madweazl

The Fishing Hole

Good stuff Ben. I switched all my reels to Avet 2 speeds. Great reels! My counter looked the same, nice haul. I processed fish for 4 hours when I got back after my 2.5 day. Freezer is full!

That was from a 2.5 day in May! Got lucky that trip.

The Avet reels are nothing short of high quality. I think I will add the MX 2 speed raptor and an SX eventually.

Love Twin lakes :ck:

The Avet reels are nothing short of high quality. I think I will add the MX 2 speed raptor and an SX eventually.

I brought home a few yellowfin from a 2.5 in May as well. You weren't on the Chief were you?

Then bft, yft and yt on a 2 day in June and more yft, bft and yt on a 5-5 trip last week.

God damn good fishing and I've yet to be in anything wide open ('cept a couple yellowtail paddies).

I got 2 more short trips and maybe a pb trip or 2 in me and then I got to squirrel away $$$ to have my tranny gone through. I think I'm going to pull it this weekend while I'm smoking tuna :ck:

Edited by spize909

I brought home a few yellowfin from a 2.5 in May as well. You weren't on the Chief were you?

Then bft, yft and yt on a 2 day in June and more yft, bft and yt on a 5-5 trip last week.

Good damn good fishing and I've yet to be in anything wide open ('cept a couple yellowtail paddies).

I got 2 more short trips and maybe a pb trip or 2 in me and then I got to squirrel away $$$ to have my tranny gone through. I think I'm going to pull it this weekend while I'm smoking tuna :ck:

What smoker are you using? I have a bunch of belly's and yet collars I want to smoke and have been looking at different options

I just use an old upright charcoal water smoker. I dry brine, cold smoke and then can. No better smoked fish anywhere.

What boat are those picks from? That gaffer looks familiar.

Here's one of the kid last week.

BradsTuna7-30-14.jpg

and here's the smoker..

smoker.jpg

and Mr. jackpot himself :lol I had a big bluefin on 20 for almost a half hour and pulled the hook right at color on that trip. The yft in the pic was bigger that the three bluefin I got (American waters of course). All tuna on anchovies with a couple yellowtail on macks on that trip.

Yellowfin7-30-14.jpg

Edited by spize909

That's Greg Gawitt, new owner of The Aztec. He Also owns The Pride.

Whats your dry brine?

Edited by matt86m

Kid caught this beauty in my pond this week.

post-13759-1407422651_thumb.jpg

That's Greg Gawitt, new owner of The Aztec. He Also owns The Pride.

Whats your dry brine?

Yeah, the backwards hat was a dead giveaway. I'm guessing that's on the new boat? Really happy for him, he's a stone cold fish killer. To this date the bloodiest, fish killing situation I have ever been in was a Pacific Voyager charter with Greg running the boat about 5-6 years ago. I know he struggled the first couple years with the Pride establishing himself. Once he hit his stride it was all over! I'm bummin cuz I don't think I'll get out with him this year.....maybe though.

Dry brine is 2/3 brown sugar and 1/3 kosher salt packed on the fish for about 40 minutes, than rinse, let dry on racks and throw in the smoker with a cool smoke if you are going to can. I can in a little olive oil if it's alba but the others are oily enough that they don't really need it. If you aren't canning this may not be the best way to do it. I have some that I did and froze in vac bags. So far I have only tried some of the bft belly and really didn't care for it.

I just use an old upright charcoal water smoker. I dry brine, cold smoke and then can. No better smoked fish anywhere.

What boat are those picks from? That gaffer looks familiar.

Here's one of the kid last week.

BradsTuna7-30-14.jpg

and here's the smoker..

smoker.jpg

and Mr. jackpot himself :lol I had a big bluefin on 20 for almost a half hour and pulled the hook right at color on that trip. The yft in the pic was bigger that the three bluefin I got (American waters of course). All tuna on anchovies with a couple yellowtail on macks on that trip.

Yellowfin7-30-14.jpg

wow killer fish !

smoker looks yummy

Headed to Mammoth for a few days, hopefully the fishing is good. :yay:

Chummin needs to set up a 1/2 day cruise again

post-10143-1407540799_thumb.jpg

Caught beginning of June in Playa Del Carmen

Chummin needs to set up a 1/2 day cruise again

<---IN!

Chummin, gonna have to be a pretty good GD crew with as full as his boats been with the fishing as good as it's been.

We should judge interest and give Coz a call

start a topic to get a head count, I would be game, didnt make it last time but I feel the mojo now

:hethan: Edited by madweazl

Charters take time. Just called and wait for response. when the fish hit, getting a charter is near impossible on short notice.

Might take my boat out to fish the kelp off La Jolla tomorrow :oto:

Edited by fng2moto

Heading offshore in a few hours!

Charters take time. Just called and wait for response. when the fish hit, getting a charter is near impossible on short notice.

Lets get something going.......maybe an extended 3/4 day in Sept?

My sister cooks on the Point Loma. I could look into availability...

Heading offshore in a few hours!

Well???

Oh boy....well, what an interesting trip Saturday.

I chartered a private boat for 5 including myself. The plan was to head 30-40 miles west of pt. loma and target bluefin. Got a phone call at almost midnight from the captain the night before the trip. He asked that we be at the dock an hour earlier due to long waits at the bait barge. Sure thing, no problem!

Well, we arrived an hour early only to stand around for an hour! Apparently the Captain was having printer difficulties when printing out Visas the day of the trip. ( I called him and woke his ass up after a half hour of waiting ). Finally board the boat. Get moving toward the bait barge, another issue, bait tank isn't pumping water. The Captain opens up the engine compartment and unveils the worst wiring mess I have ever seen, and manages to get the tank cycling water.

After we get bait, he tells us we are heading to Coronado for Yellowtail? Uh...ok. But I paid for an offshore ride to get some tuna fish. He says we are going to start there and work our way west. This guys boat wouldn't even plane. We were passed up by the Malihini fishing charter on the way to Coronado! We never saw anything over about 9 knots all day.

PS This guys boat is a 28' flybridge with a Merc V8!

Finally make it to the islands and start trolling. Had a double hook up about a half hour in. See color, capt grabs the gaff and launches a fish onto the deck, landing the other end of the gaff into the back of my head while I am fighting a fish at the stern. "Oops...sorry"

We wound up snagging 18 YT in the morning. What made it extremely difficult was the lack of a freakin bait tank net! I had to fashion a bait-getter out of a water bottle. Catching anchovies gets old fast.

Repeatedly we asked when we were heading west for a shot at the bigger fish and it was always an excuse. The bulk of the day was trolling a figure 8 just north of pukey point.

And the finale, this guy ran the F-ing boat out of gas. Down in the water waiting for sea tow is not fun, especially when you paid for it!

Lessons learned - Be cautious of private charters, bring a spare bait net, and wear a freakin helmet when fishing with Captain eff* Stick!

oh shit.............

well I'm guessing you didn't go offshore cuz he probably didn't have the fuel for it. Is it the guy that advertises trips on Craigslist?

Well at least you got some fish.

Regarding a charter.

Not gonna happen. I tried.

Edited by spize909

BT, what boat? doesn't sound too professional. Too bad you didn't get what you paid for.