Sign in to follow this  
njcustom

No Compression After Head Gasket Replace, Need Help

hi everyone, having a bit of trouble as i replaced my head gasket and now i have no compression. im pretty sure i got everything lined up right with the cam gear "O" and notch along with the "T" lined up on the magneto.. now im just lost and confused.. can anyone help?

If timing is correct then it is valve adjustment or bent valves.

Edited by tsanchez

hi everyone, having a bit of trouble as i replaced my head gasket and now i have no compression. im pretty sure i got everything lined up right with the cam gear "O" and notch along with the "T" lined up on the magneto.. now im just lost and confused.. can anyone help?

it ran fine before i replaced the head gasket.. this is why i doubt its a valve issue

it ran fine before i replaced the head gasket.. this is why i doubt its a valve issue

is it possible the rings spun and im losing compression there?.. i cant understand why it wont get compression when it was fine before the new gaskets

is it possible the rings spun and im losing compression there?.. i cant understand why it wont get compression when it was fine before the new gaskets

if it ran fine before the new head gasket, why would you replace it?? I would check my cam timing and valve lash one more time. You should still have compression even if your rings rotated some. Proper torque on the head bolts? Are you checking it with a compression tester, or will it just not start and "feels" like it has no compression???

Edited by krustyone

sorry for being so unexplanitory.. here we go.. before it ran fine as far as compression but 1 day the gasket went bad,, i ment the compression should still be there sinse it was only a gasket needing replacement, after gasket went it ran but not on throttlle only idle.... the valves werent touched at all.. the head was removed like normal.. i set the cam gear and chain with the proper notchs and the magneto with gthe proper notch.. i litely cleaned the inside of the head and valves with a lite wire brush but i mean litely cleaned and sprayed bake cleaner on them to remove the loose junk.. im so lost because im good with these kinda things but im just stumpt and would love anyones feedback.. thanks guys

also when i turn the magneto and stick my finger in the spark plug hole i get nothing.. i did the same thing omy other atc and wow! lots of compression.. however i did a compression test just a few months ago on both atc's and they were both about the same psi maybe off a hair or 2 but relatively close

Edited by njcustom

Beep beep beep back up the effing truck............Look it over again while I do not have a clue what is wrong I am willing to bet that something was put back together wrong. It's probaly alot simpler than you think and you are over anyalizing this. Take it down to the head gasket again and look it over you will see it it will be one of thoose Doh moments lol.

Beep beep beep back up the effing truck............Look it over again while I do not have a clue what is wrong I am willing to bet that something was put back together wrong. It's probaly alot simpler than you think and you are over anyalizing this. Take it down to the head gasket again and look it over you will see it it will be one of thoose Doh moments lol.

as we speek.. and god i hope your right.. im starting to lose it over here lol

Just because it on the T doesnt mean its a TDC, Pull the plug and make sure the piston is all the way up when on the T

Just because it on the T doesnt mean its a TDC, Pull the plug and make sure the piston is all the way up when on the T

tryed it both ways, nothing

T on fly wheel does mean it's on TDC, the cam can be installed 180 deg. out. If it was running bad before you pulled it apart how do you know it was just the head gasket that was bad? Are you sure the rings are good because if you didn't pull the cylinder there is no way the could have moved from just pulling the head off.

T on fly wheel does mean it's on TDC, the cam can be installed 180 deg. out. If it was running bad before you pulled it apart how do you know it was just the head gasket that was bad? Are you sure the rings are good because if you didn't pull the cylinder there is no way the could have moved from just pulling the head off.

it ran fine before but 1 day the head gasket went and it would only idle

i sealed and put some air pressure around the head of course after i removed it to see if the valves were leaking and i hear air come out of the intake port.. now im guessing the valve is leaking but i only litely cleaned it before i re-installed it.. is it possible i messed up the valve seat when cleaing with a small brass wire brush?

could the valves be leaking now that i cleaned them with a lite copper brush. they were original valves with lots of gunk

What leads you to the conclusion that the head gasket failed?? Is it possible that something else happened and you misdiagnosed a head gasket? Maybe something else was wrong. ???

What leads you to the conclusion that the head gasket failed?? Is it possible that something else happened and you misdiagnosed a head gasket? Maybe something else was wrong. ???

when the gasket went it was only idling but i seen bubbles coming from the gasket

so what went wrong? did you ever find oout how the valve bent? had to be the timing was off and the piston bent it. did you get it fixed now?