450 Yamaha Fat Paddle big wheel camp bike

Posted (edited)

2012 YZ450F fuel injected. 54 HP. So fun. I have duned every vehicle out there and it is quite unique. Only 1.4 gallon tank so the fun won't last long.  Need to add my Scotts steering stabilizer and a new flag mount further back. Started at 5 psi in the tires and went to 3.5. Works much better. Might try 3psi next season. Camp bike!

20210428_120140.jpg

20210428_120120.jpg

20210428_120109.jpg

20210426_165103.jpg

20210426_165049.jpg

20210426_165115.jpg

Edited by onanysunday
  • onanysunday changed the title to 450 Yamaha Fat Paddle big wheel camp bike
2 minutes ago, Hi turtle said:

That's cool.  Who did the conversion?  How does it handle compared to regular bike?

Virgin sand first trip out so it was really easy to ride. Got into some ruts at the bottom of a bowl that wasn't blown smooth and it does want to pull the bike back and forth. But that was also with higher tire pressure. Awesome how well is side hills with the big tires on it. Need to get more time on it. I put maybe 20-25 mi on it first trip. XFR in Utah did the conversion. This was actually his mule bike for his kits. He has sold about 60 of them.

Just now, onanysunday said:

Virgin sand first trip out so it was really easy to ride. Got into some ruts at the bottom of a bowl that wasn't blown smooth and it does want to pull the bike back and forth. But that was also with higher tire pressure. Awesome how well is side hills with the big tires on it. Need to get more time on it. I put maybe 20-25 mi on it first trip. XFR in Utah did the conversion. This was actually his mule bike for his kits. He has sold about 60 of them.

This kit?

https://xfrproatv.com/big-wheel-kits/

Seems like a nice kit to get the fat tires on.  I like it!

3 minutes ago, Hi turtle said:

This kit?

https://xfrproatv.com/big-wheel-kits/

Seems like a nice kit to get the fat tires on.  I like it!

Yep that's it. We posted at the same time. They have different kits for different years of the yz450f. There is also another company back East that builds them for Hondas. $1,000 more for their kit.

6 minutes ago, onanysunday said:

Yep that's it. We posted at the same time. They have different kits for different years of the yz450f. There is also another company back East that builds them for Hondas. $1,000 more for their kit.

Definitely looks like a fun ride.  I haven't seen one out in glamis yet.  You might be the first guy!

I wonder if going to a different front tire with the knobbies might help make it track better in the ruts?

31 minutes ago, Hi turtle said:

I wonder if going to a different front tire with the knobbies might help make it track better in the ruts?

I agree. Something without the rib. Might just be trying that. Maybe a Bighorn 2.0

12 minutes ago, onanysunday said:

I agree. Something without the rib. Might just be trying that. Maybe a Bighorn 2.0

I think experimenting with your tire selection will make it track better, especially once the season starts and there's nothing but ruts. 

Keep on posting about your fat tire yz.  It's cool!

• Like 1