Dirt D O Double G

How Do I Tighten A Chain On A 2002 Honda 400ex?

anyone...anyone...buehler...anyone?

any help is appreciated. beer.gif

Loosen the nuts on the end of the swingarm that clamp it to the bearing carrier.

Insert round metal rod (or screw driver) into holes on carrier (between the sprocket hub and the side of the swingarm), push or pull to tighten or lossen.

Re-tighten bolts on swing arm.

Roost away.

user posted image

thanks, man....i hope its as easy as you made it sound. icon_surprised.gif

just did it!!!!! the chain is tight as a drum now. ok, thats a six pack...lets go for a 12 pack...how do i remove the spark plug and do i need to calibrate it?

If your crafty you CAN get a socket over the spark plug without removing the gas tank.

I generally don't gap them but you can check it with teh proper number in your manual.

Lets make it a bottle of JD instead ok? laughing.gificon_wink.gif

make sure it isnt too tight. there is such thing as too tight and too loose. icon_wink.gif

and ill settle for a 22oz of the beer mentioned below.

TRUE TRUE, TOO TIGHT IS NO BUENO.

ISNT THERE A SPARK PLUG "WRENCH" IN THE TOOL KIT THAT FITS IN THERE!?!?

ISNT THERE A SPARK PLUG "WRENCH" IN THE TOOL KIT THAT FITS IN THERE!?!?

The stock wrench is what I use. That dam thing is buried deep inside so blow the hole out first so crap doesn’t fall into the cylinder when you pull the plug. And maybe I’m just annual but I always check the gap on a new plug.

Just changed the plug yesterday. Easy to do!!!! Man, I'm saving some kaysh on doing my own maintenance. Bottles of Jack for everyone!!!!!!!

Hey Dirt -

Did you check your sprockets front and rear before making your chain tighter?? Make sure the teeth are looking good and not like grandmas (missing a few here and there).. icon_wink.gif

Yeah dont tighten it too tight, because if its really tight when ya compress the rear suspension it will get even tighter, and if it gets any tighter then it is now if its really tight it could brake or the suspension wont work,

i was told to have someone sit on the rear of the bike compressing the shock as much as possible, then ya tighten the chain but only so tight, ya want a little bit of play in, like 1/2"-1" of movement from the bottom i believe

someone back me up icon_wink.gif

warrior manual states 1-1 1/2 inches of play at the middle of the chain from teh back sprocket to the front sprocket... hope that helps a little bit... icon_biggrin.gif

ive always been taught to have someone sit on it who weighs about the same as you, or a little heavier, and then tighten away. it should have about and inch-inch-n-a-half of play.

no JD for me icon_smile.gif

holy crap...i tightened it to about 1/4" play. i'm gonna go back and loosen it a little, then.

On 9/29/2004 at 11:25 AM, Mike330R said:

Loosen the nuts on the end of the swingarm that clamp it to the bearing carrier.

Insert round metal rod (or screw driver) into holes on carrier (between the sprocket hub and the side of the swingarm), push or pull to tighten or lossen.

Re-tighten bolts on swing arm.

Roost away.

user posted image

What he said...

On 10/4/2004 at 2:22 PM, Dirt D O Double G said:

holy crap...i tightened it to about 1/4" play. i'm gonna go back and loosen it a little, then.

That is too tight.

Drop the front sprocket 1 tooth, put on a reprogrammed ignition module, nice 2 Bros pipe (not a Big Gun)  and run 22" haulers, have fun!!!!

Also it will work alot better in rocks and desert.  

Talking from experience

Wow, a 14+ year old thread, really.

btw, I thought dirt o double g was back :)

22 minutes ago, whoopsadaisy said:

Wow, a 14+ year old thread, really.

btw, I thought dirt o double g was back :)

Shit I was a young man in 04 !!!...  thanks Crusty !!!:(  my son at GD Pismo  invasion !

EEFA6F59-1E79-4102-9CCD-D8252E682C12.jpeg