tstucky

Used Dmax 03-06

Been looking around at used Dmax's lately because I'm thinking about making the switch to a TH in the next few years. Currently run a moho/enclosed setup that we love, but have 2 small kids and may move to a TH.. Frankly, the more I read about 'em the more I'm skeptical about buying one. I'll be selling my 04 2500hd gasser and don't want to shell out a bunch of money so I'm looking at 03-06's. It won't be daily driven, mostly just hauling bikes to the desert/track and occasionally towing my enclosed. In the last 6 years I've put 30k on the truck I have now and the Dmax would probably see less than that.

Anyway, the injector situation seems bad.. Did they finally have it worked out by the time the LBZ came out or do those still have issues? My truck has literally never been to the shop or missed a beat since I've owned it and I know I'm spoiled, but 60k on a set of injectors (at ~4k) a pop doesn't seem all that good to me. Right now for literally nothing out of pocket (trading in mine) I can pick up an 03 that's basically my exact truck but with a Duramax and 150k on the clock, but I'm really hesitant with the injector issue. I'm not sure whether they've been replaced and I won't be adding many miles but I'm super skeptical.. There are a ton of them running around out there and everyone seems to love their truck and engine.

What's the straight scoop?? Those of you with LB7 and LLY's, would you buy the same truck again or should I just wait for prices to fall/miles to run up a bit on the LMM's and pick one up a year or two from now. I'm in no rush, but there are a lot of nice used trucks out there right now so there's plenty to choose from. Thanks for the opinions.

Tim

I have to say, after my business partner and I owning four Duramax's in the 03-06 range, the ONLY complaint we had was the injectors. We could count on new injectors every 60K miles, however we never had to pay for them. GM always replaced them under warrantee, even on the 03 with over 120K on the clock (they replaced them twice on that truck). We sold that truck with 175K on it and the injectors were still doing OK when we sold it.

We had one friend with an 04 that replaced his injectors at 75K with aftermarket injectors. I don't know what injectors he used, and he did the replacement himself (he's a diesel repair guy). He still has the truck, currently with 255K on it, with those same aftermarket injectors. So there appears to be a solution.

We currently run an 08 and an 09 and still love the trucks.

Good luck with your search!

Been looking around at used Dmax's lately because I'm thinking about making the switch to a TH in the next few years. Currently run a moho/enclosed setup that we love, but have 2 small kids and may move to a TH.. Frankly, the more I read about 'em the more I'm skeptical about buying one. I'll be selling my 04 2500hd gasser and don't want to shell out a bunch of money so I'm looking at 03-06's. It won't be daily driven, mostly just hauling bikes to the desert/track and occasionally towing my enclosed. In the last 6 years I've put 30k on the truck I have now and the Dmax would probably see less than that.

Anyway, the injector situation seems bad.. Did they finally have it worked out by the time the LBZ came out or do those still have issues? My truck has literally never been to the shop or missed a beat since I've owned it and I know I'm spoiled, but 60k on a set of injectors (at ~4k) a pop doesn't seem all that good to me. Right now for literally nothing out of pocket (trading in mine) I can pick up an 03 that's basically my exact truck but with a Duramax and 150k on the clock, but I'm really hesitant with the injector issue. I'm not sure whether they've been replaced and I won't be adding many miles but I'm super skeptical.. There are a ton of them running around out there and everyone seems to love their truck and engine.

What's the straight scoop?? Those of you with LB7 and LLY's, would you buy the same truck again or should I just wait for prices to fall/miles to run up a bit on the LMM's and pick one up a year or two from now. I'm in no rush, but there are a lot of nice used trucks out there right now so there's plenty to choose from. Thanks for the opinions.

Tim

05-07 were good years if I remember right. I would stay away from the early years. The injectors are more complex to change out.. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I have an early 06 2500HD 2WD CC LB Dmax. It's the LLY but not the same as the 04.5-05 LLY. It's my daily driver and I have 178,000 miles on it. I replaced #4 & #8 injectors at 96,000 miles. Been trouble free ever since. I've done a ton of mods to it but it was bone stock for the first 100,000 miles.

Watch out for the LLY overheat problems.. I had one that overheated all the time when towing.. after i blew it up and put in a newer block it has been great

Capt

Thanks for the opinions guys. Sounds like pretty much everyone has had done issues with theirs and it is what it is. I'll really just check on age since last replacement and start an ' injector replacement' fund with any truck I pickup. Sounds like an 06 with an lbz or 05 may be the way to go?? But man, the prices are sure right on some of the earlier ones!

Guest Katherinejjm

a great site,many useful information!

smile.jpg

sad.jpg

I have an '04 with the LB7. I love my truck, with the exception of the injectors. I have had it in for injector work 5 times. I currently have 96K on it, and was told that even my extended warranty is done and the dealer will no longer cover any repairs. That sucks.

Next time they need to be replaced, I'm going after market and doing the job myself.

