JimandMelissa

Mammoth Lakes

Spent 10 days riding around near Mammoth lakes. There's some great trails and riding up there.

P8030755.jpg

P8030754.jpg

P8030726.jpg

P8030721.jpg

P8030720.jpg

P8030713.jpg

P8030710.jpg

P8030709.jpg

P8020664.jpg

P8020650.jpg

P8020647.jpg

P8020642.jpg

P7310615.jpg

P7310614.jpg

P7310606.jpg

P7300588.jpg

P7300586.jpg

P7300579.jpg

Looks like a great time!

Jim -

Was thinking of heading out there in a couple of weeks to go riding. Can you provide some more info on where you went riding out of - trail heads, locations, etc. Also any info on riding a red stickered bike this time of year? All the bikes in our group are green stickered with the exception of one.

Thanks.

Jim -

Was thinking of heading out there in a couple of weeks to go riding. Can you provide some more info on where you went riding out of - trail heads, locations, etc. Also any info on riding a red stickered bike this time of year? All the bikes in our group are green stickered with the exception of one.

Thanks.

Here's a cool map page.

http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/...69/map_4381.htm

We dry camped off Owens River road. I don't know about the red sticker rules for the area but the rangers are cool and you don't see them very often.

Edited by JimandMelissa

That organic coffee/milk shake place its right at the June Lake loop. I have yet to ride up there, it sure looks like fun. Thanks for the pics.

That organic coffee/milk shake place its right at the June Lake loop. I have yet to ride up there, it sure looks like fun. Thanks for the pics.

We made the trip up there one day via Obsidian Dome. Shakes were great. Also did the laurel Lakes trail up to 10,000 feet one day.

Also, we had a bear in camp 3 nights in a row. They're not agressive but probably shouldn't sleep with a bag of Doritos. :sha:

I was up in Mammoth for a week, came home for a couple days, and am on my way up again today.

The weather has been great. Last weekend there was a few thunder showers which was nice to keep the dust down. 2 weeks before there was even a quick dusting of snow. Durning the days its shorts and tshirt weather.

Red stickers are allowed. Need to have spark arresters, Rangers do check at times! Right now there are fire restrictions in place that will likely last thru the dry summer. No campfires are allowed if out dry camping in the woods. When the Ranger does come around he is pretty cool and just wants to make sure you know all the rules. Bears are a problem so don't leave ANY food or trash out even during the day. Also if out riding please be extra mindful of other camps. There are a few old farts they stay all summer who don't like the off road crowd. They like to complain to the Ranger about us.

We're up there all the time. If you happen to see my trailer feel free to stop by for a break, beer, air or water.

Looks like awesome fun. I didn't know you can ride there. Thanks for sharing.

I was up in Mammoth for a week, came home for a couple days, and am on my way up again today.

The weather has been great. Last weekend there was a few thunder showers which was nice to keep the dust down. 2 weeks before there was even a quick dusting of snow. Durning the days its shorts and tshirt weather.

Red stickers are allowed. Need to have spark arresters, Rangers do check at times! Right now there are fire restrictions in place that will likely last thru the dry summer. No campfires are allowed if out dry camping in the woods. When the Ranger does come around he is pretty cool and just wants to make sure you know all the rules. Bears are a problem so don't leave ANY food or trash out even during the day. Also if out riding please be extra mindful of other camps. There are a few old farts they stay all summer who don't like the off road crowd. They like to complain to the Ranger about us.

We're up there all the time. If you happen to see my trailer feel free to stop by for a break, beer, air or water.

That's when we were there. The thunderstorms were cool.

X2

But where is the sand?

Looks awesome!

I'd love to go up there sometime this summer.

looked like fun!! Nice meeting you yesterday!

That's when we were there. The thunderstorms were cool.

Yeah that was a nice change. Came down pretty hard though! How far down Owens River were you? We were off there last week too. It sucks that area had a recent burn but it'll clear up in just a few years. Seen lots of deer in that area, pretty cool.

I see my rhino in those pics, damb I should have went with kyle, well atleast my rhino got to go...

Also, we had a bear in camp 3 nights in a row. They're not agressive but probably shouldn't sleep with a bag of Doritos. :sha:

I did see the one Bear carrying what I thought was a bag of stickers.

IMAG0404.jpg

X2

But where is the sand?

Weather up there is really good, I'll settle for that dirt. :sraptor:

That looks awesome!

can you camp anywhere off owens road and ride from camp or do you have to go to a certian area to unlaod and ride. I just moved to the hanford are from el centro and am looking for a place to go ride and that looks awesome. I spent a week in flagstaf riding around the mormon lake area its dry camping but beautiful

Yes, you can you camp anywhere off Owens road and ride from camp (except privete property). Maps are available at the Ranger Station on the 203 in town. Different maps will show different access for the roads/trails. Carry the map that shows the most off road friendly trails.

where was the first few pictures taken? the ones of the lake. I recognized the later ones at the hot springs.

I am heading up there next saturday august 18 and staying for 2 weeks and through Labor day weekend. We go every year and camp at Mammoth Mountain rv park.

Yes, you can you camp anywhere off Owens road and ride from camp (except privete property). Maps are available at the Ranger Station on the 203 in town. Different maps will show different access for the roads/trails. Carry the map that shows the most off road friendly trails.

Pretty close. If dispersed camping you are supposed to be 2 miles from any established campground or town limits. Big Springs Campground is a Forest Service Campground on Owens River Rd. so just make sure you don't camp withinthise limits. There are a few possible sites that are too close to Big Springs.

I used to think it was a 1 mile out rule, but found he 2 mile rule HERE When I talked to a Ranger earlier this season he confirmed it was 2 miles out.

When looking for a site for dispersed camping it can be tough if you don't already know the area. There are lots of small roads with low trees. Going down these roads in an RV, looking for a spot, you can get stuck with little or no room to turn around. One of my hidden spots is on a small hill with a narrow 1.25mii road to approach. If someones in that spot my trailer is too big to turn around and the basically impossible to back down the road. I normally have to have my wife go scout it out haha. For a first trip up I would consider getting a free spot at an established campground. Glass Creek is an ideal location but can be pretty busy although I like to drive thru an almost always see 2-3 open sites. Glass Creek has lots of families but also some bluehairs at times. Another great site for off roaders is Hartley Springs. It's slightly off the beaten path but a nice, more open campground. You can ride from either of these campgrounds. South to hit the loops closer to Mammoth or north to get a cold beer at the June Lake turn off. :ck:

It's a nice 55 deg outside right now here in Mammoth. A nice change from the heat down south!

Jim -

Thanks.

Here's a cool map page.

http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/...69/map_4381.htm

We dry camped off Owens River road. I don't know about the red sticker rules for the area but the rangers are cool and you don't see them very often.

Jim -

Thanks for the map!

thanks for sharing

Nice!!!