LS1FAMILY

Towing Question

On most trucks now adays they have a Tow/Haul button on the shifter.

Do you use it when towing? I use it sometimes, getting on fwy's or slowing down. Should I use it all the time when towing?

Thanks.....

I do. Should you? Dunno. When I don't, truck lugs a bit and my EGT's are a lot higher

I use mine all the time towing

It changes the shift points and helps with slowing down

I only use it when city driving or going down hill as it down shifts for me and slows me down

Do you use it when towing? I use it sometimes, getting on fwy's or slowing down. Should I use it all the time when towing?

Thanks.....

I can only speak for the Ford's, but assume they all work the same. It is recommended to activate the Tow/Haul mode anytime you are towing or hauling. Unlike the older truck were the button locked out the overdrive, the tow/haul feature changes shift patterns, more RPMs between shifts and locks up the torque converter a little more aggressively. On the 2011's it also activates the Exhaust Brake.

It changes the shift points and helps with slowing down

Use the button as well when you are in the hills or you can downshift.

Edited by duneme760

I use it when I'm in the hills but usually turn it off on flat ground to get to overdrive sooner.

Mine downshifts one gear when I press the button so it sits there at a high RPM on the freeway (stock gearing with 40" tires) and about 11mpg. I usually leave it off so I can cruise in overdrive at 15MPG. EGT's stay around 1100 or so in overdrive.

I have an older Ford and I believe my button only keeps me from going into overdrive... As a result, I pretty much only use it when I don't want the truck shifting back and forth. Like climbing the hill up the I8...

On the other hand, I've driven newer trucks and indeed, it changes the shift pattern to one much more suited to towing and on some models engages the engine brake more aggressively. (Possibly)

On the Allison, when towing, you can use the tow/haul button to force the tranny to shift into or out of OD. Many times, when the tranny has shifted out of OD, I take it out of T/H and it will upshift back into OD, then I put it back into T/H.

With the Dmax I only turn it off on long downhills so it will shift into 6th at less than 60 mph, otherwise it won't. About the only hill I do that on is the east bound 10 descending in to Palm Springs, which is all of 5 miles. 5 miles of my 370 mile round trip to G, kinda dumb now that I think about it.

Thanks.....

I can only speak for the Ford's, but assume they all work the same. It is recommended to activate the Tow/Haul mode anytime you are towing or hauling. Unlike the older truck were the button locked out the overdrive, the tow/haul feature changes shift patterns, more RPMs between shifts and locks up the torque converter a little more aggressively. On the 2011's it also activates the Exhaust Brake.

X2 I always use mine for towing on my newer truck. I know dodge started doing the tow/haul in 05

the idea behind the button is to keep the trans from overheating...it increases line pressure between shifts so the torque convertor does not slip as much..in effect keeping friction down. New vehicles have a pretty seemless shift point..you barely feel it shift anymore..all for creature comfort..this is acheived thru torque convertor slippage..in tow mode it gets more agressive in its shift point to lock the convertor up..on diesels it also changes the EGT temps ad activates exhaust brakes, etc.

I would rather run it in tow mode and save the unnecessary wear on the vehicle then worry about fuel consumption...

if your on flat ground and can maintain the vehicle in OD without it shifting (hunting for a gear) back and forth..then its fine to take out of tow mode..the moment you see it going in and out of OD..you should take it back out of regular mode and put it back in tow mode...

its all about saving the trans, reducing temps, and lowering torque stress on the driveline.....

oversized tires screw up the computers ability to calculate the correct shift points, etc....thats why recalibration is critical if you run big tires....and worth the hundy or so it costs to flash the computer for this....on a diesel you should run the tow mode for all the benefits of downshift braking and exhaust braking that is designed into them... my 2 cents....

X2 You hit it on the head. On my 06 D-max keeps tranny cool , and tranny locked in.

the idea behind the button is to keep the trans from overheating...it increases line pressure between shifts so the torque convertor does not slip as much..in effect keeping friction down. New vehicles have a pretty seemless shift point..you barely feel it shift anymore..all for creature comfort..this is acheived thru torque convertor slippage..in tow mode it gets more agressive in its shift point to lock the convertor up..on diesels it also changes the EGT temps ad activates exhaust brakes, etc.

I would rather run it in tow mode and save the unnecessary wear on the vehicle then worry about fuel consumption...

if your on flat ground and can maintain the vehicle in OD without it shifting (hunting for a gear) back and forth..then its fine to take out of tow mode..the moment you see it going in and out of OD..you should take it back out of regular mode and put it back in tow mode...

its all about saving the trans, reducing temps, and lowering torque stress on the driveline.....

oversized tires screw up the computers ability to calculate the correct shift points, etc....thats why recalibration is critical if you run big tires....and worth the hundy or so it costs to flash the computer for this....on a diesel you should run the tow mode for all the benefits of downshift braking and exhaust braking that is designed into them... my 2 cents....

X2 You hit it on the head. On my 06 D-max keeps tranny cool , and tranny locked in.

x-3...

Shouldn't be towing in 6th with an Allison. Mine runs much better in M5 and EGTs stay down which means more MPG. Without TH on it goes into lockup at 50 mph, with it on, it goes into lockup in 2nd gear. Since lockup is 1:1 no fluid coupling is taking place so the heat will be kept to a minimum.

We have a couple of Dodge's, whenever we tow we use the tow/haul...always!

Ah, let's see.... the button says "tow/haul". Now, I'm not a certified mechanic, but it seems like you should use the button when, well, I guess, when you TOW or HAUL something.

I turn mine on and off all the time, but I've got a Dodge, and that transmission's not very smart... :D