Single stack or double stack. Whats your 1911 preference

Sausage450r

Single stack or double stack  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Single stack or double stack mag?

• Single
    • Double

I love my 1911's because of what they are. Fatter grip on them does not appeal to me at all.

For higher capacity, HK USP all the way baby!

• Like 1

1911's need to be a 1911 which means single stack.  If I want capacity, I grab a Glock.

Sold my only 1911 several years ago.  But I kept some mags and a can of 45 because I know I'll have one again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bansh88 said:

1911's need to be a 1911 which means single stack.  If I want capacity, I grab a Glock.

Sold my only 1911 several years ago.  But I kept some mags and a can of 45 because I know I'll have one again.

2 hours ago, RayClay said:

I love my 1911's because of what they are. Fatter grip on them does not appeal to me at all.

For higher capacity, HK USP all the way baby!

I agree with you guys. Im extremely accurate with a basic 1911. I really like heavy 1911’s for accuracy with speed. The paras with their alumn frames run a little on the lightweight side. 

The hk has always felt a little too large in my hand, had one years ago i sold to a board member. 

For polymer guns i really like the springfield xd’s (and s&w m&p shield)  for their geometry that mimics the 1911.  

Sig is a gun with really good geometry too. Im a stickler for streamlining what you shoot. So i like all of my pistols to feel relatively the same. 

If I could only have one it would be a single stack, they have the classic look and great feel in the hand. The double stacks are a little chunky and weird feeling to me, though I wouldn't kick one out of the safe if I had one!

Dare I say though, the only 1911 and the only .45 in the safe is my wife's Sig 1911 TTT.

F5B905A1-3F59-4A41-BC1E-8AE7A3A41556.jpeg

Edited by xtracrispy
  • Like 3

Single stack for sure i love my colt commander fits hand so good.I also have a glock 20 which is same frame as the 21 wgich is 45 and that grip is thick.I only bought the 20 for camping and outdoors though so it didnt matter.

I can shoot my 1911 so well its my main target gun.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xtracrispy said:

If I could only have one it would be a single stack, they have the classic look and great feel in the hand. The double stacks are a little chunky and weird feeling to me, though I wouldn't kick one out of the safe if I had one!

Dare I say though, the only 1911 and the only .45 in the safe is my wife's Sig 1911 TTT.

F5B905A1-3F59-4A41-BC1E-8AE7A3A41556.jpeg

Nice peace. Lots of 1911 purists take offense to the external extractor sig and s&w use

Same as everyone else. A 1911 will never be a carry gun for me though it's the pistol I shoot the best. It's just a range shooter. I think every gun owner should have one or atleast shoot one once. I was blown away the first time I shot a Springfield 1911 TRP. So much so that I sold a few rugers and glocks and bought this professional. 

64333631134__8B21BAD8-AFEB-49A0-B27F-B93BE5661135.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fireballsocal said:

Same as everyone else. A 1911 will never be a carry gun for me though it's the pistol I shoot the best. It's just a range shooter. I think every gun owner should have one or atleast shoot one once. I was blown away the first time I shot a Springfield 1911 TRP. So much so that I sold a few rugers and glocks and bought this professional. 

Love the trp professional! Awesome gun

para and kimber beg to differ on the conceal carry 1911

p10758CFDF7-3541-44DE-A6AE-687E90ED2A78.jpeg.87cd920b2f957af8e4af40ef8de768eb.jpeg

kimber cdp ultra carry

54B35E11-85A4-4F92-84FD-65E1CED74356.jpeg.4c3da7c93ae419bfecbc9c70f320e089.jpeg

• Like 1

Before the boating accident where I lost all my firearms, I had a Les Baer, a Wilson Combat, and a couple Kimbers (I know, I know ppl will poo-poo Kimbers but I like 'em and they run well, not as precise as the Les or Wilson but still far better than all my, errr my ex-polymer stuff).  I like 'em single stack, and the way they fit my hand (and TBH I don't have small hands) is just like nothing else, as well as the slide-trigger that makes a 1911 so unique.  I ha...d a bunch of Glocks, mostly highly modified, and I used triggers in those that are meant to emulate the "straight back" trigger motion as closely as possible with a pivot-trigger.  For double-stack capacity I ha...d a G21 SF with a highly modded frame that fits my hand pretty well and the modded frame/grip creates closer to a 1911 angle.  It's not a match-shooting target rig, but with a red-dot, light, etc. and "run in the mud" reliability it's nice for keepin' the 2-legged varmits out of the house. 

