SanDollars

Proper Tow Vehicles A Must!

Well, after almost a year has passed since my buddy lost control of his FS3000 toy hauler being pulled by his F-250 coming down Sierra pass. He had sway bars and bags. The trailer swayed somehow and took over the control of his tow rig. He ended up smashing into another vehicle and the passenger in the other was killed and the driver injured.

The highway patrol cited him for hauling the trailer with a tow vehicle that was not rated for the weights of the trailer even though he was not too loaded up. The injured sued him big time, the insurance company disowned him due to the fact that he was improperly rigged and was "using his vehicle for purposes not intended by the manufacturer" even though they insured both vehicles.

He is awaiting trial for manslaughter, lost a civil suit for 1.2 million dollars, of which he was able to get 300,000 dollars from his insurances company sold his home, toys and vacation property to pay for it.

His wife divorced him and he is probably going to do some time.

Bottom line is the man is broke, lost his wife, affected PERMANENTLY the life of another man, and killed a woman all because he didn't want to spend another few grand for the right sized tow vehicle.

Moral of this lesson: BE WARNED! You idiots out there that know you are over limits or running too small size tow rigs, PRAY you never get in an accident!

If you have any questions about this, I know the whole story and would be happy to share if any of you want to know more.

My question is, does he sleep downtown by the stadium? because i saw a couple bums down there, no im just kidding, im really sorry about your friend i dont know what i would do, that sucks, i will always to under the actuall max of my truck icon_smile.gif

Very sad story indeed. icon_sad.gif I think that it is even worse that he has lost everything, and looking at jail time too. He was probably devistated enough just with having to live withthe fact he killed someone else. Was he aware that the truck was not rated to tow that much? Hell, our truck is rated for 7500 lb, and I was driving a flat bed with just the buggy (1400lbs or so) passed a semi and then the wind smacked us right after the draft from the truck. It got out of shape real fast, but I managed to straighten it out. blink.gif It was scary for sure. We are now getting an enclosed 24ft (soon) and plan to do everything to make it as safe as possible for towing. Sometimes this stuff is out of your control though. I hope that your buddy makes it through all of this.

More importantly, watch your speed!

I have heard way too many people bragging how fast they drive when towing. Just because it's possible for you to drive 80mph pulling a trailer, doesn't mean you should be.

Try 65. You might end up 15 minutes behind, but one accident ahead.

Lol, my dad tows our heavy flat bed trailer with just my bike about 80 mph all the way to elsinore, it tows great and my truck is rated at 10,000 so i think its pretty safe, theres just my bike onit and we dont have any problems

oh how much does the fs3000 weigh and whats the limit on the f-250?

That is the exact point that I have been talking about, I know everyone in our camp is pulling more than their truck is rated for, we all have F-350's and all of us have 35' or bigger 5th wheels, I was running around 4500lbs over specs for my truck, after consideration I bought a used F550 and now I am safe and comfortable, but I know the others are still over, and both of their trucks are sitting on 37 and 38 inch tires, which makes the truck even more unstable. If you think about it, you spend $45K for a diesel F350, then another $10K for lift, etc. then $40K for a trailer, then ??? for all the toys in the trailer, and find out your truck is overloaded so you have to spend at least another $30K for a tow vehicle, its tough, I got a smokin deal on my F550 and sold my buggy at the time so it didnt hurt that much, but for the normal person, spending all that money to be safe and sound sometimes isnt an option

More importantly, watch your speed!

I have heard way too many people bragging how fast they drive when towing. Just because it's possible for you to drive 80mph pulling a trailer, doesn't mean you should be.

Try 65. You might end up 15 minutes behind, but one accident ahead.

I was under the impression there was a 55 mph speed limit for "anything" with a trailer.

...for a reason?

Actually the speed limit in CA is 55 mph with a trailer. In AZ, UT and ID it is the normal posted speed limit. In AZ and UT it is 75 mph. We usually run about 65-70-ish BUT then again we have just a flat bed trailer with the buggy.

If you have any questions about this, I know the whole story and would be happy to share if any of you want to know more.

I would like to know if the CHP weighed his rig to know how much it weighed. They must have in order for people to win a suit against him.

You say he was not that loaded up but was over the weight limit, how much did his FS3000 weigh at the time of the accident.

Another note I think is worth mentioning is that and F-350 does not have any more trailer towing capacity than an F-250 they are both 20,000 # Combined and a maximum trailer weight of 12,500#. This is for a crew cab 4x4 6.0 diesel and pull trailer.

I would really like to know the weight specifics of your friends rig at the time of the accident.

You idiots out there that know you are over limits or running too small size tow rigs

shock.gif WOW!

Fact: any modification to a vehicle, any, can void the factory original towing capacity. tires, lift, etc............you idiots better think about that. rolleyes.gif

Yeah by adding bigger tires ya have to upgrade the brakes, the rotating mass causes the truck to stop slower, but by adding some aftermarket brakes and a bigger rotor then ya equal it all out,just because your vehicle is rated at 12,500 doesnt mean ya should push the limits

Yeah by adding bigger tires ya have to upgrade the brakes, the rotating mass causes the truck to stop slower

watch monsters garage much???

