What brand cv's are you buying?

I agree with the rest.. If all the angles and lengths are right you shouldn't be popping CV's... no matter what car it is, even a joyner.

I am having the same problem with my cv's... 934's ...went through 2 on Halloween and 1 Thanksgiving weekend...

Running 35.5 stu... 26 degrees max on the angle after stretch... I had 20 lb air in the tires... but had a hard 1st gear start from a stop and when I hit second it popped.. lat time was running the hill 3rd gear floored and earlier that day was from a little side hill jump that busted the cage.. maybe I am not setting it correctly but I have had 4 or 5 ppl look at it and it looks fine with dbl limiting straps... going to put new axle and new cv's and start over... 2 cv's were chromoly and the last cv was a supposed 300m cage

Capt

A good two seasons on my car so far with extreme axles and all is fine. LS1/2D. I pull apart and check during the summer and five pumps of grease before each trip.

Stay away from both u joint type they are proven crap. You will spend alot more money until you fix the geometry problem. Take it to a real pro shop and just have a guy look at it. They can see it in a heartbeat. then go from there.

Is the centerline of the trans forward of the centerline of the hubs creating a compound angle. With the proper total angle and good cvs they should not be breaking. Sounds like a good shop looking at it will be cheaper in the long run. :dunno:

Stay away from both u joint type they are proven crap. You will spend alot more money until you fix the geometry problem. Take it to a real pro shop and just have a guy look at it. They can see it in a heartbeat. then go from there.

Not everyone has problems with these type of axles!!!! My car has back angle and travel angles to deal with. CV will and did not work on my car unless I tighten up the limit straps and lose 3" of travel. I'm on my 4th season running EXTREME axles with NO PROBLEMS!!! Got 3" of additional travel,,, 450hp Ls1, 2300lb car, Mindi. I run the BIG ones. My buddy with a turbo acura ,wicked,,,, he has the smaller EXTREMES,, NO PROBLEMS ,,3 SEASONS..

If you decide to go with u-joint axles ,,go extreme, Contact them, they will ask you for some exact measurements, from both right and left side, info about your power and tranny

and plunge amount through full suspention cycle. They did a great job for me and my Buddy.. 2c

Edited by Quadrockets

A good two seasons on my car so far with extreme axles and all is fine. LS1/2D. I pull apart and check during the summer and five pumps of grease before each trip.

4th season on mine WITH NO MAINTANCE!! I worked directly with Extreme, they told me NO maintance needed?!?! BUT,,,before every season I remove one end ( from tranny side) and check plunge. So far every time, checks out fine?!?!? easy, smooth full plunge. 2c

Blu by U said it all. 700 HP. Bottom line is what horse power are you running? stay in the 400s and all is ok. Go big HP with lots of travle and forget it. I have ran extremes in my two last cars and have had no problems. keep eveything tight and lubed either way.

I appreciate everbodys input about my CV angle's and what not. But I have checked the CV's. I am trying to find out if guys with extreme's are working better than jess's. I'm not trying to figure out how to get my CV's to work. Thanks.

3 yrs no problems with my extreme axles. running them with 450 hp 2300lbs car. onloy difference is my car is rear a-arm so my axles have little to no plunge throughout the entire suspension cycle