Sign in to follow this  
bigjohnt

Rzr Short Bed Ford

Will a 2010 50 " RZR fit in the short bed of a 05 F250 ? Need to pick one up and it looks like from the numbers on the net it wont fit in the bed. I heard if it sits on the tail gate it will bend it ? Need some help thanks

Will a 2010 50 " RZR fit in the short bed of a 05 F250 ? Need to pick one up and it looks like from the numbers on the net it wont fit in the bed. I heard if it sits on the tail gate it will bend it ? Need some help thanks

It will fit using the tailgate, but I suggest putting some 8 foot 2 x 8's under the wheels.

I saw one broken tailgate (Broke the hinge cups), and the RZR was hanging from the tiedowns.

Not to mention the dented up tailgate if the tailgate cables break.

Are you speaking from experince ?

Not personal experience, but I have read of a few instances where that is exactly what happened (even on near new trucks).

I have been putting my Rhino in the back of a short bed F250 for 3 years with no problems. The majority of the rear wheels are in the bed of the truck, not the tailgate so you will be fine. If the razor is any shorter than a rhino, the wheels will be all the way in the bed, if the same length, then it will only slightly be on the bed with minimum weight on the hinges. Just be sure to pull it all the way up and tie it down good

You can do it, but I recommend against it. I did that for 4 trips to the river about three years ago, and bent the tailgate with two depressions where the tires sit on my 2007 short bed. (It's under the plastic bedliner, you can't see it unless you look... but it's there) The strain of 500 +/- pounds on the tailgate made the cables guitar-string tight, and it's pretty clear this will eventually snap either the cups of the tailgate hinges or the holes where the cables bolt into the bedframe, especially if you hit ruts, bumps or anything else along the way. It might work for a while, but it's a LOT of money to fix when it does finally give out.

Using an 18" hitch extender you can get from any hitch shop, I had a friend's shop fab a frame that goes over the tailgate, placing the weight on the rear of the bed and onto the hitch extender. A collar-shaped frame fits over the top of the extender, and a hitch pin holds it together. Using this, I had the Rhino in the bed while towing my boat to the river countless times, never an issue. (I also have a class 5 receiver and the MANDATORY airbags for this set up.) works like a charm, cost about 300 bucks total (MUCH less if you can fab it up yourself).

The other issue is bending the front of the cargo box when the RZR is pushed against it when some a-hole cuts you off on the highway and you hit the brakes. I used a 2x2 piece of angle iron cut to the width of the bedrail and bolted it to the bedrail under the bedliner. This helps keep the box from bowing in towards the cab.

The places I tie the rig down include a long strap from the left box tie down, brought around the rear wheel, one wrap around the hitch on the rhino, and back to the other side. A second heavy strap from the rear tie down over the rear of the rhino (Through the 4-seat cage) to the other side (this keeps it from wallowing in turns). Remember, if you get in a crash with this in the bed it will probably try and come through the rear of the cab, so the final ones are attached to the hitch and run over the tailgate extender to the underside of the rhino to try and keep it from moving forward. (I dunno how well this will work in a crash, but it's better than nothing.. and keeps the strain off the front of the cargo box)

Good luck and have fun!

anyone interested in a ramp system that will put the front tires of the rzr up near the top of the cab and the back tires inside the tail gate. Send me a pm I will send you a pic. Going into manufacturing, setting up now.

Just use your factory jack from your truck to jack up the rear of the RZR before tying it down thus for putting the weight of the RZR in the bed not the Tailgate the tires would still be sitting on the tailgate but you would have eliminated most all the weight off of the tailgate!!!!

Thanks for all of the input. I was trying not to take a empty trailer up to Idaho . But I think it would be safer.