nitro20%

Help! Here I Go Again,,,a-arms

i really should have looked around for a better car....thought that 20 yrs of dreaming and 3 months of shopping was enough......but had my head stuck in the sand..should have realized there are better sand toys now..DUH..

so i got some front shocks and i went to put them on...and well....here we go again...WTF MAN...i hit a RUTT on that side..cant see anything bend or twisted...the rear mount point is a little ching-gaussoed..but there is no reason this should be this far off...

honesty the a-arms look to be welded that way...now i dont know if Prowlers did it or the other owner /s self-built this car....but there is evidence of braces(the 2 cross brace along the side of each seat) that where put in after the car was PC..along with the panel tabs..my car is turning in to a bitchy girlfreind.Im feel like im gettin so deep into this car that it is just cheaper to cut losses and find a full car minus motor and put this BRAND NEW 2275 in it,,only thing worth anything to me,NOW...

so has anyone seen this on any other prowlers? the other side is off but its workable...im gonna have to cut and weld ..or does anyone have suggestions on other things i can do to figure it out...already tryed loosening the bolt to put a spacer behind the bushing but this is just not gong to be anywhere near..just shoving the arm to far forward...out of sque with the other side..

post-85314-1388372745_thumb.jpg

post-85314-1388372779_thumb.jpg

Can you adjust the heims to help line things up?

Those aren't the strongest front ends in the world. What does the otherside look like? Use a really big crescent wrench to gently bend the tabs to line back up and run it.

If you wanted a show car you should have started from stractch. If you want to dune you gotta keep on fixing...

I had one of those cars some years ago - take a from the top down showing both sides - I'd bet one side is tweaked back - A Come along and tree might be in order

or should i build a front end like on the newer high-jumpers..like the mazzones or JSC's..? with a 1/2in. 6160 aluminum bulk plate...

guess i should just start saving my money for the car that already has what im lookin for....see u in 20 more yrs...FK dont think i could afford a LT...or even fix one when it broke...but a 2 seater mid travel with a-arms..

seen one here that was hiem link all the at around...caught my eye....

or should i build a front end like on the newer high-jumpers..like the mazzones or JSC's..? with a 1/2in. 6160 aluminum bulk plate...

guess i should just start saving my money for the car that already has what im lookin for....see u in 20 more yrs...FK dont think i could afford a LT...or even fix one when it broke...but a 2 seater mid travel with a-arms..

seen one here that was hiem link all the at around...caught my eye....

Hang in there - its fixable

no hiems...hard welded with bushings.....

fullthrottleguy: the car is not close..i keep it at my dads... the arm does seem off where all come together at the tube that the spindle bolts threw....but bent...it just dosent seem like it could bend that way...but ur proly right...as i was already suspecting...just dont know where to start bending and prying at...ill get the pics tomorrow...

dune carver:i know i know...i cant have both...but i can try....i realize that there are things gonna break....and i should have started from scratch...cause all ive been doin is rebuilding..even the webers on the NEW motor i had to rebuild......I personaly have only bend one thing (the spindle) and i wasnt even mad about it..bent it back and off we go...this is shisnit that i should have been conscious about when i went to purchase the car and had a motor built......live and learn...

ur right though

Edited by nitro20%

no hiems...hard welded with bushings.....

fullthrottleguy: the car is not close..i keep it at my dads... the arm does seem off where all come together at the tube that the spindle bolts threw....but bent...it just dosent seem like it could bend that way...but ur proly right...as i was already suspecting...just dont know where to start bending and prying at...ill get the pics tomorrow...

dune carver:i know i know...i cant have both...but i can try....i realize that there are things gonna break....and i should have started from scratch...cause all ive been doin is rebuilding..even the webers on the NEW motor i had to rebuild......I personaly have only bend one thing (the spindle) and i wasnt even mad about it..bent it back and off we go...this is shisnit that i should have been conscious about when i went to purchase the car and had a motor built......live and learn...

ur right though

Mine have a bushing up front where the arms met in the center- if that was tweaked, the arm would move back- rear had a bushing at a 45 degree angle- easy for the arm to slide back. You are just going to have to go there and start measuring it up

I would start by drawing a straight line on the floor (Chalk) and then a parallel line the width of the frame on each side.

Then get some plumb bobs - level the car and start looking - if its off that much you should see from the top down.

I fixed my Hi Jumper a few times with a tree, my Pickup's hitch ball and come a long - they weren't too strong, but they were real lite and fun

needless to say... but i canceled the chroming appointment..

