Freightliner chassis. Today was a " how in the world does this happen" Moment. Studs spinning in drums??

I don’t know anybody that actually measures torque on those big studs. I run em down as tight as they’ll go with a 1” gun with 200psi behind it. I don’t really think over torquing is actually a thing with those.  

10 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

I don’t know anybody that actually measures torque on those big studs. I run em down as tight as they’ll go with a 1” gun with 200psi behind it. I don’t really think over torquing is actually a thing with those.  

Well..... There is a torque spec. We were talking the same though as far as how do you over torque it.. But how do you explain 4 of 8 pulled threads at one wheel? Odd for sure.

2 hours ago, Rorschach said:

i was going to say the same thing.   i did work for a bus company and my job was to retorque  the lug nut with a 6 ft torque and apply the torque seal [orange paint]

2 hours ago, onanysunday said:

Well..... There is a torque spec. We were talking the same though as far as how do you over torque it.. But how do you explain 4 of 8 pulled threads at one wheel? Odd for sure.

cheap steal nut and rust. glad you were able to find your nuts

• Like 1

the old school 1” air wrench did over torque the nuts but not by that much but the new 1” guns hit way harder and over torque the studs way easier and faster. the guys that have been doing tires for years have started breaking studs.

my local big name tire shop now requires the nuts to get final torque with a clicker torque wrench as broken studs were becoming a big liability 

• Like 1