Vincent J. Brunasso

Judge Illston Rules On New Ramp

When can i drive in the newly opened areas ?

90 days after the ROD according to the RAMP :sha:

Ahhh

I am semi retarded sooo thanks for nothing :nag::sha:

"1.2 Termination of Interim Closures

Pursuant to the Order of the U.S. District Court (Center for Biological Diversity v. BLM, C 03-2509 SI, Sept. 26, 2006), the BLM has been

maintaining interim closures as identified in the “Temporary Closure of Approximately 49,300 Acres to Motorized Vehicle Use of Five

Selected Areas in the [imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area],” 66 Federal Register 53, 431-02 (Oct. 22, 2001). All injunctive relief

including the closures, shall expire 90 days after issuance of the ROD, unless the original parties file a response with the District Court

explaining why the terms of the Court’s Order should continue. In the event the original parties file a response objecting to the expiration

of the Order, the District Court will, as appropriate, issue an Order either terminating or amending the original Order, set a status

conference, and/or request further briefing."

Taken from the Recreation Area Management Plan (RAMP) under the Record Of Decision (ROD) subsection. I would assume that the ROD

became effective the day the court ruled in favor of the RAMP. Just how I interpret what I have read so it could be way off the mark.

Ahhh

Pursuant to the Order of the U.S. District Court (Center for Biological Diversity v. BLM, C 03-2509 SI, Sept. 26, 2006), the BLM has been

maintaining interim closures as identified in the “Temporary Closure of Approximately 49,300 Acres to Motorized Vehicle Use of Five

Selected Areas in the [imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area],” 66 Federal Register 53, 431-02 (Oct. 22, 2001). All injunctive relief

including the closures, shall expire 90 days after issuance of the ROD, unless the original parties file a response with the District Court

explaining why the terms of the Court’s Order should continue. In the event the original parties file a response objecting to the expiration

of the Order, the District Court will, as appropriate, issue an Order either terminating or amending the original Order, set a status

Taken from the Recreation Area Management Plan (RAMP) under the Record Of Decision (ROD) subsection. I would assume that the ROD

became effective the day the court ruled in favor of the RAMP. Just how I interpret what I have read so it could be way off the mark.

sorta makes sense ?

but in 90 days it could get a donkey punch from the eco natzis correct ?

Ahhh

sorta makes sense ?

but in 90 days it could get a donkey punch from the eco natzis correct ?

Court has heard arguments from both sides and issued a decision. I would think an appeal could be filed based on the legality of the decision

if in fact there is an issue that can be proven. I believe you have a limited amount of time to file for an appeal but not sure what that would

be for this type of case.

From the looks of the map, if you camp at Gordons there is no access to Paton Hill from Sand Highway.

That's not necessarily a bad thing....

Unless it's you that breaks down, Runs low on fuel, Starts to run out of light or have an injured person who you need to get back to Gordons. Don't forget that the Eco-Nazi's will be watching to make sure we can be trusted not to infringe on the permanent closures and if we do and we are going to let's face it they will use those infringements to close down the entire ISDRA.

I want to thank the ASA and everyone involved who helped get this ruling. It may not be everything we originally wanted, but it sure is better than what we have now. I really get sick and tired of hearing people bash the ASA for what they have done. Without the ASA and it's volunteers, we would have nothing. I, myself have volunteered numerous hours selling raffle tickets, handing out info, talking to people about getting involved, donating money, and trying to save our dunes. I've given up many weekends trying to help our cause. And I know of several other folks here who have done the same. The unfortunate thing here is that I usually see the same folks over and over volunteering their time. Very seldom are there new faces.

If you are one of those volunteers, thank you so much. If you haven't volunteered, then maybe you should step up to the plate and get involved. You can learn quite a bit, and it is usually a lot of fun. It has been a long, long journey. But anyone who has ever dealt with the legal system in this country knows that is takes years and years to get things accomplished. This is unfortunate, but it is what it is.

From the BLM site:

The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) announced today that locations previously identified as closed for off-highway vehicle (OHV) use will change in the fall of 2014. A recent court decision paved the way for the BLM to implement the Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area Management Plan (RAMP), allowing for increased OHV riding opportunities in the recreation area and for better protection of natural resource values such as the Peirson's milkvetch.

Implementation of the Imperial Sand Dunes RAMP requires education and outreach such as new maps and signing directing riders to open areas and away from closures intended to protect critical habitat for Peirson's milkvetch. The BLM will seek assistance from local partners to help with this effort in preparation for the upcoming 2014-2015 season and requests that visitors continue to respect all existing regulatory signs until they are changed.

"Visitors to the Imperial Sand Dunes have patiently waited for implementation of the new RAMP, and we are very excited that new riding opportunities are just around the corner," said El Centro Field Manager Thomas Zale. "I appreciate the cooperative spirit of our dunes visitors and will be working hard with staff and partners to get ready for great times next season in America's Great Outdoors!"

The RAMP Record of Decision was issued in June 2013 and provides guidance of management to over 160,000 acres in the Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area and over 50,000 acres of public lands in the surrounding area. The Record of Decision is located at the following website: http://www.blm.gov/style/medialib/blm/ca/p...-ramp_final.pdf.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/info/newsroom/...pril/isdra.html

Map added:

Open_Dunes.pdf

Edited by TedRam

From the BLM site:

The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) announced today that locations previously identified as closed for off-highway vehicle (OHV) use will change in the fall of 2014. A recent court decision paved the way for the BLM to implement the Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area Management Plan (RAMP), allowing for increased OHV riding opportunities in the recreation area and for better protection of natural resource values such as the Peirson's milkvetch.

Implementation of the Imperial Sand Dunes RAMP requires education and outreach such as new maps and signing directing riders to open areas and away from closures intended to protect critical habitat for Peirson's milkvetch. The BLM will seek assistance from local partners to help with this effort in preparation for the upcoming 2014-2015 season and requests that visitors continue to respect all existing regulatory signs until they are changed.

"Visitors to the Imperial Sand Dunes have patiently waited for implementation of the new RAMP, and we are very excited that new riding opportunities are just around the corner," said El Centro Field Manager Thomas Zale. "I appreciate the cooperative spirit of our dunes visitors and will be working hard with staff and partners to get ready for great times next season in America's Great Outdoors!"

The RAMP Record of Decision was issued in June 2013 and provides guidance of management to over 160,000 acres in the Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area and over 50,000 acres of public lands in the surrounding area. The Record of Decision is located at the following website: http://www.blm.gov/style/medialib/blm/ca/p...-ramp_final.pdf.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/info/newsroom/...pril/isdra.html

Regardless of when they get their new signs up, the "federal" law says the areas are open 90 days after the ROD pending any filings that might happen during the 90 day period after the ROD date.

Court has heard arguments from both sides and issued a decision. I would think an appeal could be filed based on the legality of the decision

if in fact there is an issue that can be proven. I believe you have a limited amount of time to file for an appeal but not sure what that would

be for this type of case.

From the ASA Attorney Dave Hubbard:

Under Rule 4 of the Federal Rules of Appellate Procedure, CBD has 30 days following entry of judgment (which hasn't happened yet but will take place soon) to file an appeal. Once the appeal is filed, CBD can request a stay or injunction.

It was also mentioned that there is a good chance that the 9th Circuit would deny any such request.

Does anyone have a more detailed map? I'm a Gordon's Well guy so this RAMP doesn't sit well with me. Last time I looked at the proposed maps I believe these new closures down south are mostly the low lying areas between sand highway and the bowls but I'd like to see it again with some better detail.

Does anyone have a more detailed map? I'm a Gordon's Well guy so this RAMP doesn't sit well with me. Last time I looked at the proposed maps I believe these new closures down south are mostly the low lying areas between sand highway and the bowls but I'd like to see it again with some better detail.

The GPS coordinates of the critical habitat / new closures are listed in the document at: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2008-02-14...-545.pdf#page=1

As it sits today You will have to enter the dunes at the beginning of the drags. Since I dune everywhere it really doesn't bother me. My brother in law on the other hand does not dune and enjoys hanging out at camp and drives his rzr down sand highway to the hills. The new ramp basically ruins Gordon's for people like him and little kids that can only get to Patton's valley via sand highway. They should have at least left the road between sand highway and Patton's open. I really hope they reconsider. When I talked to BLM at the SSS it was almost like no one had even brought up the issue......

The GPS coordinates of the critical habitat / new closures are listed in the document at: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2008-02-14...-545.pdf#page=1

Siriously? What am I supposed to do with a thousand GPS coords? Lol.

As it sits today You will have to enter the dunes at the beginning of the drags. Since I dune everywhere it really doesn't bother me. My brother in law on the other hand does not dune and enjoys hanging out at camp and drives his rzr down sand highway to the hills. The new ramp basically ruins Gordon's for people like him and little kids that can only get to Patton's valley via sand highway. They should have at least left the road between sand highway and Patton's open. I really hope they reconsider. When I talked to BLM at the SSS it was almost like no one had even brought up the issue......

I remember seeing a more detailed map of the different proposed RAMPs. I seem to remember them leaving the entrance to Patton Valley open for the non-duners. Hard to tell on this one though.

Siriously? What am I supposed to do with a thousand GPS coords? Lol.

I remember seeing a more detailed map of the different proposed RAMPs. I seem to remember them leaving the entrance to Patton Valley open for the non-duners. Hard to tell on this one though.

When I talked to BLM at the SSS they said that map with it being open was a typo.

A typo? Really? Lol. I'm going to guess they had no clue. I can't decide if this bothers me or not. The only time I use sand highway is when running up to Glamis. Other than that, I'm in the bowls. But it's going to suck when someone in your train breaks down and needs to be towed through 5 sets of dunes to get to some flatter ground.

A typo? Really? Lol. I'm going to guess they had no clue. I can't decide if this bothers me or not. The only time I use sand highway is when running up to Glamis. Other than that, I'm in the bowls. But it's going to suck when someone in your train breaks down and needs to be towed through 5 sets of dunes to get to some flatter ground.

Yep and his response to that was, "you got it out there so you need to get it back without going through the closed area."

Yep and his response to that was, "you got it out there so you need to get it back without going through the closed area."

Looks like no more rangers in pickup trucks at Patton...unless they are "exempt" from the closures.

And I'm ok with that! They can take the dumpsters and crappers next, then drop the damn fee to get in/on to the dunes!

Edited by madweazl

The new RAMP, as sweet as it is for the folks that stay up North (Gecko/washes etc) it will put a burden on the Gordon's Well folks trying to get into Patton the easy way.

Your help is needed to start removing the closure stakes.

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/re...ab-d4ae52844279

The new RAMP, as sweet as it is for the folks that stay up North (Gecko/washes etc) it will put a burden on the Gordon's Well folks trying to get into Patton the easy way.

post-7484-1397246226_thumb.jpg

I see more people going to Ogilby and getting to Pattons by way of the small dunes.

. Funny thing is, there is way more PMV in that area..

OGILBY SUCKS!!! don't go there.............. everyone gets stuck on the road in................tons of Rangers---- Dunes Suck--- always windy----too many loud camps------bunch of camp thieves show up----up hill both ways-----

Actually, he is right.

Camping at Patton is not for the faint of heart. The road is a single lane wide, rough, not maintained well, and often has soft spots and many rigs get stuck (both motorhomes and 4x4 pulling trailers). There are no bathrooms or porta pottys and no dumpsters. You must carry out your waste & trash (novel idea?) and the area is the cleanest of all the other camp areas.

There is no 'road' to Patton from the camp area, but there are 2.5 miles of little dunes to navigate and several very whooped out sand wash sections. Few people actually try to take there street trucks through there. The dunes on the eastern half of the dunes are smaller and tighter, so the rails will still need to go to the Gordons Wells side to run, costing more in fuel. If you break down and need to be towed back, its not fun getting out of the big dunes only to have 2.5+ miles of little dunes to tow through....

If you cant really dune and need a sand highway to get around, you better stay at Gordons Well or go to Glamis to camp.

Edited by azsandrider

OGILBY SUCKS!!! don't go there.............. everyone gets stuck on the road in................tons of Rangers---- Dunes Suck--- always windy----too many loud camps------bunch of camp thieves show up----up hill both ways-----

+1

The BLM is working on a new map and as soon as it is available, we will post it.

Nicole Nicholas Gilles

Executive Director