Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

doug t

Do You Ever Regret Getting Into This Sport?

I got into this sport from my dad when i was 4. Never looked back. But the money, time it takes for the toys and the weekend, makes me wish sometimes he introduced me into something a little cheaper.

Every spring I go through withdraws when the season is winding down. I look at the money invested in the toys and think about getting out of the sport. At the end of every July, I am looking forward to the upcoming season and can hardly wait to get back out there. I have had this discussion with my wife and the conclusion is always the same. If it wasn't this sport, the money would be spent on some other hobby like my street rod. In the end, it can be an expensive sport but the quality time spent with friends and family is priceless.

Well lets see (I have 3 project cars in the rebuilding on the cheap side)

Bottom fell out of the market (so no hurry to finish them at the moment)

I regret >>> having to pay the extortion fees to play on public land (that goes for boating also)

This sport can be done fairly cheap if you do it the right way. Longer trips help for sure. The majority of $$$ I spend is fuel getting to/from the dunes. $100 each way isnt too bad when you spend a week (or 2) out there at a time.

Only when I have a expensive repair or get stranded somewhere... after everything is back to normal I get over it rreally quick....

I have met some really good folks - so never "regret it" but sometimes I want out. I think I am currently cured of that and have a plan to address why I wanted out. Good to have a plan and looking forward to this coming season.

Everytime I see or here of someone geting hurt or dieing out there I think about what the sport is really worth to me, I have had a family member and close friend pass away at glamis. In the end we come back because there is nowhere like it! It just makes me more careful!

Don't know how many times I've been in and out of this sport since the 70's. Don't know how many sand rails I've owned. Don't know how many trips I've made. Don't know how many SSSS shows I've been to. Don't know how much money I've spent, etc. etc.

But, . . . I do know how much fun I have still doing it, with the kids and now the grandkids, and hopefully someday with the great-grandkids.

Don't know how many times I've been in and out of this sport since the 70's. Don't know how many sand rails I've owned. Don't know how many trips I've made. Don't know how many SSSS shows I've been to. Don't know how much money I've spent, etc. etc.

But, . . . I do know how much fun I have still doing it, with the kids and now the grandkids, and hopefully someday with the great-grandkids.

X2 X2 X2

i go back and forth so many times, but i always come back to it. I dont remember the early years to much, but i do remember being 7 in '79 and going to John Burr motorcycles in fontana with my dad picking up our fl250. They loaded it in the bed of his 70 chevy, strapped me in the seat belts and i fell asleep before we hit Rialto. Its been a blur ever since

X2 X2 X2

X3 but im too young for grandkids. Or great grandkids. Lol

This will be my third season, so I'm a rookie. The first trip to Glamis was with my wife's cousin and family. After the trip, she asked if I was willing to go back? I said I won't go back unless we have toys to ride. The next weekend we bought quads for the family, and started looking for a sand rail. It took about a year and a half to find the builder, financing, and had it built towards the end of the season. We finally got everything we want so we're looking forward to the up and coming season. No Regrets! Hopefully, I can still say it ten years from now

No regrets. The memories and sand family I have made over the years could never be replaced by anything.

Heck no as I get older I don't go as much, because it wipes my body out, my diabetes doesn't help matters. I'm just glad I did a lot of it when I was young, because the memories are priceless. This also goes with going to the lake. Now I keep my equipment ready to go. I went to the dunes 1 time last season and I have been to the lake twice this summer. However now I'm thinking about selling a few things, not all. I want to see other people enjoy it.

I'm 27. Was introduced to Glamis at a young age. Went as a family till I was 12. The at 21 was re introduced. Keep on trying to go and get my fix. I race ATV's so a dune trip usually is out of the question. I want to introduce my Fiance to the dunes, so the racing will be cut back so She can enjoy the dunes.

No regrets other then having to do things on he cheap when I should just wait, save the coin, and do it the way I want. Probably should have bought a complete buggy rather then a bare frame to build myself. But I know every nut, bolt, and weld on my car.

It's a family sport for us. My kids have bikes but also seats in our buggy. It's a family event even when we race. My favorite memory of all my off-roading experiences happened this past January at the Parker 425. My wife and kids were there when we left the start line, were there when we came in for the first and second pit stops at main, and were there at the finish line when we crossed.

No regrets at all.

I never looked back, I always look forward to our next trip to see all our sand family. Through the years I have met some of the nicest people and they have become some of my best friends. You can not put a price tag on the memories we have made out there.........

I've broken my back out there and spent a significant portion of the last 15 years of my income on the sport. No regrets. I could have a killer hotrod or a nicer house. I could have gone a million different ways then where I've been but again, no regrets. The sport, its challenges, and the people I have met along the way are something I can't imagine finding anywhere else.

I started with an 85 ATC and a Nissan pickup moved through quads to a rail and now 2 rails. When everything is working it's great. When it's a hundred degrees in the garage and you have found yet another problem with the wife's car and yours is still in the trailer in need or a once over on the motor and the tranny is hurt yea I have regret. I regret I got to old, fat and worn out to ride quads any more. Should be even hotter in the garage tomorrow :coocoo:

My regret is that I don't make enough cash to comfortably stomach the cost of a trip any more. That and back pain makes the physical part of a trip 3X more work. I still have my toys and my dually will be paid off in 1 more year so maybe a buggy is in my future. THAT will get me excited to go to the dunes. :sha:

You just can't wipe that smile off every time I go! :D Whether it is the desert or Glamis.

this sport as damn near ruined me but you know what? i dont regret it. the experiences, aside from the crashes, have been like no other and the people that i have become great friends with are amazing. ive throttled way back on the trips to the dunes since i crashed last summer and am getting into other off road interests (4x4) but ill always have sand in my veins making glamis a necessity :)

I have "zero" regrets getting into this sport. My first ride was a Honda ATC200 that my parents purchased for me from John Burr in Fontana back in 84 and I use to ride in the riverbed everyday. I moved up to a 2-wheeler for awhile then got out of the sport for 16 years then in 2002 one of my best friends purchased a Yamaha Raptor and thats when it all started again. Purchased a New 2002 Honda 400EX had Trinity set it up with a 440 kit the wife and I purchased a Ragen toyhauler and a 50 for our oldest daughter my other buddy purchased a VW 2-seat beam car and we all headed to Glamis!!!

Now 10 years later our group of friends and family are some of the best people anyone could ask for! We've all purchased multible Quads, Rails, SxS, fifth-wheels, RV's etc....thru the years!

Now with that said; I try not to think too hard about the $$$ spent on this sport / lifestyle because if you really sit down and start adding up all $$$ invested it's pretty crazy but like it was said earlier if not this then it would be that because it's obvious that all of us have it in us to get out and do something with our family and friends one way or another!!

I have met some really good folks - so never "regret it" but sometimes I want out. I think I am currently cured of that and have a plan to address why I wanted out. Good to have a plan and looking forward to this coming season.

<<<< is very happy to hear it. :hello:

More Links

©2001 GlamisDunes.com.
All rights reserved.