Jump to content

Tunes for my Gayzor


BaBaBouy
 Share

Recommended Posts

I’m looking to put tunes in my 2018 XP4. I currently have a rugged radio car to car set up. Is it better to have some sort of sound bar setup that can plug into the aux port on the radio? Would something like that allow you to move the sound from the headphone to the sound bar during beverage stops? Is some kind of phone app (Pandora) the best source for music or just do an IPod thingy because the phone is too much of a hassle? Budget is probably under $3K.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, South Bay said:

 

Probably out on a dune run, listening to their tunes as they rip a few bowls  . . .

What the, why I oughta…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, South Bay said:

 

Probably out on a dune run, listening to their tunes as they rip a few bowls  . . .

A literal few on the way to Sunset, then 200dB shitty music for the next 2 hours. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, BaBaBouy said:

I’m looking to put tunes in my 2018 XP4. I currently have a rugged radio car to car set up. Is it better to have some sort of sound bar setup that can plug into the aux port on the radio? Would something like that allow you to move the sound from the headphone to the sound bar during beverage stops? Is some kind of phone app (Pandora) the best source for music or just do an IPod thingy because the phone is too much of a hassle? Budget is probably under $3K.

It really depends on how much you like music as to what you should get. Sound bars are easy but don’t carry much bass. I don’t mean slamming bass I mean full rich sound of music. Sound bars are mostly full of tweeters and small mid range speakers. Cheapest and cleanest way to go in my eyes is a real good pair of 6x9’s in cage mounted pods. Run this from a decent amp, use a dash mounted volume knob, and ran by your phone. Super simple, easy, and clean install that won’t break the bank. If I was to guess I would say $500-$600 in parts could get you jammin. You could do the install yourself as there isn’t much needed.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes. Budget dictates everything,  under $1000 a good soundbar or my preference, a set of universal pods and Bluetooth device that fits your needs with a quality marine micro amp 

 

With your healthy $3000 budget, you can get into a generation 2 fosgate stage 5 (plenty of thumping bass) but no light show (generation 3 added light up speakers and $1500 in costs) 

 

if you want to be somewhere in the middle, $1500-2500 you can put something together 3-5 speakers (both would include a subwoofer that occupies, replaces your glovebox) but as mentioned earlier, gives you the low end bass that soundbars can’t produce. 
 

it’s all personal preference I’m more than happy to help in any way I can, from giving you model numbers and pricing to build your own setup to giving out my cell to assist you with an install if you like to DIY 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Intro2Rhino said:

Yes. Budget dictates everything,  under $1000 a good soundbar or my preference, a set of universal pods and Bluetooth device that fits your needs with a quality marine micro amp 

 

With your healthy $3000 budget, you can get into a generation 2 fosgate stage 5 (plenty of thumping bass) but no light show (generation 3 added light up speakers and $1500 in costs) 

 

if you want to be somewhere in the middle, $1500-2500 you can put something together 3-5 speakers (both would include a subwoofer that occupies, replaces your glovebox) but as mentioned earlier, gives you the low end bass that soundbars can’t produce. 
 

it’s all personal preference I’m more than happy to help in any way I can, from giving you model numbers and pricing to build your own setup to giving out my cell to assist you with an install if you like to DIY 

Thanks for the reply, very informative. How will the system work in going through headphones while driving / other speakers while parked? I’m not much on the tech shiz and don’t have much luck with using my phone for anything other than phone calls or drunk selfies, would an IPod or similar device be a consideration?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, BaBaBouy said:

Thanks for the reply, very informative. How will the system work in going through headphones while driving / other speakers while parked? I’m not much on the tech shiz and don’t have much luck with using my phone for anything other than phone calls or drunk selfies, would an IPod or similar device be a consideration?

My advise is to get a Spotify (paid account, its like Netflix you can share a few with your family and friends). Than create all the playlists you like. Over time you should have a good amount of streaming music. When you are at home or on a wi-fi connection, you can download the playlists you create to your phone and store the music as if it’s your own. The beauty here is you don’t need cell phone coverage for you to be able to stream your (their) music like free pandora Spotify Sirius / xm. 
 

deicide what you want your intercom for. I mean if you want to pair your phone with it to accept phone calls on a ride or if you are tip toeing around other campers and can’t resist the temptation to wait until you get out to crank up the tunes on a separate stand alone system, than I can see the sense in pairing your phone (music device) to your intercom. 
 

once you have a stereo system, chances are you’ll use that for your music listening over your intercom. 
 

