ElCaminoManT

California 5th Wheel/recreational Trailer Endorsement For Class C License

just shy of a month ago i went in to renew my license. while there, i asked the lady behind the counter about getting my rec trailer endorsement for my class C. she right away knew what i was asking about and had me fill out the necessary application but as i was there after 430, i wasnt able to take the written test. she gave me the info and said to come back to her window another day. fast forward to today i was able to get back in there and went to the req window. unfortunately the same lady wasnt there and the lady who was didnt seem to have a clue what test i needed to take. kicker was that my temp license reciept thingy had all the info on it she needed! anyway, i get the test and sit down and take it. hand it in then im thinking to myself something wasnt right. i went back and grabbed the test and looked and sure enough, she had me take the test for the 45' housecar test, derp! so i ask someone else and she gives me the correct test. im a lil miffed at this point and zip thru the test, apparently the lady could tell as she asked me a couple of the questions on the test after the fact to which i know the answers to and get them right but answered them wrong on the paper. in the end, i now have my 5th wheel/rec trailer endorsement for my class C and am completely legal for towing my 5th wheel. its also known to DMV and law enforcement as a restriction 41

not hard to obtain, but if you go in to get it or even the non commercial class A, make sure to pay attention if the person behind the counter has a clue or not

Do you need a special endorsement to tow a 5th wheel????

I never knew this / Please eloborate........ :dunno:

Isn't there a driving test also?

A Class C – regular license – can drive a car or truck, up to 26,000 lbs — non commercially. S/he can drive ANY motor home (house car, according to the Cal. Vehicle Code). The Class C driver can only TOW up to 10,000 lbs.

What about all of us with pickup trucks and trailers over 10,000 lbs?

Well, if you have bumper pull trailer over 10,000 lbs, you need a non-commercial class A.

The more common scenario though is the 5th wheel in the 10,000 to 15,000 lb range. These drivers need an endorsement. The endorsement is placed on your license as “Restriction 41.” You go to the DMV, ask for Restriction 41, and take a short written exam based on DMV publication DL648 (http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648.pdf)

freakin AZ folks! yummi has all the info right there for yall

key numbers to pay attention to are your trailers GVWR numbers...

-if your bumper pull trailer or 5th wheel is UP to 10,000lbs GVWR you dont need anything special

-if your bumper pull trailer is 10,001lbs or more you need a non-commercial class A license which includes a drive test with your rig

-if your 5th wheel is 10,001lbs - 15,000lbs you need a 5th wheel/recreational trailer endorsement to your class C license; just a simple written test

-if your 5th wheel is 15,001lbs and up you need a non-commercial class A license

pay close attention to those bolded numbers....

Edited by ElCaminoManT

4 yrs ago when I got my 5th wheel I asked the DMV if I needed any license enhancements for it being 15,000 GVWR. I was told no by the gal on the phone, I had heard I needed something so I pressed her to get a supervisor or manager and confirm, answer, "no sir, if your trailer is only rated for 15K GVWR then you're fine".

If I call now I bet you they'll say the same thing. :sha:

Good for you John, I need to do it too I guess.

Edited by ChuckZilla

thats the problem with the CA dmv, the answer or info you get changes from one person to the next. i just wanted to have my stuff covered and it didnt cost me anything except a lil bit of my time. ill admit, not like i made it a priority seeing as ive had my 5th wheel since august of 2007....

I have had mine for 3 years now and it took a supervisor to understand what I needed but they did not have the tests there. I was given

a short version of the class a test. I passed and she gave me my endoresment.

I will pin this in a couple of days.

Edited by Oldman

I had the same trouble at the Norco DMV. Hard time finding the test. Lady who graded it and tried to enter into the computer said she had NEVER done one before.

She didn't get it right because it didn't show up on my printout. My last trip to the DMV the guy doing my registration corrected her error and now I'm legal.

The guy was very nice about it, he didn't really have to do it. I appreciated it, wish all the DMV staff was that nice.

What type of questions are on this test?

The only place you can get the non-commercial class A is at a DMV that does the commercial class A test. It is basically the same as a commercial class A test except a couple items.

1) You only need to fill out a medical questionnaire (no physical)

2) Shorter version of the written test

The pre-inspection test and driving test are the same.

I started reading this and said WTF are you talking about. It's be a while since I read through that area of the vehicle code and sure a $hit you are correct. This must have been added a few years back when they started the commercial class C crap. I would bet that 99% of the people towing 5th wheels have never heard of this let, alone have the endorsement. Just more B.S. from the state that bought back Jerry Brown.

(3) Class C includes the following:

(ii) A two-axle vehicle weighing 4,000 pounds or more unladen when

towing a fifth-wheel travel trailer exceeding 10,000 pounds, but not

exceeding 15,000 pounds, gross vehicle weight rating, when the

towing of the trailer is not for compensation, and if the person has

passed a specialized written examination provided by the department

relating to the knowledge of this code and other safety aspects

governing the towing of recreational vehicles upon the highway.

The authority to operate combinations of vehicles under this

subparagraph may be granted by endorsement on a class C license upon

completion of that written examination.

Edited by SANDPSYCHO

Go to the DMV website and search for DL648 for the handbook and DL546 for the health questionnaire.

Edited by Dune Carver

This law was pre-Brown. There are no health requirements for the endorsement.

Edited by bagman

I've had mine for a few years now, first the endorsement then a non-com A. CHP can get you for towing out of class.

I think I would almost rather go to jail then go to the DMV.

Edited by SANDPSYCHO

Glad I got my class A.

The only place you can get the non-commercial class A is at a DMV that does the commercial class A test. It is basically the same as a commercial class A test except a couple items.

I just got my non - commercial Class A . Last Nov 2011

For me the pre inspection was different from Non Comm. and Comm.

Commercial you need to know min. Brake rotor and pad thickness and stuff . He tried to tell me I needed to know . I had to correct him and have him ask his stupid-visor. In the end I was correct . There is a different one .

Here is a copy

post-12851-1326163462_thumb.png

All the info is in this hand book ......

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648.pdf

I think the only point I would dispute is the 5er weight. It should be 15k and under when not towing for hire not 10k. Look at the table in the publication ChopShop posted.

I just got my non - commercial Class A . Last Nov 2011

For me the pre inspection was different from Non Comm. and Comm.

Commercial you need to know min. Brake rotor and pad thickness and stuff . He tried to tell me I needed to know . I had to correct him and have him ask his stupid-visor. In the end I was correct . There is a different one .

Here is a copy

How would they know if you're correct or just throwing out some B.S. numbers. Unless all commercial vehicles use the same rotors and pads I would think it would be different for every vehicle.

<<< commercial class a with trailer and air brake endorsements. no haz mat. i tow whatever the hell i want. my weekend warrior aint $h!t.

dont hate me cause im beautiful.

Edited by saychz316

I have a question. I live in Arizona and go to my family's in Nor Cal or to my sand car builders in Riverside. Do I need to get anything special to tow legally in Ca? I have a 5er.

If anyone wants to get their Class A or B I know a guy who knows a guy that has copies of the all the CA tests. They are at least 5 years old bit shouldn't have changed much. Don't know if they are different from the Non Commercial licenses. I can email them, I mean my friend can email them...