Driveway Stain Help Please….

RK Racing

Hi and thank you for your help. 6 V battery overcharging stains from a couple of years ago…. I tried a very high water pressure gun and pretty much accomplished nothing. I was at Home Depot the other day looking for that swimming pool acid and I did not see any. Not sure if that would work or not. Please give me your advice to remove those orange stains, Thank you.

E3A7AFE2-875C-4B3D-8CA1-B59A9EFB5D82.jpeg

yes it will change the whole look of the concrete.... you will need to do the entire area... there are concrete cleaners that are basically mild pool acid. 

• Like 2

I know it's not the same but with oil stains I use cat litter and work it in with my work boot for a little while. 

It has like a sand paper affect. It's not so much the cat litter, just more the technique.

• Like 1

• Administrators

I would do some test spots before you go spraying something all over your drive way.

Start with :

CLR

TSP

Driveway cleaner (diluted acid)

Bleach

Comet

Coke. ya never know haha

Obliviously keep them separated as these chemicals don't play well together.

Report back on your results.

• Like 1

Find someone that has an older powerstroke (if you don't have one of your own) that's never had any of the oil leaks fixed on it and hasn't had an oil change for atleast 20,000 miles and park it there for about a week. The black stains it leaves will permanently cover up those ugly orange ones

Edited by Rorschach
  • Haha 6

• Board Moderator

I have a marine descaling product we use. It's called barnacle buster. Its phosphoric acid. It will clean it for sure. You will want to do the whole pad as it will whiten everything. If your driveways slopes down like most do, plan on doing the slope to the street as all the run off will streak and whiten. 

Warning* Any acid base cleaner is dissolving minerals in the concrete. The texture of the concrete will be rougher.

I wouldn't do this on a hot sunny day. You wont have much control with evaporation.

• Like 2

• Forum Moderator
7 minutes ago, matt86m said:

Hope this helps

E3A7AFE2-875C-4B3D-8CA1-B59A9EFB5D82.thumb.jpeg.3e6acc34361cc6ee31d0206b8b8c76e0_LI.jpg

Amazing. Job well done Matt. Peace

• Board Moderator
10 hours ago, RK Racing said:

Hi and thank you for your help. 6 V battery overcharging stains from a couple of years ago…. I tried a very high water pressure gun and pretty much accomplished nothing. I was at Home Depot the other day looking for that swimming pool acid and I did not see any. Not sure if that would work or not. Please give me your advice to remove those orange stains, Thank you.

E3A7AFE2-875C-4B3D-8CA1-B59A9EFB5D82.jpeg

drivway.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

For oil stains pour Lacquer Thinner on it and walk away. It pulls the oil out and just disappears. I’ve been doing it for years, have yet to have an oil stain it did not get out. 

Dont know if it would work on rust, but it might be worth a try. I did Muriatic Acid on a driveway years ago and it worked well with getting all the random stains and marks out. But it does etch and roughen it a bit, and the smell if breathed in will burn your nose & eyes. Also it takes allot of water to wash it out, and use a broom your willing to destroy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, NIKAL said:

For oil stains pour Lacquer Thinner on it and walk away. It pulls the oil out and just disappears. I’ve been doing it for years, have yet to have an oil stain it did not get out. 

Dont know if it would work on rust, but it might be worth a try. I did Muriatic Acid on a driveway years ago and it worked well with getting all the random stains and marks out. But it does etch and roughen it a bit, and the smell if breathed in will burn your nose & eyes. Also it takes allot of water to wash it out, and use a broom your willing to destroy. 

I use Lacquer thinner for oil stains as well. Also not sure about the rust. Sounds like some great suggestions here. Would be good to know what worked the best. 

• Like 1

• Board Moderator

Nice thing with the phosphoric acid solution we use is there's no odor. Safe if it gets on your skin. It's designed to be safe with organics but aggressive on minerals.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dariusld said:

I know it's not the same but with oil stains I use cat litter and work it in with my work boot for a little while. 

It has like a sand paper affect. It's not so much the cat litter, just more the technique.

LOL i do the same gotta rub it in good too.

• Like 1