only reason I mention it, is because you never know what your phone will pair to first (intercom or stereo) especially if you are not tech savvy, or are that guy that always leaves your Bluetooth and wi-fi settings on on your cell phone. 
 

anyhow if you have a separate stereo system like a soundbar or Rockford Fosgate setup. You will no longer listen to music though your head sets. But a good sound system will still be loud enough to be heard over your exhaust, Engine, and helmet covering your ears. 
 

highly doubtful it will drown out your wife yelling at you to slow down in your headset but that’s what volume on your intercom is for or you can simply not connect her helmet jack all the way 🤣

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Intro2Rhino said:

My advise is to get a Spotify (paid account, its like Netflix you can share a few with your family and friends). Than create all the playlists you like. Over time you should have a good amount of streaming music. When you are at home or on a wi-fi connection, you can download the playlists you create to your phone and store the music as if it’s your own. The beauty here is you don’t need cell phone coverage for you to be able to stream your (their) music like free pandora Spotify Sirius / xm. 
 

deicide what you want your intercom for. I mean if you want to pair your phone with it to accept phone calls on a ride or if you are tip toeing around other campers and can’t resist the temptation to wait until you get out to crank up the tunes on a separate stand alone system, than I can see the sense in pairing your phone (music device) to your intercom. 
 

once you have a stereo system, chances are you’ll use that for your music listening over your intercom. 
 

only reason I mention it, is because you never know what your phone will pair to first (intercom or stereo) especially if you are not tech savvy, or are that guy that always leaves your Bluetooth and wi-fi settings on on your cell phone. 
 

anyhow if you have a separate stereo system like a soundbar or Rockford Fosgate setup. You will no longer listen to music though your head sets. But a good sound system will still be loud enough to be heard over your exhaust, Engine, and helmet covering your ears. 
 

highly doubtful it will drown out your wife yelling at you to slow down in your headset but that’s what volume on your intercom is for or you can simply not connect her helmet jack all the way 🤣

Thanks again. To clarify I’m not interested in receiving phone calls while on a ride, just the opposite. I usually have my phone with me turned off, turned on when / if needed. I’m also not that interested in “sharing” my  tunes cranked up while in motion with others, would rather have them through the headset. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, BaBaBouy said:

Thanks again. To clarify I’m not interested in receiving phone calls while on a ride, just the opposite. I usually have my phone with me turned off, turned on when / if needed. I’m also not that interested in “sharing” my  tunes cranked up while in motion with others, would rather have them through the headset. 

Do you already have headsets in the car? If so, there is a stereo jack you plug your phone into to give you your tunes through your headsets. Your stereo system will NOT play through your headsets. Any sound bar or stereo system you install will only be for external play for while your driving and everyone around will hear or when your parked for everyone to hear. If you are just installing speakers in your helmet without the intercom radio, the speaker harness will have a jack you can plug your phone into for your music. Again, a stereo system you install will NOT be for your helmets. Now you need to decide how much you want to spend. If your an audiophile, you will spend $3k and have 4 pods with 6.5 speakers or 2 pods with 6.5 and a sound bar along with a glovebox delete speaker box with 1 10” sub. Only advice difference I have that’s different than above is the need for marine audio. I have never ran marine amps or speakers in anything I have owned from sand toys to boats. Car audio speakers these days that are of good quality already have composite cones and rubber surrounds same as marine speakers and at a fraction of the cost. As for the amps, unless you install them somewhere that water can be blasted on them, marine amps aren’t needed either and again are a fraction of cost. Being able to install yourself will save you a ton of money. The Rockford Fosgate packages sound good and are put together well. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

^^^^^ I agree with above. 
My stereo through the headsets while driving and then have a SSV works 2 speakers system for when we are parked. I think it was about 600 bucks. I don’t need the thumpin party music just some decent tunes while around a campfire or hanging with friends. 
 

thi is the Bluetooth controller with built in amp I used. Works great and very clean. 
 

https://www.ssvworks.com/product/universal-bluetooth-rocker-switch-audio-system-with-amplifier

Edited by cek
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cek said:

^^^^^ I agree with above. 
My stereo through the headsets while driving and then have a SSV works 2 speakers system for when we are parked. I think it was about 600 bucks. I don’t need the thumpin party music just some decent tunes while around a campfire or hanging with friends. 
 

thi is the Bluetooth controller with built in amp I used. Works great and very clean. 
 

https://www.ssvworks.com/product/universal-bluetooth-rocker-switch-audio-system-with-amplifier

This is the perfect setup for under $1000. Cage mounted pods you can hear outside of your Sxs during piss breaks or bbq’ing at camp. Not enough to disturb the peace but a great complement to an accessorized toy. 
 