My advice, is skip the LB7.

I got a 06 with 150,000 miles and the only issue i had was i had to put new batteries and change out 2 glow plugs.

Go on dieselplace.com they have a thread on this very topic.It was a while back when I seen it.I think they said the 06 was the best year.Good luck.

Go on dieselplace.com they have a thread on this very topic.It was a while back when I seen it.I think they said the 06 was the best year.Good luck.

Yep! Also check duramaxfourms.com.

01-04 lb7 have injector problems. 04.5-05 lly some overheat. 06-07 lbz considered the best. That being said I personally have a 05 lly with 110,000 and haven't had any overheating problems.

Not a D-Max guy but from what I hear the 07.5 is the best to get. Could be wrong.

I'll go back to power Powerstrokearmy now.

Stay away from the new ones.. Smog stuff is nothing but problems

Capt

Late 05 or 06 with the 6 speed tranny is the way to go. The deals on the LB7 dont make up for the cost of new set of injectors.

Stay away from the new ones.. Smog stuff is nothing but problems

Capt

It's really easy to delete the smog junk, and GM has all the issues with the early DEF trucks ('11) figured out now. The guys that were having problems are all good to go now, and any truck you pick up now will have the fixes. The new trucks ('11+) have a lot of major improvements. But it sounds like those are out of the OP's price range anyway.

The best advice in getting a used D'max is to get a '06-07 (early '07, not a '07.5 New Body Style) LBZ. You get the six speed Allison and you don't have the overheating or injector issues of the earlier generations but being the Old Body Style (OBS) and a bit older the prices should be a lot more reasonable. "Duramax guys" know that '06-07 are sort of the magic years so when they sell them they ask a lot more, but your average dealership has no idea.

Just doing a quick search on CraigsList I see a few LBZs in my area from the mid 20s to mid 30s.

-TJ

Edited by tjZ06

I've got a 04 LLY D-Max, Bought it brand new and it still runs great. Put a Edge programmer with straight exhaust, aftermarket air- intake (no cat) only 52K miles on it . Put my 12" lift on it at 2000 Miles. It was the 2nd Cognito kit Outlaw Offroad did when these kits came out. UPgraded the kit to new Uniball upper arms but other then that it's been flawless. Only problems have been batteries. Pretty much my fault for never driving it.

My '04 LB7 has nearly 135k on the factory injectors. They haven't lived a nice life by any means..

They don't ALL have injector issues.

I have an '04 with the LB7. I love my truck, with the exception of the injectors. I have had it in for injector work 5 times. I currently have 96K on it, and was told that even my extended warranty is done and the dealer will no longer cover any repairs. That sucks.

Next time they need to be replaced, I'm going after market and doing the job myself.

My advice, is skip the LB7.

Me too.. An '04 model, made in aug '03. Just bit the bullet, on injectors, pump, and press, reg module. 4th time $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ 150k miles. First three times were covered by warranty, but it really stinks having your truck in the shop for a few days every time.

Thanks for the advice guys.. Its tempting to just pick up an lb7 with how little I'll be driving it but I'm not in any hurry so I think I'll just wait for an 06 with the lbs.. Now I'll wait for that 4x4 lt longbed to pop up for the right price! Thanks again guys.

How big a trailer you plan to tow would be the first ?.Will you need a diesel for the towing?

If up to a 26ftr i would just keep the gasser.

I have an 04 lb7. Only had injectors once, under warranty at 180k. Truck now has over 220k. Only had a FPR and water pump for repairs. (truck has NO emissions BS) The newer style injectors are better, but filters and lube seem to play a big part.

The truck currently has a built trans(Inglewood), dual fuelers and a gt42r turbo. I drive it everyday on a mild 220hp tune, but also run a lube of some sort in it. ALWAYS.

I will change the topend to LLY heads once we build a motor with Carrillo's. LLY's are almost plug and play to the 03-04 LB7's.(01-02 stand alone) You can even go to lbz motor/topend swap.

the 12's and up are supposed to pull like a freight train. chassis/brakes and motor is supposed to be the best of all time.

new bodystyle trucks in 14/15?

Thats all I know.

the 12's and up are supposed to pull like a freight train. chassis/brakes and motor is supposed to be the best of all time.

new bodystyle trucks in 14/15?

Thats all I know.

'11-13 are the same (LML). I run my LML on a 450RWHP/900RWTQ tune all the time, including towing my WW. I haven't even played with the 500/1000 tune because I just don't need it. Some guys that run that tune are losing rail pressure on the big end in the 1/4 mi and nobody has a modded CP4.2 pump yet, though a few say they are very close. Stock it was still a beast (I think most stock ones are dyno'in about 360/660 if I recall) and the emissions stuff is actually pretty seamless (no power loss when towing and it regens like the f3rds). Still, deletes and a tune should be considered mandatory, it makes it a whole new truck.

Sorry for the off topic OP.

-TJ