madweazl

The Fishing Hole

We're heading to Twin Lakes up in Bridgeport on Saturday for a 7 day trip and all my gear is in the WW out in AZ so I used it as a good excuse to buy some new stuff. Most of it was purchased at Walmart and the like so I decided it was time to step up to the next level and got some respectable entry level gear. I had a Berkley Trout Dough rod with a Pflueger President (6920) behind the seat of the truck from the last time we went fishing (2 years ago) and it worked fine for it's purpose but I wanted something to cast some medium and larger size freshwater lures too so I grabbed a Fenwick HMX (6'6" light 2 piece) and a St Croix Premier (6'6" medium 2 piece) along with another Pflueger President (6930). For the money, that reel just kicks ass ($50-60). I still need to grab a reel for the Fenwick and might go with a Penn since they're still made in the USA (even though Fenwick caved and moved their operation to China).

We're going to hike up to another small lake above the twins (roughly two hours) so I figured a nice tackle backpack would be handy. There are mosquitos everywhere and it's handy to have free hands to smash the little bastards with! I was able to find the Spiderwire pack online and order one for myself and the old man too (brother is SOL). It holds three, 360 sized storage boxes, has a semi insulated compartment that holds a 6-pack, and a pretty good sized compartment above that to store whatever along with a number of pockets that are smartly laid out including a padded sunglass pocket. It will hold a rod/reel on each side as well. The back has very nice padding as do the straps. The zippers are a bit cheap but will be fine as long as you treat them right.

I went with Pline 4lb flourocarbon on the St Croix but will jump up to 6lb if the Fenwick arrives before we leave (ordered online). The lil Trout Dough has 2lb izor monofilament. We've always had really good results up there but average 12" rainbows. This year I want something in the 12-24" range and I want to catch browns hence the larger rods vice what I've used in the past. This also meant much larger tackle (usually fish 1/8-1/4oz lures) so I grabbed an array of favorites all the way up to 3/4oz and a few things in between as well. Lures are the typical favorites for trout, Panther Martins, Blue Fox, Krockodile, Kastmasters, Roostertails, and Rapalas. The smaller fish up there love Gulp dough, eggs, and mousetails so we grabbed those as well.

We'll fish the shore for about four days, rent a pontoon for one, and hike up to the other lakes for a day or two as well.

rod_zps94dd8c20.jpg

reel_zpse9960c20.jpg

20140617_074739_zps15430d20.jpg

20140617_074853_zpsf86bd9ee.jpg

Edited by madweazl

St. Croix are nice rods. Have a great time!

Here's a little fish story for ya Weaz!

post-4654-1403019059_thumb.jpg

Thats some nice stuff I just go to Stater Brothers

Just got back from Mammoth but I love DVL.

post-17367-1403023689_thumb.jpg

post-17367-1403023707_thumb.jpg

post-17367-1403023723_thumb.jpg

post-17367-1403023745.jpg

What the hell is it?

looks like a fish to me :elaugh:

Diamond Valley Lake

We're heading to Twin Lakes up in Bridgeport on Saturday for a 7 day trip and all my gear is in the WW out in AZ so I used it as a good excuse to buy some new stuff. Most of it was purchased at Walmart and the like so I decided it was time to step up to the next level and got some respectable entry level gear. I had a Berkley Trout Dough rod with a Pflueger President (6920) behind the seat of the truck from the last time we went fishing (2 years ago) and it worked fine for it's purpose but I wanted something to cast some medium and larger size freshwater lures too so I grabbed a Fenwick HMX (6'6" light 2 piece) and a St Croix Premier (6'6" medium 2 piece) along with another Pflueger President (6930). For the money, that reel just kicks ass ($50-60). I still need to grab a reel for the Fenwick and might go with a Penn since they're still made in the USA (even though Fenwick caved and moved their operation to China).

We're going to hike up to another small lake above the twins (roughly two hours) Barney Lake so I figured a nice tackle backpack would be handy. There are mosquitos everywhere and it's handy to have free hands to smash the little bastards with! I was able to find the Spiderwire pack online and order one for myself and the old man too (brother is SOL). It holds three, 360 sized storage boxes, has a semi insulated compartment that holds a 6-pack, and a pretty good sized compartment above that to store whatever along with a number of pockets that are smartly laid out including a padded sunglass pocket. It will hold a rod/reel on each side as well. The back has very nice padding as do the straps. The zippers are a bit cheap but will be fine as long as you treat them right.

I went with Pline 4lb flourocarbon on the St Croix but will jump up to 6lb if the Fenwick arrives before we leave (ordered online). The lil Trout Dough has 2lb izor monofilament. We've always had really good results up there but average 12" rainbows. This year I want something in the 12-24" range and I want to catch browns hence the larger rods vice what I've used in the past. This also meant much larger tackle (usually fish 1/8-1/4oz lures) so I grabbed an array of favorites all the way up to 3/4oz and a few things in between as well. Lures are the typical favorites for trout, Panther Martins, Blue Fox, Krockodile, Kastmasters, Roostertails, and Rapalas. The smaller fish up there love Gulp dough, eggs, and mousetails so we grabbed those as well.

We'll fish the shore for about four days, rent a pontoon for one, and hike up to the other lakes for a day or two as well.

rod_zps94dd8c20.jpg

reel_zpse9960c20.jpg

20140617_074739_zps15430d20.jpg

20140617_074853_zpsf86bd9ee.jpg

I had to look up those "mouse tails"..

Looks just like a little ball Zeke's and half a night crawler. Used to knock'em dead back in the day with that combo! :lol:

Look up Yo Zuri lures, specifically the Gobi. Last time I was up there I was killing them with it.

For bait fishing the 6lb line is too heavy, ok for your lure tossing pole. Do you use 2lb leader? I know it's illegal, but pick up a large jar of feeder eggs and chum when no ones looking.😏 the tackle store in bishop next to the waffle place usually has it.

I love fishing!!!! I keep a trailer in bishop/Crowley year round and try to get up a couple weekends a month and fly fish Here are some of my biggest catches from this year! (caught and released)

post-9058-1403055704.jpg

post-9058-1403055823_thumb.jpg

post-9058-1403055858_thumb.jpg

My boys and I made it up to Laurel lake just outside of Mammoth a few weekends ago.

We didn't plan on fishing and only had 1 pole. Need to plan a trip back better prepared to fish.

post-10649-1403056560_thumb.jpg

I gotta wait another month before i go fishing.Headed to twin lakes mammoth for 4 nights the other 2?? maybe bishop area or lee vining creek like last year who knows.

the story fish is a white sea bass. tasty fish.

For bait fishing the 6lb line is too heavy, ok for your lure tossing pole. Do you use 2lb leader? I know it's illegal, but pick up a large jar of feeder eggs and chum when no ones looking.😏 the tackle store in bishop next to the waffle place usually has it.

The bait is on the 5'6" rod with 2lb monofilament. The St Croix has 4lb flourocarbon and the Fenwick will flip between 4lb and 6lb as we start trolling.

I love fishing!!!! I keep a trailer in bishop/Crowley year round and try to get up a couple weekends a month and fly fish Here are some of my biggest catches from this year! (caught and released)

Those are some nice rainbows! We've wanted to stop at Crowley but we never end up doing it.

What the hell is it?

White sea bass 50+ lbs

I love fishing too!

Headed to Kern river this weekend for 10 days. Fish report on river is pretty bad right now. Isabella not looking so good either. Dont matter though. A bad week fishing beats a goos week working.

My 5lb bow from the opener weekend in april at June Lake, and the temp and time I landed it.

post-16784-1403067791_thumb.jpg

post-16784-1403067807_thumb.jpg

You guys try not to be jealous of my monster bass.

post-8772-1403068070_thumb.jpg

I take it your in the witness protection program...lol

Weazl.........................My fishing story!!! Peace

post-27-1403105456_thumb.jpg

Samplr get something in his eye while fishing?

Prefer Salt, but hey fishing is fishing..

Aug 2012 - Mother n Law fought this one for the win off San Carlos

post-1821-1403106576_thumb.png

Love Bridgeport area, my father in-law and I like to creek fish not lake... We usually stay at doc and al's and fish the Robinson, Buckeye and Green creeks. Took my 5th wheel back into Buckeye campground that was a great trip!