genesis121

Gun Safes

I was looking the one Costco had for sale online, which is now out of stock.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?...rketingItemName

Cannon safe on sale right now.

Costco has a decent Cannon safe on sale CS20

Not the best, but it will work. It isn't very heavy, so I would recommend bolting it to the ground, AND filling it full of lots and lots of ammo to weigh it down.

Was just asking a deputy sheriff buddy about this a few weeks ago. He said any gun safe that can be carried out of a house by 1-2 people isn't really safe.

Pretty much no safe is safe then. They almost all get delivered by 2 guys and a truck. If you know what you are doing, you can move one easily.

Again, bolt that sucker down and fill it full of lead.

I was thinking this very same way. electronic, faster and easier to use. if the electronics break though, then what?

What if the lock breaks, or a tumbler fails? What if there is an EMP, and your electronics go out, what if you choke on a piece of steak from Red Lobster that everyone told you not to eat in the other thread?

But, to be realistic, it shouldn't have a problem. Some have warranties against the locks failing. I do believe that the lock can be replaced and opened with the same combination, don't hold me to that, but that is what I have heard. It's a good idea to leave a weapon stored somewhere else in case something does happen to your safe when SHTF, but you should still be able to get into it with time and effort.

my dial safe will be 19 yrs next month, been shipped from texas to germany and back to nevada, never had any issues with the dial combo, on my second electronic, never had any problems with either of those. The big safe weighs in around 1000lbs, empty, and 2 of us moved it with a pick-up, was not easy, but it can be done, and I know how to move it around by my self .....

use a cheap safe as a decoy for the good one :hmm:

Well I was very, VERY pleased to discover when I drilled through my floor, that my drill bit missed the water pipe by a solid 4-6".

It was a nice surprise, 'cuz the hole wasn't where my measuring tape had told me it was gonna' be! I drilled one test hole really slowly and left the drill in the hole so I could see where the bit was under the house... :scared: There it was, smack-dab in between the hot and cold copper pipes, about 3' from where I had expected to see it. It looks like the two sets of holes in the safe are going to straddle the pipe.

That rules out the one big backing plate I had planned on so I'll just have to do two smaller ones.

I'm just very glad to be explaining this to you all instead of my plumber friend. :sha:

just use some big plate washers .......

just use some big plate washers .......

That's a good idea, what do you consider "Big"?

REAL big, maybe fabricate some out of plate a size that will fit in the space you have to work with ....

use a cheap safe as a decoy for the good one :hmm:

LOL i did that when i got my current one and used the old one like that even kept a couple of bb guns in there.

REAL big, maybe fabricate some out of plate a size that will fit in the space you have to work with ....

Thanks, that's pretty much what I planned. The safe is straddling a floor joist, so two holes per plate w/one plate on each side of the joist.

Be sure to us some kind of nylock nut so you have to be on both sides of the floor to get them off. Or mess up the threads some on the bolts. That way the bolt will turn if some one try's to undo them from the bottom side.

I have a Cannon with a dial and day lock. You use a key to open it and when you shut it just turn the dial back to zero and lock the handle. It's ready to open again with the key. When you want in you just use the key but if some one spins the dial then the key lock will not work. You then have to us the combination to open it. When you leave the house just spin the dial and the key will not work.

Be sure to us some kind of nylock nut so you have to be on both sides of the floor to get them off. Or mess up the threads some on the bolts. That way the bolt will turn if some one try's to undo them from the bottom side.

I have a Cannon with a dial and day lock. You use a key to open it and when you shut it just turn the dial back to zero and lock the handle. It's ready to open again with the key. When you want in you just use the key but if some one spins the dial then the key lock will not work. You then have to us the combination to open it. When you leave the house just spin the dial and the key will not work.

Yeah, I'll probably just take a grinder to the threads and bugger 'em up a little. Good advice.

I know if they want it bad enough they'll get it, but I figure each level of roadblocks I add makes my stuff less and less desireable.

Small (265 lbs) safe is better than no safe.

Small safe bolted to the floor is better than safe sitting there unbolted.

Small safe bolted to the floor with steel backing plate & effed up threads under the house is better than safe bolted to the floor.