I fixed my Hi Jumper a few times with a tree, my Pickup's hitch ball and come a long - they weren't too strong, but they were real lite and fun

the arm is tweeked back on the bottom bar...so if u were lookin at the side of the car,,,the tube that the spindle bolts through looks bent back at the bottom.. like this (\)..."parenthesizes" is the wheel and the "slash" is the spindle mount...hope im bein clear...

yep LITE....it really gets up and goes...... like my cr500...it just goes where i want it to...

like to shove a 250hp motor in it ...I am a sucker for "Sand Drags" and would like to race it one day...

in fact when i get it back together im goin to race the street 1/4 mile at the Redding Ca. drags...local boys and girls with their moms car...haha..and some others..

ever see a 11sec snowmobile...had like roller blade wheels on the front skis..and a smooth track.like a slick...he said it was his wife's...lol

so i stared at it,, and looked at it,, and measured it.out to center and some other points..looked for cracked PC,,or bent weld joints..then i stared and looked some more...

If there was a bend to cause a 2-3 inch offset,,,i seriously think i would have found it....so i just dont know....ill have to cut the tabs off and move them...the other side is not that bad..about 1inch...

...where is a good start point for a 1st measurement...it dosent seem possible to bend like that...theres too many braces...unless the WHOLE car is twisted..and then the other side is pushed the same way, and that makes no sense, if the car is out of square...right? its like just the bottom tube of the car is pushed back wile the top is NOT.. ....and the a-arm shock mounts are not welded in the same position on both sides....man oh man

i need to find a owner of a Prowlers and ask what theirs looks like...but heres some more pics...prolly wont help me/you much...

post-85314-1388459524.jpg

post-85314-1388459538.jpg

post-85314-1388459570.jpg

post-85314-1388459593.jpg

crap shty pics...2nd pic is the other side...buddy had these shocks laying around...has a offset mount...their just Progressive shocks..but if it fits...wear it right...

so much for my $$$ new shocks for now..

post-85314-1388459946.jpg

4th pic...i loosened the nut and figured id put a spacer in there...but this dosent even make it close..

Edited by nitro20%

Just cut off the tab and reweld it....its a lil better than tweaking metal...you don't want any metal fatique bending back and fourth. Imagine haulin butt and breaking that tab. That shock tab hold your car up bud!

Just cut off the tab and reweld it....its a lil better than tweaking metal...you don't want any metal fatique bending back and fourth. Imagine haulin butt and breaking that tab. That shock tab hold your car up bud!

By looking at the pic, the arm is fo sure bent though

Curious as to what chassis that is?

It it an SS6?

the spindles look different from what I am use to seeing.

Curious as to what chassis that is?

It it an SS6?

the spindles look different from what I am use to seeing.

figured it was a SS3-X...loped rear frame..battery on the left side and the X bars on top..

the spindles are just bent sheet metal and a spud welded into it...that bolts through a 3/4 dom tube welded to the a-arm...not to complicated...

By looking at the pic, the arm is fo sure bent though

yea...i think the a-arms where welded up by the original owner...they really looks amateur...and the shock tabs on the a-arms are not welded the same on both...and cutting the tabs from the frame is what im prolly gonna do...they have cracked PC and are really in a wrong position for pressure..

but the welds on the car and the arms do NOT match...dont think prowlers would let that shotty work on the arms go out the production door...IM hopein..

Edited by nitro20%

heres a blown up one...its really not bent...as you can see i have the arms about parallel...but that one is way off...but u cant see it from this angle

post-85314-1388465422_thumb.jpg

Edited by nitro20%

Yeah, I see it in your sig now. From the last shot there, I see it is the same front end that I had on my 4. I had 2 different kinds of spindles that came from Prowlers, the original chrome bent/stamped ones (not sheet metal, more like 3/16" or 1/4") that ended up tweaking and their raw replacements that were welded and gusseted. They would no longer chrome them so I had them pc'd.

As for quality, the fitment was good but they left a ton of weld spatter on them with zero attempt to clean anything up.

Those spindles don't look like either one that I had. Can you get a close up of one.

Have you measured from mounting point to mounting point on the frame? Basically cross tape them to see if it all measures the same.

heres a blown up one...its really not bent...as you can see i have the arms about parallel...but that one is way off...but u cant see it from this angle

Looks like it could be bent 1/2" to 3/4"

You need to do some X measurements at this point before cutting things up IMO

post-36271-1388516550_thumb.jpg

Edited by fullthrottleguy

I think you just need to pull a measurement from where the rear part of the front arm bolts to the side to where the front part of the arm bolts up to the front....or the opposite arm to opposite arm.

Maybe check the shock mounts the same way.

Edited by spize909

I think you just need to pull a measurement from where the rear part of the front arm bolts to the side to where the front part of the arm bolts up to the front....or the opposite arm to opposite arm.

didnt get anything done today.i needed a break...

...did you say that u had a set of spindles..?

yep..i have no idea now......took the a-arms off..their the same.....theres NO way that the frame is bent this much with out me seeing it...leaning toward cuting and moving the shockmounts....or making a set of new a-arms....but u can see here that there is 3 inches at that back mount.and it still is off alittle..no way im not seeing this bend somewhere...no cracked powder coat or bubble or dents on any welded connections....im just stuck?

post-85314-1388728450_thumb.jpg