Sign in to follow this  
SANDSPANKER

IS THE 400EX REALLY THAT BAD?

I ALWAYS HERE ALMOST EVERYONE TALK DOWN THE 400EX THING LIKE ITS SLOW AND YOU HAVE TO DUMP TONS OF $$ INTO THEM TO MAKE THEM RACE ON PAR WITH EVEYTHING OUT THERE. I RIDE A RAPTOR BUT MY WIFE LOVES HER 400EX SHE KEEPS UP WITH ME, AND A 250R AND BANSHEES WITHOUT A PROBLEM AND ITS BONE STOCK!!!!!!!!!!! SURE HONDA CAN PROBABLY DO BETTER BUT WHEN THE 400EX CAME OUT IT WAS THE BEST THUMPER TO BUY FOR BANG FOR YOUR BUCK!!!!!!! [burnout] ANY ONE THAT DISAGREES WITH ME JUST LOOK ON PAGE 110 OF THE OCTOBER 2002 DIRT WHEELS AND JUST COUNT THE 400EX'S vs RAPTOR'S vs CANNONDALE'S vs Z400'S. THATS MY 2 CENTS ON THE HONDA TOPIC!!! [Ninja]

I bought a 400EX as my first quad. I went to Test Hill at Gordon's with my friend, who had a stock rental Banshee. He had never ridden before, and launched off the top of Test, landing on his back and knocking the wind out of himself. From the bottom of the hill, all I saw was the Banshee--standing on end.

Naturally, I took off like a bat out of hell to get up there and help him out. Alas, the 400EX, with Sand Skates, wouldn't get up that hill no matter what I did. I'd start in third and downshift to second, then first, before coming to a stop.

Now, this is the steepest part of Test Hill, 100 yards or so to the left of where most people race. And I'm no featherweight at 200 pounds. But you know what? 3 days later I had a used '96 Banshee, and I let my fiancée ride the Honda.

I think most people would agree the 400EX is a good quad. Many would say it's a very good quad. But it is down on power for experienced riders, but then so is every stock quad I have ridden, although I haven't ridden a Cannondale yet. I think most of the complaining about the 400EX stems from people KNOWING that Honda CAN do better... much better. Just my two cents.

i agree with what kg said, its more of a beginner quad when its stock, you cant really push it like other stock quads. But with a good pipe extended arms and shocks it is a fun bike to ride.

Holy shiznits did i just give a honda a compliment!

the 400 is alot different in hard pack than in sand. in the hard stuff it moves pretty good, but the sand sucks all its power pretty quick. i like mine in the pard pack, but in the sand i want more power.

Tomorrow, Honda will announce their new "industry leader) quad.

Time was when Honda was eager to please, gave you more than you'd expect at a reasonable fair price.

Now, they really hold back, and are plagued with quality issues.

Time will tell. Hope they release a steamer!!

The 400ex is a pretty good quad and for the beginner, it's the best one out there. But like king glamis said it's not for the experienced rider. We want more CC's like the rest of the manufacturers are giving out. Sense Honda won't give us a two stroke, we would like to see a 650 or something similar. Honda right now is loosing a lot of sales because they refuse to give the experienced rider what he wants, more power...Let's just hope they have seen the error of their ways and come out tomorrow with what we want to ride, or the sales will keep going to their competition.

Everybody always bad mouths Hondas, but they run & run & run & run. While my campmates are tuning & torqueing their Banshees our Hondas are still running strong.

Good point about the 400EX on hard pack. Although I love my Banshee in the sand, I prefer the Honda in the dirt (though I do have a blast with the Banshee's slik-kart handling on the wide roads).

There are some steep hill climbs at Gorman where the Banshee doesn't have the finesse to get to the top like the Honda with that torquey 4-stroke.

quote:

Originally posted by jkp:

Good point about the 400EX on hard pack. Although I love my Banshee in the sand, I prefer the Honda in the dirt (though I do have a blast with the Banshee's slik-kart handling on the wide roads).

There are some steep hill climbs at Gorman where the Banshee doesn't have the finesse to get to the top like the Honda with that torquey 4-stroke.

4000ex is the best bike ever [beer][beer][beer][beer][beer]

quote:

4000ex is the best bike ever
[beer][beer][beer][beer][beer]
[/QB]

WOW, a 4000cc engine! That thing must haul! Might be a little heavy though, not too good for jumping. [Wink][big Grin]

I was very disappointed in the power or lack of. The 400ex I rode did have a pipe but it felt really sluggish. It may handle great but for glamis, power is a large part of how well a bike does. I can see it doing great in hardpack where it's sluggish motor creates great traction though.

