Sign in to follow this  
fatheroftwins

Shaking When Letting The Clutch Out In 1st Gear

I have 3.5 with an 091 tranny. I just finally got to drive it (well take from shop to front yard). When I am letting the clutch out to move forward it has a shake. This might sound dumb but am I in 3rd gear??? I messed with shifter and it seems like it is in 1st. I have the hurst style shifter and also I couldn't get it into reverse. Reverse is over and down right???

what clutch and pressure plate you running?

Sorry Stage 3 and 4 puck racing

Probably just clutch chatter then. It gets worse with heat, but that's the tradeoff for more holding power.

Probably just clutch chatter then. It gets worse with heat, but that's the tradeoff for more holding power.

Any way to help this or fix it? Will I notice it when stomping on it?

I have 3.5 with an 091 tranny. I just finally got to drive it (well take from shop to front yard). When I am letting the clutch out to move forward it has a shake. This might sound dumb but am I in 3rd gear??? I messed with shifter and it seems like it is in 1st. I have the hurst style shifter and also I couldn't get it into reverse. Reverse is over and down right???NO

You are correct you are in 3rd.adjust your shifter

remove linkage @trans, in neutral rotate the shift shaft counter clockwise all the way and pull the shaft out.( do this with vise grips)

this will be reverse confirm by starting car and releasing clutch you should move in the backwards direction.

if this is right then next take your shifter and shift it to the reverse position, left and down by pushing the lock out button or whatever contraption it has to make it not possible to go into reverse while moving forward.

now reattach the linkage to transaxle by lining up the holes in linkage and shift shaft.

see if you can now get 1st with engine running(always shift the tranny with engine running)

from here you can fine tune the forward gears positions by moving the shifter slightly left to right forward or back toward which ever gear is giving you problems. :mes:

mine does the same thing, but I only notice it on take off.

I have 3.5 with an 091 tranny. I just finally got to drive it (well take from shop to front yard). When I am letting the clutch out to move forward it has a shake. This might sound dumb but am I in 3rd gear??? I messed with shifter and it seems like it is in 1st. I have the hurst style shifter and also I couldn't get it into reverse. Reverse is over and down right???NO

remove linkage @trans, in neutral rotate the shift shaft counter clockwise all the way and pull the shaft out.( do this with vise grips)

this will be reverse confirm by starting car and releasing clutch you should move in the backwards direction.

if this is right then next take your shifter and shift it to the reverse position, left and down by pushing the lock out button or whatever contraption it has to make it not possible to go into reverse while moving forward.

now reattach the linkage to transaxle by lining up the holes in linkage and shift shaft.

see if you can now get 1st with engine running(always shift the tranny with engine running)

from here you can fine tune the forward gears positions by moving the shifter slightly left to right forward or back toward which ever gear is giving you problems. :mes:

Thank you, that's what I thought!! That is some good info....

Thank you, that's what I thought!! That is some good info....

your welcome

The 4 puck in my old car was very "grabby" when on a harder surface. When in the sand it wasn't noticeable.

Only way to "fix" it is to go to a sprung hub or more pucks/no pucks, but this compromises holding power. If it's just in the sand, you won't notice it much, just make sure to rev match your downshifts.

The chatter can also come from a missing pilot shaft bearing or bushing BUT I'd guess you are in third. Follow Ian's instructions while the car is on jackstands and don't let it hit the ground until the reverse lockout works perfect. It will save a lot of reverse problems later.

Edited by donson

I have 3.5 with an 091 tranny. I just finally got to drive it (well take from shop to front yard). When I am letting the clutch out to move forward it has a shake. This might sound dumb but am I in 3rd gear??? I messed with shifter and it seems like it is in 1st. I have the hurst style shifter and also I couldn't get it into reverse. Reverse is over and down right???

hi i think i know whats wrong

there has to be one inch bow in the rubber tube called a bowden tube rubber tube runs from the metal tube cable goes through to the bracket mounted to the trans side plate it is a must

I'm sure he's running a hydraulic clutch.

there has to be one inch bow in the rubber tube called a bowden tube rubber tube runs from the metal tube cable goes through to the bracket mounted to the trans side plate it is a must

good call.

Yes I am running a hydraulic clutch.

I got the reverse part figured out but it seems like it is still in 3rd. Ok when I think I am in first, I was sitting in the car last night and 3rd was hard to get into but my old car with an 002 was also? When I readjusted the linkage I turned all the way counter clockwise.

One other thing I am on pavement, the car hasn't been on the sand yet, could that be part of it?

I got the reverse part figured out but it seems like it is still in 3rd. Ok when I think I am in first, I was sitting in the car last night and 3rd was hard to get into but my old car with an 002 was also?the car needs to be running. if this is so in both cases maybe it is outside of the gearbox,shifter,linkage,clutch slave. When I readjusted the linkage I turned all the way counter clockwise.correct that would be reverse

One other thing I am on pavement, the car hasn't been on the sand yet, could that be part of it?it mite need break in time call kennedy eng.Phone# (661) 272-1147

I got the reverse part figured out but it seems like it is still in 3rd. Ok when I think I am in first, I was sitting in the car last night and 3rd was hard to get into but my old car with an 002 was also?the car needs to be running. if this is so in both cases maybe it is outside of the gearbox,shifter,linkage,clutch slave. When I readjusted the linkage I turned all the way counter clockwise.correct that would be reverse

One other thing I am on pavement, the car hasn't been on the sand yet, could that be part of it?it mite need break in time call kennedy eng.Phone# (661) 272-1147

When I get a raise I will be calling you for a Mendeola.... I am taking it out on its maiden voyage in less than 2 weeks and I dont have any gravel roads to test it on close. IS 3rd hard to get into?

When I get a raise I will be calling you for a Mendeola.... I am taking it out on its maiden voyage in less than 2 weeks and I dont have any gravel roads to test it on close. IS 3rd hard to get into?

It should not be that way.