Sign in to follow this  
SD Surfer

When Did This Thread Head To The Needs To Be "closed" Direction

Right before I deleted it.

Whip your thread had alot of valuable information, I was sad to see it get so off track. I'm sorry it was deleted :(

geeze another one of these topics

Whip your thread had alot of valuable information, I was sad to see it get so off track. I'm sorry it was deleted :(

Yeah me too, I really just wanted to understand, but when it started becoming nothing more than troll-food and mod-bashing I decided it had to go.

No big whoop. :sha:

geeze another one of these topics

Shouldn't be a problem, just start bumpin' some Esco threads and fill up the front page & you'll never even see this. :D

If placed in PI it would have solved everything. ;)

Absolutely. :ck:

How ya feeling these days Bill? Is the pain manageable?

Don't push yourself too hard, it's better to fully recover and not risk any re-injury.

exactly!

Don't push yourself too hard, it's better to fully recover and not risk any re-injury.

What happened to Bill? Did he roll his car again?

One tip to avoid being banned....

Don't start a related topic asking why another thread was closed. It just extends the closed thread :sha:

:lol:

What happened to Bill? Did he roll his car again?

No. Over the summer, he had knee surgery. Just recently, he had elbow surgery.

That's a lot of pain.

they should put it in the rules that they can ban cry babies :bigcry:

more then one call to a mod to complain and you are outta here :lol:

Don't start a related topic asking why another thread was closed. It just extends the closed thread :sha:

I'm not sure I understand, I didn't ask that & it wasn't closed- I deleted it. :blink:

I'm not sure I understand, I didn't ask that & it wasn't closed- I deleted it. :blink:

Thanks for this thread, I couldn't get to sleep wondering what happened to the other one. Enquiring minds want to know.

Edited to add I deleted my for sale add for my 1972 Pr ickfor in Buy Sell in case anyone was wondering.

Edited by BaBaBouy

Just speaking in general terms. A lot of times somebody will get ticked that a thread was closed and deleted and will go off and start a whole new thread biatching about why the other thread was closed. Just adding to your discussion on how to get banned or get a bacation.

Thanks for this thread, I couldn't get to sleep wondering what happened to the other one. Enquiring minds want to know.

Edited to add I deleted my for sale add for my 1972 Pr ickfor in Buy Sell in case anyone was wondering.

Really how much was it? A few of us girls here got together and took full frontal shots and posted them in JD's section also but then we deleted them, incase you wanted to know.

Really how much was it? A few of us girls here got together and took full frontal shots and posted them in JD's section also but then we deleted them, incase you wanted to know.

I dont think Yoshi would mind a repost of the girl pics!!!!!!!!!!!

post-5922-1288106526.jpg

Edited by Wash 10 Crew

The best post really worth anything in the thread that got deleted was the Pastors.

Thank you VOR for taking the time to write what you did.

It was of great value to me and remains fresh in my mind....I will do as such :deal:

Good things and practices should not change.

You see...that is the difference.

Some people really don't read what is written (Between the lines included) and a few do.

:crusty:

$1.72 but I could be persuaded to barter...

The best post really worth anything in the thread that got deleted was the Pastors.

Thank you VOR for taking the time to write what you did.

It was of great value to me and remains fresh in my mind....I will do as such :deal:

Good things and practices should not change.

You see...that is the difference.

Some people really don't read what is written (Between the lines included) and a few do.

:crusty:

Exactly what I was thinking, Crusty!

Being in on the early development of the site and a large influence on how things were designed to run I like to think I have a unique perspective on this issue.

Why it is so difficult to be banned.

You see, this site has always been meant as a site ran by the users. It was originally owned by Kurt and then sold to a USER.

Without the users there is no site. The idea was to let the site be what the users wanted and to only offer up as much or as little management as required to keep the site running.

This worked great in the early days. There was only one rule. That rule was "Do as the moderator says or go away."

The idea was that the mod was only there to help the site stay civilized and to help keep it running with management and administration and stuff. If a user was just blatantly ruining things for others then the mod could come in and ask the user to stop. If the user didn't stop then he would be silenced. Since he cared so little for the board that he ignored the moderators request then he just didn't belong. The users also did a great job of keeping things in line. Peer pressure did wonders on people who got out of line.

Eventually the trolls and the "lawyers" showed up. You know the lawyers. They're the ones who would argue with the moderators... stuff like... "You didn't discipline him why are you disciplining me?" Even though the mods were just trying to do the best they could they were eventually overworked by the constant browbeating they took at the hands of these types. Many good mods left.

Numbers increased and this type of moderation got more and more difficult. Mods could not moderate the entire board and users started using that against them. That's when the bans started.

Up to that point there was only one or two bans... the first one was the one Kelly mentions, RedElvis (he had many names. His real name is Jon Ryder) He got in a fight with Slappy and decided to post "TubGirl" on the board, after hours when no moderator was there to delete it. This pissed Slappy off so much that he asked me to ban him forever.

But, like I said, eventually the users became unmanageable in the open way we were used to so we came up with the ability to do temp bans. This is the current system. Any mod can put a ban on any user for any period of time. I think now days the usual is about 2 weeks.

So, the users fought back. The banned person would gather his friends and attack the moderator who did the banning. This caused the mods to be fearful of banning anyone. Then we came up with the Dunetroll idea. A moderator with no name that could ban someone without taking credit. But this, ultimately didn't work. The users always found out.

Now days the interwoven cliques and buddy groups are so numerous that it's almost impossible to do anything on this board without some kind of retaliation. Even me and full blown Admin. I'm certain there will be a smart assed reply to this post I just made. Some kind of defensive move by this group or that group. "Maybe he meant me..." they'll be thinking. "Why did he decide to come from nowhere and post this...?" others will think.

It's all bull...

A great many of you act like children and don't deserve this awesome board. But hey, it's yours so it is what it is.

Personally, I liked it when the mod could just say... "Hey, why don't you change the subject?" and that was enough, because people loved the board. A time when the thought of banning someone was so traumatic that we had to have long discussions about the ramifications before we did it. A time when people respected those people who give their time to make a place for you to come together with others like yourself.

Enjoy your board! :D