Sign in to follow this  
Crowbar

Veterans Day In Glamis

Friends,

Veterans Day is an official United States holiday honoring armed service veterans. It is a federal holiday that is observed on November 11. It coincides with other holidays such as Armistice Day or Remembrance Day, which are celebrated in other parts of the world and also mark the anniversary of the signing of the Armistice that ended World War I. (Major hostilities of World War I were formally ended at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918 with the German signing of the Armistice.)

As many of you know, we go to the flagpole in the dunes every Saturday of Veterans Day Weekend to pay our respects to Old Glory by retiring the flag that has flown there for a whole year and to put in place a new flag to fly for the next year.

We like to share a few words with our friends to acknowledge all the Veterans that are present for this. If you know of any Veterans who have not been present for this, you are encouraged to bring them with you.

Many of our friends have asked if there are t-shirts available to commemorate this experience. Something that many of you like to wear to show your support of our veterans and a small token that helps you to remember the sacrifices that are made to support our freedoms. My understanding is that there are some, and will be available for a small donation.

If you plan to be present for this, please plan on being at the flagpole by 10:30am Saturday, Novemebr 10th.

Since the birthday of the Marine Corp coincides with Veterans Day, we will again have the cutting of the Marine Corp birthday cake at 6:30pm at our camp in Wash 22 on Saturday, November 10th.

I am looking forward to sharing this time with you all as it is always a very touching and moving experience. In the spirit of Veterans Day, and all of its meaning that we share, ALL ARE WELCOME!

Edited by Crowbar

Who will be selling the t-shirts? And how can order some?

Who will be selling the t-shirts? And how can order some?

no ordering, first come first served.....not selling, just taking a donation.

What time is the ride leaving your camp?

Deb and I will be at both ceremonies. We're both Veterans, and wouldn't miss this year for nothing. (at least things are pointing in the right direction for us this year)

We will bring food if that's ok, to share that is. I have 6 racks of smoked ribs, already cooked and frozen in vacuum bags. Just need about an hour on the grill, and that's done. Deb was thinking of potato salad. Let me know if this is ok, or something else, if needed, or whatever.

Thanks,

Tank and Deb

^^^^ New safety rules require food tasting by a certified fatty prior to sharing with any prior or current members of the service - drop them off at my house and I will ensure they are safe for consumption. I will PM my address.

Deb and I will be at both ceremonies. We're both Veterans, and wouldn't miss this year for nothing. (at least things are pointing in the right direction for us this year)

We will bring food if that's ok, to share that is. I have 6 racks of smoked ribs, already cooked and frozen in vacuum bags. Just need about an hour on the grill, and that's done. Deb was thinking of potato salad. Let me know if this is ok, or something else, if needed, or whatever.

Thanks,

Tank and Deb

Sure, you can share all the food you want! I believe that I need to offically taste all the food you bring first to make sure it good for everyone. :lick:

YEEEHHHAAWWWW, WELL SAID CROWBISCUIT, YOU IS DA MAN.

A favorite time of year, and no doubt the most slapptacious weekend of da year. Celebrating and honoring the folks that have served and are serving in the United States armed forces. It just makes Slap geek-out when he thinks of it. Y'all be safe, look out for one another, and go with a smile on your face and a song in your heart.

:ck:

Edited by Crowbar

It will be here soon, hope to see some new faces out there, and all the old ones as well ........

<--- Has old face, but no ride to the pole..

I am sure someone will hook you up, I have no room or would have offered already ......... Ask Cheff, he will ride ya on the back of his quad ..... :sha:

this is to be left un-pinned please.

Jd, we're in wash 6, and I would be absolutely honored if you would ride with us. I have a 4 seater, and right now, it's me and Deb. So there, make it to wash 6, or tell me where you are, and whamo!!!

This will be my first year going out to the flag pole ceremony, pretty stoked to be a part of it. Don't know if anyone in our group has been to the flag pole. So hopefully we will be able to find it!

This will be my first year going out to the flag pole ceremony, pretty stoked to be a part of it. Don't know if anyone in our group has been to the flag pole. So hopefully we will be able to find it!

We're in the same "boat", so to speak. But we will have family that has been going to G for almost 40 years. We're in wash 6, orange car, big fat guy with a gray beard driving it, named Tank. Find us for a group ride to the pole, and possibly a cold beverage.

Tank

We're in the same "boat", so to speak. But we will have family that has been going to G for almost 40 years. We're in wash 6, orange car, big fat guy with a gray beard driving it, named Tank. Find us for a group ride to the pole, and possibly a cold beverage.

Tank

I'll see if anyone in our group knows how to get there, if not I might come by your camp and tag along to the pole. We will probably be camping behind vendor row on the flats. So if you head that way, don't hesitate to come by. You won't be able to miss my truck, I'm probably gonna be one of the few with a camper on it!

how about olds south park say meet at 930 sat am and then to the flag pole ????????

i will be there....

On a side Note...I wanna say Thank you in advance to the handful of people who have worked for months and months on making this happen...I was PROUD to be a small part of it.....You all ROCK!!!!!!!!

Edited by SandTrap

how about olds south park say meet at 930 sat am and then to the flag pole ????????

this is a great idea. For anyone who doesn't know how to get to the flagpole meet Devin (red XP900) on the little hill just to the left of OLDS and he will lead you there.

We won't be attending this year, but to anyone that is thinking, considering, or on the fence, GO TO THE EVENT!!!!!!!!!! Even if you don't know a single soul on GD.com yet, you will leave Glamis after this event with a bunch of new friends and the ceremony at the flagpole is something that is sacred and makes me tear up just thinking about all those brave men and women that step up and are individually honored. THANK YOU to all of our Veterans out there AND a big shout out to the hard working Slap Army members that put this together every year! :hug::cheers: We are bummed we aren't going but hopefully the Rhino will be back together soon and y'all will see us soon!

As to the food, there is usually a potluck of sorts in Wash 22 as well. ;)

this is a great idea. For anyone who doesn't know how to get to the flagpole meet Devin (red XP900) on the little hill just to the left of OLDS and he will lead you there.

Which direction is the flagpole if you were sitting at the base of olds??

Which direction is the flagpole if you were sitting at the base of olds??

south.

Also for any noobs meeting Devin @ Olds, most of us GD.com folks fly a GD.com flag with the logo on it, helpful to spot peeps. :cheers: