megadesertdiesel

Led Lightbar Quandry, Yup I Got It Now

i have always been saving for a Rigid lightbar but recently i seen a Totron lightbar in action and i really liked it. I even found a sweet deal on them which makes it even more tempting.

I want to use 3 lightbars on my roof with an actuator, i want it setup to give me 180* of light or close to that. I love to dune fast at night.

The Rigid E series i can get 25,280 lumens with an amperage usage of 21.38 at 295 watts, cost $1707 plus some tax.

The Totron DC lights put out 25,920 lumens with an amperage usage of 21.4 at 324 watts, cost $600 shipped to me.

with the Totron i can get them for 1/3 the cost of Rigid with a 5 year warranty.

Now i have always wanted to support Taylor at Rigid since i met him way back in the Rhino days, but the price is killing this regular joe.

For a recrerational dune rider light is light and i am sure a few Walmart halogen lights would work but look like ass. So i am leanning towards cheating on Rigid and buying some Totron lights.

what say you?

Edited by megadesertdiesel

I thought the same, and after giving the totron a try I don't regret it!

I say you get the Torton LED bars. If you have seem them in action and you like the light output then there is no reason to spend the extra cash. You can get 3 of the Torton LED bars for the price of the rigid. Sure the Rigid is going to be a better quality light, but if you ruin a $600 light bar it hurts a lot less than destroying a $1,700 light bar.

There are a lot of people in SXSs using the Torton bars and all seem to be happy.

IMO the only issue I have seen with the less expensive LED Lightbars other than they are made in China and we have no idea of long term warranty and reliably is whether they have a Polycarbonate lens like Rigid or is it tempered glass?. Tempered glass will shatter from a small rock and yes if it shatters you can buy another 2 for the price of the Rigid, but it still puts it out of commission for a while.

Some really cheap ones from ebay have Poly, some more expensive ones are just tempered glass - you just have to ask --- FWIW

Edited by fullthrottleguy

FWIW Rigids lights are also made in China. Also Totron is not the actual manufacturer of their lights even though everybody thinks they are. I sell them and think they are a very nice light for the money.

Like Jim Said, Rigid is assembled here in the US, but the parts of most of all the lightbars available are made oversea's. Most of the newest Totron bars have PETG lens's wich is a cross between acrylic and polycarbonate. I can replace the lens in most all of the lightbars with polycarbonate pretty cheaply though.

If you want the absolute best and don't worry about cost, go with the Baja Designs.

Edited by MGM/FRP

good insight guys. I think i am gonna drop the $600 and get some light for my Maverick, sorry Rigid.

good insight guys. I think i am gonna drop the $600 and get some light for my Maverick, sorry Rigid.

How much night riding do you do ? If not too much, maybe consider converting the stock headlights to HID and call it good. Save the other $550 for something else.

How much night riding do you do ? If not too much, maybe consider converting the stock headlights to HID and call it good. Save the other $550 for something else.

enough night riding to warrant LED lights. I have the headlights taken care of already.

655f48807cdc79261a5bb4afb09eee28_zpsf4f0e4a0.jpg

enough night riding to warrant LED lights. I have the headlights taken care of already.

How do you like those LED lights in the stock location?

How do you like those LED lights in the stock location?

they work awesome! use less power and put out alot more light. I sell the adapter kits on ebay.

Why'd you get a bacation on maverick forums?

Here is the one I went with, awesome light and seems to be equal quality to the high dollar ones. And you can get 3 of them for $419.94 delivered!!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360716144618?ssPag...984.m1423.l2649

good price, but epistar leds are a little older technology. the ones i am looking at are CREE bulbs.

i was tired of the newbs not using the search function before asking questions that have been answered a million times. And one pansy could not handle my calling him out.

i was tired of the newbs not using the search function before asking questions that have been answered a million times. And one pansy could not handle my calling him out.

BAD MIKE, BAD!!! :wg:

Here is the one I went with, awesome light and seems to be equal quality to the high dollar ones. And you can get 3 of them for $419.94 delivered!!!!

good price, but epistar leds are a little older technology. the ones i am looking at are CREE bulbs.

I have been to the factory that makes those, I saw them being made there - I used the same CM to make some of my aluminum extrusions - The Epistars are Cree knockoffs made in Taiwan. The Cree chips are what Rigid and other guys use - they are made in the US and get shipped to China to be put on the PCB's like everything else you buy. Epistars just go from Taiwan to China. Only thing I know is that with all of them you have design the cooling right or the prematurely burn up The big difference in quality I can tell you is that if you used a CM(contract manufacturer) they build to your spec (like Rigid) and use silver solder and better wire, instead of them using their own quality and lowest cost pieces. I have to say thou that the quality looked ok to me when I was there given the workers make $110 a month...

I would buy a non Rigid from someone on the board myself - this way you will have someone that stands behind the product.

OTrying to do things on a budget, but not cut corners on performance and quality. I went with this 30" light bar

http://bit.ly/18LOBLX

Asked for the spot/flood combo. This light bar was damn near identical to the dual row rigid and lit the dunes up like a football game in a stadium!!!! Got that and the $18 wire harness and switch and installed it. Lit the dunes up something crazy for thanksgiving week at night in the dunes. $200 shipped. Cree LEDs (not epistar). Warranty and ship direct from Los Angeles for free. Why the hell not!

When you get yours let me know. Id like to compare, if you can tell the difference ill buy you a beer! I would think a 3w LED is a 3w LED

I have to say thou that the quality looked ok to me when I was there given the workers make $110 a month...

Wow, 110 a month???

Has anyone had experience with Lifetime Led. They supposely have a lifetime warranty.

http://www.lifetimeledlights.com/Off-Road-Lights_c_8.html

read the fine print, the led itself is all that is covered

I had a customer that tried to use the warranty and they denied him, because it wasn't the "led" itself

Edited by zilla68

Has anyone had experience with Lifetime Led. They supposely have a lifetime warranty.

Those are the Totron lights that has been mentioned. Very overpriced so you are paying for that warranty.

I have to say thou that the quality looked ok to me when I was there given the workers make $110 a month...

Wow, 110 a month???

In 2006 it was $22 a month

Its a communist country - we forget that..

But they work under conditions we would never work and overall they work hard and do good work, its the materials that are substandard

Those are the Totron lights that has been mentioned. Very overpriced so you are paying for that warranty.

The latest Cree LEDs if the heatsink is designed right and there is over and under voltage protection (so they don't run hot) will last in excess of 50,000 hours - thats about 35 years if your use them 4 hours a day everyday, so the LED warranty is "marketing hype.

Even older Epistars are rated for 30,000 hours, the new ones are 50,000 hours too.

If they warranty the lens and power circuit, thats another thing...especially if they get wet often

But overall these things are basic and reliable if good components were used and they were assembled right.

Baja has made their new stuff modular and all parts are field replaceable - that is so good, Also I have no idea how they do it, but they are so bright compared to anything else out there- must be the quality of the focusing and maybe they are overdriving (step up power supply) the LEDs. But they are Expensive.