-TJ

6 hours ago, Fireballsocal said:

My commander is a target gun and home defense. Wouldn’t mind carrying a nice compact 1911 but went with a glock 43 for ccw love the slimness and compact size. 

i tend to buy a gun for specific purpose wheter its caliber or size. My g 20 I can’t shoot it as good as my colt but then again the 45 is no match for 15 rounds 10mm as an outdoor camping gun. Out of the 4 handguns I own my 1911 is my favorite 

On 12/20/2021 at 10:57 AM, Sausage450r said:

Nice peace. Lots of 1911 purists take offense to the external extractor sig and s&w use

Yeah, they hate chit that works.

9 hours ago, tjZ06 said:

Before the boating accident where I lost all my firearms, I had a Les Baer, a Wilson Combat, and a couple Kimbers (I know, I know ppl will poo-poo Kimbers but I like 'em and they run well, not as precise as the Les or Wilson but still far better than all my, errr my ex-polymer stuff).  I like 'em single stack, and the way they fit my hand (and TBH I don't have small hands) is just like nothing else, as well as the slide-trigger that makes a 1911 so unique.  I ha...d a bunch of Glocks, mostly highly modified, and I used triggers in those that are meant to emulate the "straight back" trigger motion as closely as possible with a pivot-trigger.  For double-stack capacity I ha...d a G21 SF with a highly modded frame that fits my hand pretty well and the modded frame/grip creates closer to a 1911 angle.  It's not a match-shooting target rig, but with a red-dot, light, etc. and "run in the mud" reliability it's nice for keepin' the 2-legged varmits out of the house. 

-TJ

I personally like kimber’s (at least the early one’s) like everything they didnt age well the newer para’s arent quite the quality of the older ones too. I have an older and newer para. Older is definitely better quality 

18 hours ago, Sausage450r said:

I personally like kimber’s (at least the early one’s) like everything they didnt age well the newer para’s arent quite the quality of the older ones too. I have an older and newer para. Older is definitely better quality 

What year did the switch happen?

-TJ

My first issued weapon was a 1911, carried that for a year then I built a Para Ordnance for duty. When I switched departments I asked if I could carry it but they said no! 

So for me, I like both for sentimental reasons. Still have my Para. 

• Like 2

• Board Moderator

I always wanted a 1911. Shot and held many. Never found one I felt fit my hand well enough to own it. 

One day I was in Turners. There was a raw of 1911's on the bottom shelf with price tags flipped over. I asked to hold one. It was an Ed Brown. It fit and it felt right. Single stack special forces. I asked if I could pull the trigger with a dummy round and they said no. I asked again. No was th answer. I them laid my cc on the counter and asked for the manager. He came over and said there policy on high value guns was not to allow it. I stood my ground and he cut the ties loose. Put a dummy round in it and I bought it. 

Ive owned it for 5 years and have yet to shoot the dam thing. 

One day. 

It's a beauty. It's machine tolerances are second to none. I've looked at colts and Kimber's but they just don't line up like this one. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Grease Monkey said:

I always wanted a 1911. Shot and held many. Never found one I felt fit my hand well enough to own it. 

One day I was in Turners. There was a raw of 1911's on the bottom shelf with price tags flipped over. I asked to hold one. It was an Ed Brown. It fit and it felt right. Single stack special forces. I asked if I could pull the trigger with a dummy round and they said no. I asked again. No was th answer. I them laid my cc on the counter and asked for the manager. He came over and said there policy on high value guns was not to allow it. I stood my ground and he cut the ties loose. Put a dummy round in it and I bought it. 

Ive owned it for 5 years and have yet to shoot the dam thing. 

One day. 

It's a beauty. It's machine tolerances are second to none. I've looked at colts and Kimber's but they just don't line up like this one. 

I really want an Ed Brown to go with the Les and Wilson, lol. FWIW I've been told dropping the slide with no round is actually worse for 1911s than dry fire.

-TJ

• Like 1

On 12/24/2021 at 10:03 AM, Sausage450r said:

Love the trp professional! Awesome gun

para and kimber beg to differ on the conceal carry 1911

p10758CFDF7-3541-44DE-A6AE-687E90ED2A78.jpeg.87cd920b2f957af8e4af40ef8de768eb.jpeg

kimber cdp ultra carry

54B35E11-85A4-4F92-84FD-65E1CED74356.jpeg.4c3da7c93ae419bfecbc9c70f320e089.jpeg

Those look nice.  I was with @Fireballsocal when I used to own firearms my 1911 was my favorite and most accurate but I never carried it. My EDC was a G27 or Shield. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, punkur67 said:

I love 1911s and have had both. I got a para and sold it pretty quick because it did not do much for me. I prefer the single stack myself 

Screenshot_20200913-201759_Gallery.thumb.jpg.2301a6a0634ad10d65de287c9712cecf.jpg20200903_205458.thumb.jpg.116f8c881fee70b041f7c1ad20455d0e.jpg20200905_160855.thumb.jpg.e7a2200cee61d7ad337c6ae495e5b2bf.jpg

Is that a limited edition chris kyle tribute trp? Or did you add the grips?

• Like 1