Etc., etc., etc.

Digital all the way. Quick access is king. Mechanical can slip, typically the middle number, one to two number up or down.

As for the digital lock, make sure the safe has a UL type 1 lock. There are several electronically operated lock out there that are just a simple solenoid operated mechanism and look just the same as a type 1. Type 1 locks are typically manufactured by Sargent Greenleaf, Kaba Maas, La Gard, LP, and Securam. Also, if the safe has the UL RSC label, the electronic lock has to meet the UL type 1 requirement.

The CS20 that is on sale at Costco is a good buy for a first safe and it does have the UL RSC security listing. Gun capasities are always subject to the individuals gun collection and will vary. there are several local dealers in the inland empire, Southland Safe in Cororna, US Safe in Murietta, Ammo Bros, and Keep Safe in San Diego. There are a couple of manufactures in are too, Amsec in Ontario and Cannon adjacent to the 215 near Kendall Drive.

Digital all the way. Quick access is king. Mechanical can slip, typically the middle number, one to two number up or down.

As for the digital lock, make sure the safe has a UL type 1 lock. There are several electronically operated lock out there that are just a simple solenoid operated mechanism and look just the same as a type 1. Type 1 locks are typically manufactured by Sargent Greenleaf, Kaba Maas, La Gard, LP, and Securam. Also, if the safe has the UL RSC label, the electronic lock has to meet the UL type 1 requirement.

The CS20 that is on sale at Costco is a good buy for a first safe and it does have the UL RSC security listing. Gun capasities are always subject to the individuals gun collection and will vary. there are several local dealers in the inland empire, Southland Safe in Cororna, US Safe in Murietta, Ammo Bros, and Keep Safe in San Diego. There are a couple of manufactures in are too, Amsec in Ontario and Cannon adjacent to the 215 near Kendall Drive.

West coast safe is also right in the same lot as Ammo Bros.

Was there the other day.....Those Liberty safes are nice. Just need to save a bit more.

Was there the other day.....Those Liberty safes are nice. Just need to save a bit more.

Yea, although I didn't shop around, those guys seemed like they may be a little high on the prices. Again, I wasn't able to compare models. But, they are close.

Amsec won't sell directly to individuals

gotta go thru one of their wholesalers, even if you live next door to the plant..

anyone can build a basic safe

and quality is like buying oats

you will pay for a good lock/latch protection, and a good door bolt design

I prefer S-G manual combo locks

given enough tools and time, anyone can bust into anything

funny to see folks whining about price when they keep thousands of dollars of guns and stuff inside....

Ok, I feel better now. My new safe is in place and bolted though the floor with 1/2" grade 8 hardware and steel plate underneath.

I don't ever want to crawl under my house again.

post-12474-1301464165_thumb.jpg

post-12474-1301464197_thumb.jpg

post-12474-1301464209_thumb.jpg

post-12474-1301464220_thumb.jpg

post-12474-1301464233_thumb.jpg

Lest we forget my last line of defense.

If you manage to get past everything else and get into my safe...

There's a surprise waiting inside for you...

and he will scratch your eyes out!!!

post-12474-1301464552_thumb.jpg

post-12474-1301464559_thumb.jpg

You need WAY more ammo.

You need WAY more ammo.

That's what I keep telling my wife!

There's actually more in the garage, this is just what was in the bedroom when I got done lolting the safe down.

You need WAY more ammo.

There's actually more in the garage, this is just what was in the bedroom when I got done lolting the safe down.

Lol, I don't know what telling the wife has to do with it. In fact, that is what you are NOT supposed to do.

:ck:

You need WAY more ammo.

Lol, I don't know what telling the wife has to do with it. In fact, that is what you are NOT supposed to do.

Yeah, that and letting them know the password to check the bank account online. :nag:

You need WAY more ammo.

Yeah, that and letting them know the password to check the bank account online. :nag:

You are the perfect example of what not to do! :nag:

:lol:

You need WAY more ammo.

You are the perfect example of what not to do! :nag:

:lol:

That may be so, but I'm also still married!

"Happy wife, Happy life"