Sign in to follow this  
racedezert

Chrome Cost And Businesses In Az

Just curious what the going rate is on chroming these days and if anyone knows of any reputable places in AZ that does good chroming. Preferably in the East Valley. Have not heard good things with Papago Plating but that's about it.

Try metro plating in Mesa. They are competitive in pricing be prepared chrome is not cheap. They are good at keeping the time frame they give.

Metro Plating, Inc. 227 East 10th Drive Mesa, AZ 85210 Phone 480-833-8453 Fax 480-833-8455 mplating1977@gmail.com

Had good luck with Metro.

Thanks all. I'll take a look into Metro Plating.

I have my front end at Metro right now getting done. Not cheap - about double what Papago quoted me, but I had Papago do some stuff 2 years ago and I was not impressed even at half the price or their turnaround.

Skip Papago. Read reviews first. http://www.yellowpages.com/phoenix-az/mip/...524?lid=4550524

They chromed the swing arms on our other rail and it looks like crap. Really thin plating. Shows like a big dull spot. Papago would not re do work either without full charge again

Does it need to be chrome?

Chrome is way expensive to get here I work at a car dealership in Chandler and we send our stuff to CA.

I just powder coated my entire Chassi and all suspension

if you go that route I recommend Affordable Powder Coat.

Does it need to be chrome?

Chrome is way expensive to get here I work at a car dealership in Chandler and we send our stuff to CA.

I just powder coated my entire Chassi and all suspension

if you go that route I recommend Affordable Powder Coat.

Affordable has a near chrome that is very cool.

Good to know about the near chrome finish from Affordable.

near chrome will polish up nice. It is still not quite chrome but looks darn good if you ask me, especially on something that is going to take a lot of abuse like rear trailing arms or something of that nature. Not sure on price difference but it might be worth a look.

I was going to chrome the front end of my car, after speaking to a bunch of people, and only 1 decent chrome shop in Tucson I went all pwder, just dropped off today.

The powder guy said to call chrome calls, chromosexuals, HA HA

I heard that chroming makes the metal brittle. Any truth to that?

That is one thing i was told also not that it will break but the sand may make it chip off

Near Chrome powder coat turns out pretty amazing

I'd doubt it will chip off unless they did a really crappy thin job.

We have a place here in OKC that does tons of show cars, bikes etc. He did my swingarm, a arms all aluminum on my quadzilla when I did it and it held up great. They do it the right way and don't cut any corners.

ship it to me and I'll have them done here and ship back!

There is a problem with chroming called "hard chrome embrittlement"

It does change the characteristics of the metal and makes it less "elastic".

This is a big thing in drag racing in the 80's where basically some sanctioning bodies would not allow chromed suspension after a few crashes that involved tubes cracking and the chrome process being blamed (not proven in any of the cases though)

It appears that Chromo is less susceptible, so it really makes no difference apparently in sand cars. - they test this with an electron microscope and grain patterns - so nothing you can test at home...

The chrome will only crack off if it the metal underneath moves around alot (flexes). So if you see cracks in the chrome, you have a bigger problem

It can peel off if you break the surface by grinding etc. But overall if its true Copper/Nickel/Chrome it will last and be protective.

With the price of copper, most shops do not apply enough and you get poor finish and sometimes rust. The Nickel provides the color and the chrome supplies the gloss, Today most of this is very thin and no one leaves parts in long enough with enough current to make the finish perfect.

EPA rules on chrome shops are killing them - the cost is outrageous due to the filtering of water etc.

Powder coat is definitely taking over..

Edelbrock Endurashine is a great example of "near chrome" powdercoat you can google pictures

My buddy recently closed his chrome shop in CA, has had not made money in 5 year after tripling the prices to keep up and being shut down several times by the EPA - Fines are taxes after all...

I got my chrome a-arms and tie rods back and remembered this thread. I had used Papago Plating in the past and decided to use Metro Plating for this go around and am very pleased with the results. The chrome from Metro looks deep with a mirror finish and they stuck to their promised turnaround time. If anyone is thinking about chrome and is thinking about using Metro, I would recommend them without hesitation. Just don't expect it to be cheap.

Back in the late 80's when I lived in Buena Park, I sent some wheels to a place called Platecorp in Orange to be plated. I was shorted one of the center caps and the office manager suggested I return after hours when it was slower to help the shop foreman look for it. I began asking questions about the process so he gave me a complete tour of the facility and how it was done. From what I remember, there were dozens of tanks with all sorts of bad chemicals in them. The parts came out the other end looking awesome though. It was all about the quality of the polishing that most affected the quality of the finish, the actual metal deposition process was simple enough, it was the preparation of the base metal which made it show chrome or crap. I personally don't think the chrome process would have any effect on the properties of the base metal, but then again I'm not a metallurgist so my opinion doesn't count. haha

I always wondered how Snap-on gets the chrome to stay on their wrenches so well, my wrenches are well over 25 years old and in use daily (I'm a GM tech). The only wear is around the contact areas of the fasteners, not even any chipping after being dropped literally thousands of times onto the ground. Impressive to say the least.

I'd chrome every part on my car if I could afford to.

I love the look of Chrome in the Morning! :sraptor:

no chrome went with powdercoat so many more options

post-54494-1410443117_thumb.jpg

There is a problem with chroming called "hard chrome embrittlement"

It does change the characteristics of the metal and makes it less "elastic".

This is a big thing in drag racing in the 80's where basically some sanctioning bodies would not allow chromed suspension after a few crashes that involved tubes cracking and the chrome process being blamed (not proven in any of the cases though)

It appears that Chromo is less susceptible, so it really makes no difference apparently in sand cars. - they test this with an electron microscope and grain patterns - so nothing you can test at home...

The chrome will only crack off if it the metal underneath moves around alot (flexes). So if you see cracks in the chrome, you have a bigger problem

It can peel off if you break the surface by grinding etc. But overall if its true Copper/Nickel/Chrome it will last and be protective.

With the price of copper, most shops do not apply enough and you get poor finish and sometimes rust. The Nickel provides the color and the chrome supplies the gloss, Today most of this is very thin and no one leaves parts in long enough with enough current to make the finish perfect.

EPA rules on chrome shops are killing them - the cost is outrageous due to the filtering of water etc.

Powder coat is definitely taking over..

Edelbrock Endurashine is a great example of "near chrome" powdercoat you can google pictures

My buddy recently closed his chrome shop in CA, has had not made money in 5 year after tripling the prices to keep up and being shut down several times by the EPA - Fines are taxes after all...

copper is like a primer coating for steel. You copper plate a part, Re polish out the imperfections, then nickel and chrome plate. it is not required for steel, but most show chrome will be copper plated.(and you pay for it) However, It is (or was) required for aluminum and a few other metals.

Edited by PAINTERDUDE