riceman1

Hayabusa Engine Problems

Its an 02 stock Busa in my car, I have installed a new few pump, had the valves done, different injectors and throttle bodies, new spark plugs

and the problem is,

Sometimes it will not start, it sputters, pops, and it acts like not firing. it can take a half dozen times or more to get it started

and when it finally does start its running rough and then smooth's out.

and then sometimes it starts very quick and runs great, its not showing any codes and im lost on this one

Could a sensor be going bad and not show a code for it

Any help or input is appreciated

Its an 02 stock Busa in my car, I have installed a new few pump, had the valves done, different injectors and throttle bodies, new spark plugs

and the problem is,

Sometimes it will not start, it sputters, pops, and it acts like not firing. it can take a half dozen times or more to get it started

and when it finally does start its running rough and then smooth's out.

and then sometimes it starts very quick and runs great, its not showing any codes and im lost on this one

Could a sensor be going bad and not show a code for it

Any help or input is appreciated

Buddy's did the same thing and I believe it was the wire connections on the fuel injectors...wouldn't start good and idled really rough....

It was running great at the dunes and the next morning we went for a ride and it had no power wouldn't accelerate, so after everything I have done to it still has starting issues

and when its doesn't start quick it runs bad like its not firing correctly or to much fuel. im ready to set it a blaze

Like bizness said, I would check the wiring, if you have had all that repaired or fixed, and it was running good since the maintenance, then something may have come loose. Check your grounds and wiring. I had a similar issue on my zx14 it got hot, the ground under the plastic reservoir melted into the plastic, it was barely getting a full connection to the ground. Hope this helps!

02'? How used is the engine? With all that you've done, I think a valve adjustment should be performed if it's a well used motor. If they are too tight they will prevent enough air to enter the cylinders... just sounds to me like good peace of mind type maintenance. Good luck!

Edited to add: went back and re-read the "valves part" crappers!

Edited by Chingon619

When it runs crappy, is it running on all cylinders?

If the valves were out, they would be noticeably clicking. Not disagreeing with ya Chingon, could be valves but he would notice the noise. Loose or too tight.

If the valves were out, they would be noticeably clicking. Not disagreeing with ya Chingon, could be valves but he would notice the noise. Loose or too tight.

Roger that, I went through something similar with a bike that wouldn't start very well... It would take some serious cranking and then when it finally ran, it was weak and such... no valve noise but when a bike mechanic said "hey, valves!" I was shocked at the night and day difference after setting them properly. The bike purrs and fires right up ever since. Shouldn't be hard to diag this Busa' issue though....

Could it be the Stator? doesn't it create the spark? maybe weak or going bad? jes' tryin'na help...

Have you checked all the vacuum lines. What is the fuel pressure should be at 43#.

This is just a thought. I have a fuel filter that can be changed out. One time I started having a problem and I changed that fuel filter, but I forgot there is a screen filter that is on the input of the fuel pump itself. I pulled and cleaned that screen filter on the input side of the fuel pump and no more issues. Edit= I just saw that you said that you replaced the fuel pump.

Edited by b250r

I don't remember the exact symptoms I was having, but my old Busa had an issue with the cam sensor/ reluctor. There is a little metal stub pressed into the end of the camshaft that the cam sensor uses to read rpm. It was loose causing some issues. I seem to remember it being a cutting out/ no start condition. All it took was a nice little tap with a chisel on the cam next to where it presses in to keep it from falling back out. Worth a shot to check. The valve cover is easy to pull off.

Good luck!