I agree Ben, but... I rode an EX a while back with a full-tilt wazzoo 440 kit and that thing was fast. Literally couldn't keep the front tires on the ground. But I'm sure those motor mods were pretty pricey too.

For 17 bucks, Simi Honda sells a 49 state ignition module that really peps up the 400ex.

My experience is that 400ex riders take dumb chances doing crazy manuvers trying to prove it'll out run my Raptor or friends built Banshees.

They always get beat.

The new Suzuki/Kawa 400 is selling at an unbelievable pace. I've never seen a quad sell like this,, even the Raptor.

But still,, the Banshee sells like wildfire:

The Banshee,,, it's gotta be the legend of quading.

In 15 years the only change was the frame went from urethane to polyurethane paint (except for the '03's).

Bottom line,, it's getting down to rider skill and common sense that determines the winner.

Anybody drop a motor from a CRF450 in one yet and see how it goes?

quote:

Originally posted by trailer park cassanova:

The Banshee,,, it's gotta be the legend of quading.

In 15 years the only change was the frame went from urethane to polyurethane paint (except for the '03's).

Don't forget the J-arms. Those got aced in favor of A-arms.

Well, I'm no pro by any stretch, or a light weight either. But, my 400ex does me fine, sure it could be faster, but the handling MORE than makes up for it IMHO. If all I wanted to do was hill shoot, I'd buy a Banshee. But, frankly, after I've shot a hill 3 times, I'm done.... I like move on. Manuverability and suspension will allow you to ride to the full potential of said motor.

I just dumped a huge wad into my 400ex, and didn't even touch the motor. I got new +2 a arms, +4 axle, revalved my rear shock and re-spring, and re valved my triples w/ rezzies.

I'm betting that I'll be able to ride faster/better now that I can keep the suspension and all the wheels on the ground. So, it will probably feel faster to me since I couldn't pin it with my old set-up.

In my opinion, too many people get hung up on..."What's the fastest"?? I don't care 1 bit if I'm the fastest, hell, the 400ex does 68 mph with my 210 pound body on it....that's fast enough. I just ride the damn thing and have a good time.

This is my very 1st quad, and couldn't be happier, it hauls azz, gets good milage, looks good and is bullet-proof. What else do you want?

sorry to ramble,

Sandslinger

my 400ex gps'd at glamis with my tire size and gearing i have ran 75 mph in the flats, granted its pretty slow up the hill, also i nhard pack it has no traction.

I've ridden 3 of em... pretty slow and sluggish

I just bought a 400 EX as my first quad ever. Before buying the 400, I had absolutely NO quad experience. After about the first month of riding, (I bought it brand new), I'm already planning on selling the damn thing within' a few years and buying something with more top speed. They're pretty slow off-road. I took my quad through the neighborhood (not smart) and got it to go around 50 mph in 4th gear. They're just not that fast. These quads are very reliable, you don't have to fix 'em every year like the you do with the Banshee. If I could've started all over, I wouldn't have bought a TRX 400 EX, I would've got something with more top speed.

You guys knock the banshee all you want but the banshee, stock on stock rules in glamis. My 97 hasn't had the motor touched and it is still as fast as the day I bought it. The 400ex does have great handling but it takes horsepower to turn paddles. [big Grin]

THE BIKE RUNS OK, I HAVE SEEN SOME QUICK ONES OUT THERE. DURABLE AT LEAST. [Cheese]

On 9/11/2002 at 6:01 PM, South Bay said:

Anybody drop a motor from a CRF450 in one yet and see how it goes?

You were just a Year too early....in Late 2003 Honda dropped the TRX450R

I'm pretty happy with my TRX400EX :crusty:

3 minutes ago, CRUSTY said:

You were just a Year too early....in Late 2003 Honda dropped the TRX450R

I'm pretty happy with my TRX400EX :crusty:

Yeah, but Sal would still hit one:

On 9/12/2002 at 12:08 AM, SAL said:

I've ridden 3 of em... pretty slow and sluggish

1 minute ago, South Bay said:

Yeah, but Sal would still hit one:

Good enough to hit it 3x even.

I've ridden a few Mopeds myself. In the dark, late at night :lol: