glamispilot

Update On The Ab 1595 Fix

Got This from Nicole @ ASA !!!! Way to go nicole i no you had a big had in this !!

Update on the AB 1595 Fix

I want to provide everyone with an update on the status of the AB 1595 fix. We have a limited window to get any bill passed, so I have been working closely with the Senate and Assembly Transportation Committees on language that can be passed before the legislature adjourns on August 31. I believe I have been able to reach an agreement on two provisions that will guarantee that come January you will still be able to ride with your kids while using aftermarket seats. It will also provide time for a more complete legislative fix next year.

The fix will remove the provision dealing with passengers' feet being required to touch the floorboards and will delay the implementation of the restrictions on aftermarket seats until July 1, 2013. This will give everyone another 11 months to get a more thorough and permanent fix drafted and passed during the next legislative session.

I expect that we will have a bill for this fix by early next week, at which point I will send out an email to all of you with the bill number. I expect this to move through the legislature extremely quickly and should be headed to the governor's desk for signature before the end of session.

I want to thank the American Sand Association, the Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation Division of California's Department of State Parks, the California Off-Road Vehicle Association, and all of the other groups and individuals who have provided assistance to my office in preparing this fix.

Sincerely,

Assemblyman Paul Cook

65th Assembly District

You need to be thanking California State Assembly Member Paul Cook a Republican! Thank You Paul

Edited by rampster

You need to be thanking California State Assembly Member Paul Cook a Republican! Thank You Paul

What for writing this trash in the first place, or changing it street caving to overwhelming public pressure. This fix is crap, the entire bill needs to be trashed.

What for writing this trash in the first place, or changing it street caving to overwhelming public pressure. This fix is crap, the entire bill needs to be trashed.

^^WHat he said.

Don't let your guard down until they actually re-vote on it..

Until then, this is a textbook "stall" method...

Perhaps you are not fully aware of what happened and why. Go back to the thread on AB 1595 posted in the General Discussion forum. I know its rather large, but it provides a account of what, who, and why.

Next, you may want to do some research on Assemblymember Cook. He is not a bad guy at all. He and his staff were essentially "hoodwinked" by the manufactures and since he had not one "nay" vote on the bill in any committee, assembly floor, and senate; he assumed this community was ok with it.

I can tell you that according to my excellent sources, that the lobbyist for ORBA and the coalition of OHV user groups (ASA etc.) had a copy of the legislation HAND DELIVERED by the industry the day day before it was introduced.

As posted by an admin of this site and Board member of ASA in other threads:

1. ASA (nor any other OHV users group) had any idea of this bill until way too much water was under the bridge to do anything about it.

2. ASA had a "frank discussion" with the lobbyist and his excuse in essence was that he emailed ASA when he found out. One a personal note, I'm troubled that after not hearing a thing from ASA the lobbyist did not pick-up the phone and call them; but thats another issue in another thread.

Now, at risk of looking as if I'm attempting to talk down to you - please allow me to provide some political facts.

1. The US Marine Corps is in the process of attempting to take most of Johnson Valley from the BLM OHV Open Area.

2. Assemblymember Cook is running for the Congressional seat that will represent Johnson Valley. Under the new laws for elections in California, there are two republicans in the runoff. Cook is the likely winner of this Congressional district

3. Buck McKeon is the Chairman of the House Armed Services Committee. He supports Cook. Most of the political establishment supports Cook.

4. Buck McKeon's committee is a key decisionmaking body that can control if or not Congress will allow this take from Johnson Valley OHV Open Area.

Given all the above, is it in our best overall OHV community interest to "urinate" on this legislation and its "author", when indeed the facts show that he was not aware of any opposition (because the lobbyist dropped the ball) and has the potential to help us retain the largest OHV Open Area in the California Desert District?

This reminds me of the quote: "We have met the enemy, and he is us" (Walt Kelly circa 1950's)

Edited by APHANTOMDUCK

In fewer words, we can't change the past but only the future. If we are going to help out the off road community in the future we need to engage with people such as Paul Cook to help us. Peace out.

Kawasaki was a sponsor of the bill and helped write it. I will never buy another kawasaki product again, they are forcing us to wear helmets instead of stepping up and putting in proper harnesses in their machines. Shame on you Kawasaki!

Tell Kawasaki and mr cook how you feel about the bill

http://www.kawasaki.com/OurCompany/Contact...rm.aspx?sub=prd

assemblymember.cook@assembly.ca.gov

Feedback sent.

Thanks for the links.

Thanks for the update!

Kawasaki was a sponsor of the bill and helped write it. I will never buy another kawasaki product again, they are forcing us to wear helmets instead of stepping up and putting in proper harnesses in their machines. Shame on you Kawasaki!

So that you are aware, Kawasaki was not the only sponsor of the bill.

The Recreational Off-Highway Vehicle Association (ROHVA) was formed to promote the safe and responsible use of recreational off-highway vehicles (ROVs) manufactured or distributed in North America. ROHVA is accredited by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) to develop a standard for the equipment, configuration and performance requirements of ROVs. Based in Irvine, Calif., the not-for-profit trade association is sponsored by Arctic Cat, BRP, John Deere, Kawasaki, Polaris, and Yamaha.

Honda is not a part of this group, so it looks as if you are able to purchase a Big Red if you are inclined to purchase a new ROV.

And... if you do a bit of research on this issue, you will find that most of the bill was essentially written by the US Consumer Product Safety Commission under their findings and recommendations in the past few years.

If this law (or some version of it) was not undertaken, the manufactures may have very well been forced to quit making the vehicle type when the CPSC inacted regulations that would VASTLY change the ROV design requirements to something along the lines of the Big Red.

Edited by APHANTOMDUCK

Feedback sent.

Thanks for the links.

x2

Kawasaki lead the way and is the only directly attached to bill.

They were all involved, at least Kawi didn't hide behind an ORG!!!

They were all involved, at least Kawi didn't hide behind an ORG!!!

But if I only blame and bitch about only Kawasaki then I can still go out and buy an XP or WildCat and not be a complete douche. :sarcasm:

How about not buy any of them! Maybe have an American business build you a 2 seat sandrail with 20" of wheel travel, a real engine with power, suspension seats and real harnesses. All for the same price as one of these ROV with sand tires and all the other crap you have to put on them to keep from being hurt when they roll down a dune. Just thinking out loud. :dunno:

Edited by SANDPSYCHO

Wow. I'm looking at some of the posts to this thread and wonder if some here have a concept of what is going on and really read what others have posted. The reality of what is going on is clearly spelled-out in this and other similar theads.

PLEASE... go back and read my post in reply # 7 to get a most up-to-date account of what and why things happened the way they did and the politics behind the bigger picture.

Calling Kawasaki and bitching about this is a complete waste of time. They, along with the other manufactures, are fully aware of the issues raised on this and other forums. CORVA has been working with the author's office for over a week on addressing some of the issues. The author is working with CORVA and perhaps ASA on getting the industry to agree with a bill that will address some of the concerns.

The CPSC is running the show. They are the ones demanding laws such as AB 1595. The vehicle type is at risk. The manufactures are attempting to save the vehicle type for our use. The manufactures HAND DELIVERED a copy of the bill to most of the OHV groups lobbyist the day before it "hit the desk". ORBA is also a client of the same lobbyist. ORBA was brought into a meeting with the OHV Division and was aware of the bill long before it was Chaptered as the law.

What part of what I've provided don't some here understand???

As I've posted before: "We have met the enemy, and he is us"

Please attempt to understand how we got here and be a part of the solution to the degree we can influence the outcome. Bitching an whining about what happened - at this point in the game - does NOTHING to advance our concerns. CORVA and ASA are doing their best to resolve the issues that can be agreed upon.

Contact the groups above and support the same. They are here to help in the best way they can. They have the ear of both the legislature and the manufactures and will only be successful if we support their efforts.

We need the mfg.'s to step up and make safer machines with real harnesses that hold the passenger in during a rollover. A helmet rule for under 18 is okay but anything past that is nonsense.

FIND YOU STATE REPRESENTATIVES

http://192.234.213.69/amapsearch/

Paul Cook Assemblymen & author of the bill (Let them know if this is not fixed you will support Gregg Imus for Congress!)

909-790-4196 main office

916-319-2065 Capitol office

V Manuel Perez 80th district Assemblymen (Imperial Valley & Glamis)

760-336-8912 El Centro office (They need more calls!)

916-319-2080 Capitol office (They need more calls!)