I don’t agree with the car audio being just as viable as purpose built marine audio. Cost isn’t much more on marine, rather the “purpose” built is that for a reason. The linked Ssv amp/ Bluetooth unit, I stock dozens of for a reason. They are cheap ($180 retail) and effective. They can get hosed when washing your Sxs, the Bluetooth physical controller keeps your cell phone or iPod safe stored in a door bag (ever lost anything out of the removable floorboard drain plug holes? I’ve had rugged hand held radios wiggle their way through those holes). 
 

marine speakers are designed differently than a standard car speaker, they will suspend the tweeter over the woofer (cone shaped part of the speaker) the purpose is so water and sand / dust don’t get into the sleeved portion of the speaker. That will dust over time and lock up a speaker similar to a piston in a cylinder. marine will typically cost 25% more over comparable standard car audio but again, it’s purpose built. 
 

an Ssv system as mentioned would be ~$600 all Ssv product. most expensive part of Sxs sound systems is usually the enclosures. 
Ssv $180 Bluetooth controller

ssv cage mounted empty pods $270

ssv marine speaker $100

Upgrade to kicker marine speaker $150

car audio kicker speaker would be $130 in this example 
 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, BaBaBouy said:

Thanks again. To clarify I’m not interested in receiving phone calls while on a ride, just the opposite. I usually have my phone with me turned off, turned on when / if needed. I’m also not that interested in “sharing” my  tunes cranked up while in motion with others, would rather have them through the headset. 

The way to not get phone calls while on a dune run is to use an old phone with no service you can also put your phone in Airplane mode 

Here is what you have to do though with the old phone method.  At home you connect to the internet via your home wifi and that is when you download songs off the music service you pick.  They will last up to 29 days away from the WIFI  connection  on your phone.

To play thru the headset you need a connection (preferably Bluetooth) with your intercom.  You can also hard wire it in with a cord. That way you have the tunes in the head set.

When you stop you turn on the stereo thru this magical thing called a switch and now you get the tunes from your phone thru the stereo.

Get ready for the ride you flip that switch again and it's back in the head set.

I can draw you a picture if you really need it.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MWB said:

The way to not get phone calls while on a dune run is to use an old phone with no service you can also put your phone in Airplane mode 

Here is what you have to do though with the old phone method.  At home you connect to the internet via your home wifi and that is when you download songs off the music service you pick.  They will last up to 29 days away from the WIFI  connection  on your phone.

To play thru the headset you need a connection (preferably Bluetooth) with your intercom.  You can also hard wire it in with a cord. That way you have the tunes in the head set.

When you stop you turn on the stereo thru this magical thing called a switch and now you get the tunes from your phone thru the stereo.

Get ready for the ride you flip that switch again and it's back in the head set.

I can draw you a picture if you really need it.

 

Thanks Homie, I’ve always admired your ability to assist AND keep the douche vibe going. I sit in breathless anticipation for the picture.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Intro2Rhino said:

This is the perfect setup for under $1000. Cage mounted pods you can hear outside of your Sxs during piss breaks or bbq’ing at camp. Not enough to disturb the peace but a great complement to an accessorized toy. 
 

I don’t agree with the car audio being just as viable as purpose built marine audio. Cost isn’t much more on marine, rather the “purpose” built is that for a reason. The linked Ssv amp/ Bluetooth unit, I stock dozens of for a reason. They are cheap ($180 retail) and effective. They can get hosed when washing your Sxs, the Bluetooth physical controller keeps your cell phone or iPod safe stored in a door bag (ever lost anything out of the removable floorboard drain plug holes? I’ve had rugged hand held radios wiggle their way through those holes). 
 

marine speakers are designed differently than a standard car speaker, they will suspend the tweeter over the woofer (cone shaped part of the speaker) the purpose is so water and sand / dust don’t get into the sleeved portion of the speaker. That will dust over time and lock up a speaker similar to a piston in a cylinder. marine will typically cost 25% more over comparable standard car audio but again, it’s purpose built. 
 

an Ssv system as mentioned would be ~$600 all Ssv product. most expensive part of Sxs sound systems is usually the enclosures. 
Ssv $180 Bluetooth controller

ssv cage mounted empty pods $270

ssv marine speaker $100

Upgrade to kicker marine speaker $150

car audio kicker speaker would be $130 in this example 
 

 

Thanks, I’ll be giving you a call.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

Shout Box

Shout Box

You don't have permission to chat.
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...

    Important Information

    Terms of Use Privacy Policy