Yeah, and trucks and horsepower tv on channel 45 icon_smile.gif

Yeah by adding bigger tires ya have to upgrade the brakes, the rotating mass causes the truck to stop slower, but by adding some aftermarket brakes and a bigger rotor then ya equal it all out,just because your vehicle is rated at 12,500 doesnt mean ya should push the limits

Great points, but trial lawyers would eat that for a snack, stock. Anything else you open yourself up to a can of worms. Now this story tragic and true, but accidents happen and truth be told many "idiots" are towing out of class, or with modifications. (Note: idiot, not my first choice of words.)

and from what i saw....there are MANY lifted trucks towing trailers at G...

its not as much as the lifts/tires causing problems.....its people wanting the biggest/baddest trailer out there which would be way over weight for their rig

Well, after almost a year has passed since my buddy lost control of his FS3000 toy hauler being pulled by his F-250 coming down Sierra pass. He had sway bars and bags. The trailer swayed somehow and took over the control of his tow rig. He ended up smashing into another vehicle and the passenger in the other was killed and the driver injured.

The highway patrol cited him for hauling the trailer with a tow vehicle that was not rated for the weights of the trailer even though he was not too loaded up. The injured sued him big time, the insurance company disowned him due to the fact that he was improperly rigged and was "using his vehicle for purposes not intended by the manufacturer" even though they insured both vehicles.

He is awaiting trial for manslaughter, lost a civil suit for 1.2 million dollars, of which he was able to get 300,000 dollars from his insurances company sold his home, toys and vacation property to pay for it.

His wife divorced him and he is probably going to do some time.

Bottom line is the man is broke, lost his wife, affected PERMANENTLY the life of another man, and killed a woman all because he didn't want to spend another few grand for the right sized tow vehicle.

Moral of this lesson: BE WARNED! You idiots out there that know you are over limits or running too small size tow rigs, PRAY you never get in an accident!

This could have very easly happened even with the proper tow vehicle. Not loaded properly wind, driving to fast etc. I tow an 03 fs 3000 with a 2500 HD and depending on conditions it can be a handfull. Still sorry to hear about your buddy.

Well I would have asked to have everything weighed. A FS3000 with not too much stuff in it is not over 10,000lbs.

The only rating he was over, unless his truck was modded, is the GVWR. Tongue weight on a FS3000 is 1400lbs with no water or bikes in it.

Some trucks are sold wirh a light duty tow package. If you get the HD tow package it will have different springs,shocks,stableizer bars and brakes. The tow rating stays the same but you have greater saftey factor with the HD tow package.

I'm thinking instead of calling people "idiots", maybe let them know that even if they do have a 3/4 or a 1 ton vehicle they still might be illegal and maybe give them ideas on how to rectify that. A question I have is that I noticed my hitch distrubrution weight is 10,000lbs and 1000 lbs at the tongue. I'm pretty sure I'm over that when I pull my fs3000 so in order to make myself legal is it just a matter of getting a heavier rated hitch? I thought class 5 was the biggest? Any thoughts?

Jeff

i know that i am at my limit with the truck i use f-350 rated at 12500-with my trailer loaded im at the 12500 i not out to make any land speed records and the only time iever reach 65 is on a flat grade and no wind- my .02 is you drive whats safe and dont push the max-i have been considering the purchase of a much bigger truck and will make the purchase next year, but for now i will push the limit, and pray that everything goes well

I would like to know if the CHP weighed his rig to know how much it weighed. They must have in order for people to win a suit against him.

You say he was not that loaded up but was over the weight limit, how much did his FS3000 weigh at the time of the accident.

Another note I think is worth mentioning is that and F-350 does not have any more trailer towing capacity than an F-250 they are both 20,000 # Combined and a maximum trailer weight of 12,500#. This is for a crew cab 4x4 6.0 diesel and pull trailer.

I would really like to know the weight specifics of your friends rig at the time of the accident.

His tow vehicle was a f-250 2WD crew cab with a powerstroke diesel.

Yes they weighed his rig after the accident and he was cited AFTER the accident. They were thorough in the investigation, after all, there was a death. I do not know what an FS3000 weighs without annything in it, I am sure Headinjury could tell you. He had 4 quads in it, 1/4 tank water, full gas for Gen,gas station, and food for a 4 day trip, as well as items for he and his wife.

He was one of these guys who liked to make "time" and was not the least afraid, or as I like to think about it, "reverent" to the fact he was hauling a lot of weight and should drive like a semi driver as opposed to a sports car driver. I am sure these things came into play. He only got the insurance because they had insured both rigs, thus implying they knew he was hauling with the truck. They paid their limits and walked away, disowning him like a hot potato.

You idiots out there that know you are over limits or running too small size tow rigs

shock.gif WOW!

That IDIOTS remark refers to MY friends out there on this BBS who know who they are. My apologies if I have offended athers who also may be over their ratings...... icon_wink.gif

so an f250 cannot pull an fs30 safely?

I thought it was all within the limits?

[

This could have very easly happened even with the proper tow vehicle. Not loaded properly wind, driving to fast etc. I tow an 03 fs 3000 with a 2500 HD and depending on conditions it can be a handfull. Still sorry to hear about your buddy.

Murph, You are absolutely right. This, God forbid could happen to ANY of us. (knocking on wood) I brought this up to my "family" (ei. y'all) who play together at Mother G, simply as a reminder that there are ways we could find ourselves behind bars for an innocent accident with grave results simply because we have to have the biggest and baddest trailer out there but didn't put in enough thought on what we are towing it with.

I love this man. He is like a brother. Now he looks 60 years old, broke, hated, and is starting over at 40 if he gets out of the jail time. It sucks. This is just a body check for all of us.