Brian Jones 77th district Assemblymen (San Diego County including Anza Borrego & Cleveland National Forest) (Off-Roader himself)

619-441-2322 Santee office

916-319-2077 Capitol office

Juan Vargas District 40 Senator (Cleveland National forest, Anza Borrego & Glamis)

619-409-7690 Chula Vista Office

760-335-3442 El Centro office

916-651-4040 Capitol office

Tim Donnelly District 36 Assemblymen (Hemet, Lucerne valley) OHV Supporter

760-244-5277 Hesperia office

916-319-2059 Capitol Office

Joel Anderson District 36 Senator (El Cajon, Temecula, Cleveland National Forest) OHV Supporter

619-596-3136 El Cajon office

Congressmen Bob Filner 51st district (San Diego, El Centro, Superstition, Glamis, Salton Sea)

(619) 422-5963 San Diego office

(760) 355-8800 Imperial Valley office

(202) 225-8045 Capitol

Assemblymen Connie Conway (San Bernardino)

(559) 636-3440 Main office (Needs more calls)

(916) 319-2034 Capitol office

Senator Bill Emerson (District 37 Riverside County)

(760) 568-0408 Palm Desert office (Needs more calls)

(916) 651-4037 Capitol office (Needs more calls)

Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)

Open 10:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m Eastern Time

800-514-0301 (Long automated message, Dial 7 for assistance)

Or (202) 307-0663

I posted this in one of the other threads as well, but this is what I got back from Kawasaki

Thank you for your engagement on this important issue. Kawasaki is aware of incorrect information posted on the internet that indicates we were a direct sponsor or otherwise took a leading role on California Assembly Bill 1595. To clear-up any confusion on this matter, we would like to share the following facts on this subject:

Kawasaki and all other major recreational “Side x Side” manufacturers are members of the Recreational Off-Highway Vehicle Association (ROHVA)

ROHVA was formed to promote the safe and responsible use of recreational off-highway vehicles (ROVs) manufactured or distributed in North America. ROHVA is accredited by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) to develop a standard for the equipment, configuration and performance requirements of ROVs. Based in Irvine, Calif., the not-for-profit trade association is sponsored by Arctic Cat, BRP, John Deere, Kawasaki, Polaris, and Yamaha.

ROHVA and all of its OEM members supported California Assembly Bill 1595.

Kawasaki took no additional actions in relation to this issue.

ROHVA issued a clarifying statement on their website, dated July 31, indicating that all OEM members supported their action in regards to AB1595.

Kawasaki has posted a statement on our corporate website indicating our recognition of customer concerns and clarifying our limited role in AB1595.

The Kawasaki statement is posted at: kawasaki.com/NewsEvents/AwardsReviews_general.aspx

The ROHVA statement is located online at: www.rohva.org/PressRoom.aspx

Sincerely,

Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A.

Just received this update from Cook's office.

Second Update on the AB 1595 Fix

I just wanted to give everyone an update and a timeline for the AB 1595 fix. We were able to secure a bill to use as a vehicle for fixing AB 1595 this week. The new bill will become eligible for amendments on Tuesday, so the amended language should be in print and available for you to read online on Wednesday (August 22).

I'll send out an update to everyone with a bill number and a link to where you can read the language of the fix on Wednesday. My office has worked with the Transportation committees in the Senate and Assembly and I believe they will waive holding a hearing on the bill. This means that it will be voted on directly on the Senate floor, possibly as early as next Friday. Following that vote, it will move over to the Assembly where it will be voted on sometime during the final week of session (The week of August 27-31). From there it will move on to the Governor for signature.

I want to thank all of you again for your input so far and I'll keep you all in the loop as the fix moves forward.

Sincerely,

Assemblyman Paul Cook

65th Assembly District

(Let them know if this is not fixed you will support Gregg Imus for Congress!)

How eff'en stupid is this statement?

A wonderful idea; hold a political person who is working with this community to fix the problem open to extortion if he does not get it done.

Do you not have a clue to what is at stake here? Do you understand the big picture?

The credible org's are working with Cook to get it done. They are not providing that anyone make calls or letters to your list. What are your qualifications to ask folks to do something that is not needed at this time?

I sent a letter to kawi as well. I want manufactures to know its not ok to add legislation in what is already a huge mess. We need less government not more. The LEO's already can't keep up with all the laws & that just frustrates the people who get the citations. I'm sure the Eco-extremists love the fact that we are wasting our time with this instead of fighting them.

CORVA and ASA are doing their best to resolve the issues that can be agreed upon.

Contact the groups above and support the same. They are here to help in the best way they can. They have the ear of both the legislature and the manufactures and will only be successful if we support their efforts.

Thanks for the support.

Is appreciated.